Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Loderingo

The Coronavirus and how it impacts on sport

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Stortz said:

'Confused, dangerous, flippant': rest of world pans PM's handling of coronavirus

The international verdict on Boris Johnson and his zigzag handling of the pandemic has been damning, with responses ranging from bafflement and disbelief to anger.

Many consider the prime minister’s initial laissez-faire approach to the crisis, followed by contradictory signals about his government’s strategy, as an inexplicable bout of British exceptionalism.

“Boris Johnson had gone out publicly and essentially asked Britons ... to accept death,” said the Greek newspaper Ethnos. It declared him “more dangerous than coronavirus”.

On Sunday, Singapore’s national development minister, Lawrence Wong, said the UK and Switzerland had “abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus”.

The New York Times accused Johnson of sowing confusion. “He has seemed like a leader acting under duress ... playing catch-up to a private sector that had already acted on its own.”

Politicians, scientists and commentators greeted the prime minister’s U-turn on Monday night, when he ordered a UK-wide lockdown, as a belated but welcome decision to join the rest of Europe, and much of the world, in a necessary strategy.

The mystery is why it took so long.

Last week Ireland, which shares a land border with the UK, struggled to understand Downing Street’s hesitation. “Boris Johnson is gambling with the health of his citizens,” said the Irish Times.

On Tuesday, after the prime minister’s sudden reversal, one official in Dublin expressed relief. “The Brits were doing their own thing and it looked like we were going to have to live with it. They got there in the end.”

It was a variation of an observation attributed to Winston Churchill about America doing the right thing after exhausting all other options.

Foreign observers had become accustomed to Johnson’s breezy pronouncements on Britain steering its own course during Brexit showdowns last year but they winced at hearing the same tone in the context of a global health emergency.

He appeared at press conferences alongside the chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, and the chief scientific adviser, Patrick Vallance, but instead of reassurance Vallance caused consternation by appearing to endorse the idea of allowing much of the population to become infected to develop “herd immunity”.

Last week the prime minister made an initial concession to physical distancing – a key tactic to slow contagion – by asking people to avoid pubs. But he did not close them and many people, including his own father, Stanley, cheerily said they still planned to go out for a drink. Nevertheless, Johnson expressed confidence such limited measures were working and could “turn the tide” within 12 weeks.

Many outsiders were aghast. The pandemic was out of control in Italy and Spain, killing thousands, and surging across the globe, prompting a scramble to emulate Chinese-style lockdowns.

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, reportedly threatened to close France’s border with Britain last Friday if it did not intensify measures.

Others worried about the fate of friends and relatives in Britain. Giorgio Gori, the mayor of Bergamo, the city hardest hit by Italy’s coronavirus outbreak, flew his two daughters out of the UK, deeming them safer at home.

“When I saw what the English government was thinking about this problem, I decided to bring them back, because I think that even if we are at the centre of the epidemic, probably they are more secure here than in England, because I don’t understand why the government didn’t decide in time to protect their citizens,” he told Sky News.

Greece, an early adopter of draconian measures, also became alarmed. It has one of the largest overseas student communities in the UK, much of which has been repatriated and ordered into a 14-day quarantine. Athens suspended all flights to Britain on Monday until 15 April.

Not everyone lamented the UK’s foot-dragging.

On Monday, before Johnson’s U-turn, a son of Brazil’s president, Jair Bolsonaro, defended his father’s much-criticised response to the pandemic by citing Johnson.

Eduardo Bolsonaro tweeted a 22 March video of Johnson encouraging British citizens to use local parks. “Coronavirus is very serious but the country cannot stop,” he said. “The British prime minister advised his people to take exercise in public parks.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/confused-dangerous-flippant-worlds-media-pans-pms-handling-of-coronavirus-boris-johnson

The Guardian can do one

  • Like 8
  • Hedgehog 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

This is probably a totally stupid question but does anyone know if takeaways/chippies are exempt from the closures?

