IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Not impressed with footballers still taking their 15/20k a week when everyone else is suffering TBH.

But everyone else isn't suffering.

I am able to work from home, on full pay.

Appreciate that life must be really rough if you aren't in that position and hopefully the measures put in place go some way towards helping.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Measure of character. 

Leeds  players have it. Barca players (though unsure how much choice they had) appear to. Some others too. 

Us? Not. As expected though, par for the course.

Do you know 100% that City don’t have something similar in place?   

• Admin
10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

...plus Bristol Rugby. 

Not City though.

Interesting times when clubs of that size cut or defer their player wages. 

Barca and a much maligned Leeds especially- part of deferral goes to ensure ordinary staff paid in full. Hats off!! ?

Maybe similar with Bristol Rugby too but dunno.

Quite the contrast though, even internally within Bristol Sport...

Leeds players deferring their pay isn’t taking a cut.  Do you know that “ordinary  staff” aren’t getting paid in full?  

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course the stadium staff (majority) will be Furloughed. The stadium is shut - whereas players will be “working from home” keeping fitness levels up. 

Somebody must be cutting the grass......the grounds staff possibly................:cool2:

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

But everyone else isn't suffering.

I am able to work from home, on full pay.

Appreciate that life must be really rough if you aren't in that position and hopefully the measures put in place go some way towards helping.

Footballers do not work from home so why should they be on full pay 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good opportunity to finally sort out the Dolman PA system..............:laugh:

Hahaha

Can imagine Downsy on the Mic by the tunnel and Mark (more than 2 meters away) in the Dolman testing it and deciding that 'if he just shouts, I can hear him without the PA, why don't we just remove it altogether!?!'

Seriously though, I think anything line that is going to be 12 months away, unless people can get back to work and there are deals to be done where companies have near empty order books.

31 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

If was reported the other day that they players will be fined if their body fit isn't within 1.5% of their 'fighting weight'.

So yes, they will be working, they'll be expected to come back fit enough for a first team Championship game. They might be lacking match sharpness, but I don't imagine they will be able to maintain that level of fitness without hard work.

Does your boss fine you if you haven't done something? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

£500 a week if they take a cut in wages welcome to what is happening to a lot of people not everyone can work from home and are on full pay they are the lucky ones 

Surely you are classing a footballers job as only to play football and nothing else?

SO they can’t work from home by keeping fit, their food nutrition etc? 

18 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

£500 a week if they take a cut in wages welcome to what is happening to a lot of people not everyone can work from home and are on full pay they are the lucky ones 

You seem bitter about your own situation (or bitter on behalf of others) and seem to want footballers to make a sacrifice that won't benefit you.

Unless I am reading your messages incorrectly, in which case, I apologise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin Wood said:

Just out of curiosity I read on here that the top city earner is on 35K per week! Just wondering what an earth you spend that much on and whilst sat at home in semi isolation whether guilt ever sets in when thousands if not more are struggling financially 

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

You seem bitter about your own situation (or bitter on behalf of others) and seem to want footballers to make a sacrifice that won't benefit you.

Unless I am reading your messages incorrectly, in which case, I apologise.

No im not bitter i was only trying to say that some people will not be affected where as others will have little income 

17 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Just out of curiosity I read on here that the top city earner is on 35K per week! Just wondering what an earth you spend that much on and whilst sat at home in semi isolation whether guilt ever sets in when thousands if not more are struggling financially 

We don’t know what they are doing with that money, unless they choose to advertise it. Someone like Nahki Wells (the most likely to be on that money) for example may be using it to support his extended family

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We don’t know what they are doing with that money, unless they choose to advertise it. Someone like Nahki Wells (the most likely to be on that money) for example may be using it to support his extended family

I'm not knocking it but when you allegedly get £140,000 a month where does it all go 

Edited by Shaun Taylor

9 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I'm not knocking it but when you allegedly get £140,000 a month where does it all go 

Half of it to the taxman - which helps pay for the NHS and other essential services.

Probably 10% to your agent.

And the rest squirreled away as you try and earn enough in a short career to support yourself for the rest of your natural in comfort. Might get lucky and have years on top money, might be unlucky and forced to retire just as you make it and are looking for employment in no time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Like I said, who knows how they are using it? I remember reading that many footballers pay out thousands a month in personal insurance, then there are probably agents fees,  accountants, schooling including at home and so on. Probably no different to people earning or maintaining  similar or even greater amounts. 

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Leeds players deferring their pay isn’t taking a cut.  Do you know that “ordinary  staff” aren’t getting paid in full?  

I assume Leeds players will be getting a nice lump sum at some time in the future then ?

Or maybe paid back with monthly increments when this is over ?

Hardly an altruistic gesture if this is the case.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given that we appear to be furloughing our staff and given what Gregor said, I believe we might not. 

However, this is a fluid situation. Could easily change soon so I'll stick to the facts for now, from here.

Would AG staff not be separate to Bristol City staff and City players reducing/deferring wages not have an effect on the AG staff being able to be paid?

• Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

To be fair City/Bristol Sport might be topping it up. Gregor (and Red M other day) intimated staff were on furlough however.

Zero hours/matchday stuff will surely get nowt but it's possible I'm unduly pessimistic, or underestimating the Government schemes.

In the case of Leeds granted it is a deferral yes but it seems to ensure that non playing staff there will be paid in full.

Elsewhere, Newcastle are the first PL club to furlough non football/playing staff. Mike Ashley,  are we in good company! 

Interested in how many other Championship clubs have furloughed non playing staff. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hadn't thought of that, good shout. 

That said, AGL appears to be within Bristol City Holdings.

The Bristol Live article says the stadium staff were at risk because of no events at the stadium, does AG as a company take the money from concessions? Lack of that and summer gigs could mean the cash flow issue for them whereas the football side is unaffected if as said everything had been budgeted for the year. As for all being under BC Holdings not sure how diverting payments would affect each section.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Given that we appear to be furloughing our staff and given what Gregor said, I believe we might not. 

However, this is a fluid situation. Could easily change soon so I'll stick to the facts for now, from here.

Any employed staff on furlough are entitled to 80% of their salaries as long as they’ve been employed since February. 80% is how much the employer can get back from the government.