Gilda has three open tonight I’ve just walked past 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Gilda has three open tonight I’ve just walked past 

I hope Paprika was one of them, might have to treat myself this week....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I hope Paprika was one of them, might have to treat myself this week....

No it was Blue Ginger, Oscars and Bristol Kebab House 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, wood_red said:

A very fair bit of in depth journalism there.......

It's not going to win any Pulitzer Prizes for sure, but it links to sources and is full of direct quotes.

Could you provide an article with sources from around the world arguing what a fantastic job he's done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, pillred said:

On 10th march 14 days ago Italy had 631 deaths so a lot more than us at the same stage. our number increased 87 from yesterday the previous days figure in Italy 9th March was 168 lower so their increase was nearly twice ours we are no longer on the same trajectory it seems.

We haven’t counted today’s deaths have we?

Our latest figures would be from the 23rd??

Don't know for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, reddoc said:

Hey this sounds like a fun game.

You carry on as normal , wandering round infecting people, and then you can pass them over to me to decide which ones live and which ones die.

Maybe at some point I could give you a list, let you chose, fancy that?

I get your sentiment, but I'm not wondering around. I'm at work. The government has allowed us to do this. 

And by not supporting the self employed to the same extent as everyone else, there making us make a very hard choice. 

Your point should be directed at the government. 'support the SE so they stop going out' or something like that. Not, 'pick who lives you monster'. 

We just want a fair crack, nothing more.

If No1 was getting paid to sit at home and they had the choice to work they would be if they had too.  End of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

I get your sentiment, but I'm not wondering around. I'm at work. The government has allowed us to do this. 

And by not supporting the self employed to the same extent as everyone else, there making us make a very hard choice. 

Your point should be directed at the government. 'support the SE so they stop going out' or something like that. Not, 'pick who lives you monster'. 

We just want a fair crack, nothing more.

If No1 was getting paid to sit at home and they had the choice to work they would be if they had too.  End of.

You are being supported.

How much do you think front line care staff e.g. auxiliary nurses, care assistants, support workers are paid to possibly put their lives at risk.. Try less than you will get as a damp proofer to stay at home.

 

 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

For those of us wondering if we had already had a mild form of the virus already. One research model suggests we might have.

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fbclid=IwAR0t9k4JbS64ewd6UwLfRWxWp8NdjdYbpnB2VyRgVVnknt3Gje9kZfd1Ktc

Unfortunately its behind a pay wall.

But I don't doubt it at all.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You are being supported.

How much do you think front line care staff e.g. auxiliary nurses, care assistants, support workers are paid to possibly put their lives at risk.. Try less than you will get as a roofer to stay at home.

 

 

Again, not taking anything away from people on the front line. This was not even mentioned or implied. So why is this reasonable to some how make my point invalid? We should give those guys everything they need and more. 

Just want the same support as the employed. It's simple really. That way we can support our NHS by staying at home. 

We just want the same. Nothing more. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

I get your sentiment, but I'm not wondering around. I'm at work. The government has allowed us to do this. 

And by not supporting the self employed to the same extent as everyone else, there making us make a very hard choice. 

Your point should be directed at the government. 'support the SE so they stop going out' or something like that. Not, 'pick who lives you monster'. 

We just want a fair crack, nothing more.

If No1 was getting paid to sit at home and they had the choice to work they would be if they had too.  End of.

Government needs to play fair with the self employed as they have done with companies that employ PAYE (we'll see how that turns out..).

You should have no guilt at all and shouldn't need to explain yourself. The problem lies with the government for announcing this lock down before sorting out the self employed. I understand it is more complex than PAYE and they needed to get the lock down in place, but they should have exempted the self employed and issued safety guidelines until the payment mechanisms were in place.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Government needs to play fair with the self employed as they have done with companies that employ PAYE (we'll see how that turns out..).

You should have no guilt at all and shouldn't need to explain yourself. The problem lies with the government for announcing this lock down before sorting out the self employed. I understand it is more complex than PAYE and they needed to get the lock down in place, but they should have exempted the self employed and issued safety guidelines until the payment mechanisms were in place.

 

 

 

Surely they know the tax returns for the self employed, just as the have the PAYE details for those on that.  I appreciate it isn't going to be a two minute job to collate all of that info and ensure the right people get it, but they have the info.  I assume if you don't PAYE or submit a tax return you are a pensioner or on benefit, so will get paid, if no records you would be part of the black economy, so won't get a bean

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Again, not taking anything away from people on the front line. 

Yes you are.

26 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

 This was not even mentioned or implied. So why is this reasonable to some how make my point invalid? We should give those guys everything they need and more. 

 

We need you to stay at home.

26 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Just want the same support as the employed. It's simple really. That way we can support our NHS by staying at home. 

 

You will be supported to stay at home. 

And you could be better supported than those who work in front line services. Auxiliary nurses, care assistants rarely earn more than £16000 a year. Frequently far less.

26 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

We just want the same. Nothing more. 

Read the above again. You want more.

Personally I would like to see a series of fines for the selfish and stupid bell ends in society who will put the staff of the NHS at risk. These bell end fines can then be used to pay the NHS staff bonuses once this is over as a small means of saying thank you for what is being done on behalf of society. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Aubergine 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Surely they know the tax returns for the self employed, just as the have the PAYE details for those on that.  I appreciate it isn't going to be a two minute job to collate all of that info and ensure the right people get it, but they have the info.  I assume if you don't PAYE or submit a tax return you are a pensioner or on benefit, so will get paid, if no records you would be part of the black economy, so won't get a bean

I believe there having difficulty as some small business are going to benefit from this. So they don't want to send money to people that don't need it (a wild guess at 5% of businesses). Quite right. But there has to be something for the 95% in the meantime. And if someone has dodged tax they can jog on anyway. Got to remember at this point in the year tax return information is 18 months old

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Government needs to play fair with the self employed as they have done with companies that employ PAYE (we'll see how that turns out..).

You should have no guilt at all and shouldn't need to explain yourself. The problem lies with the government for announcing this lock down before sorting out the self employed. I understand it is more complex than PAYE and they needed to get the lock down in place, but they should have exempted the self employed and issued safety guidelines until the payment mechanisms were in place.

 

 

 

Thanks, nice to not be abused for my options :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Surely they know the tax returns for the self employed, just as the have the PAYE details for those on that.  I appreciate it isn't going to be a two minute job to collate all of that info and ensure the right people get it, but they have the info.  I assume if you don't PAYE or submit a tax return you are a pensioner or on benefit, so will get paid, if no records you would be part of the black economy, so won't get a bean

Apparently HMRC systems are not sophisticated enough to enable a simple cross reference to tax returns and having dealt with them in the past I don't doubt it. I can think of many anomalies where the payments would bear no resemblance to reality, but they have to take a stab at it and clean it up as we go along - nobody expects it to be perfect at the start but just get something going (and working unlike any other initiative so far) to enable people to stay at home without going to the wall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

 

Yes you are.

We need you to stay at home.

You will be supported to stay at home. 

And you could be better supported than those who work in front line services. Auxiliary nurses, care assistants rarely earn more than £16000 a year. Frequently far less.

Read the above again. You want more.

Personally I would like to see a series of fines for the selfish and stupid bell ends in society who will put the staff of the NHS at risk. These bell end fines can then be used to pay the NHS staff bonuses once this is over as a small means of saying thank you for what is being done on behalf of society. 

Jeez Fella.

I am not taking anything away from the front line. I fully support them. Obviously?!

I am not being supported. Whatsoever. At all. Nothing. Nor is there any plan in place to do so. NOTHING.

Nurses should be paid more, agreed. 

If you need us to stay at home, spread the message that the SE need to be supported to do so. Don't give us a shit choice the moan when we make it. 

I categorically do not want more. Just the same as the employed. 

 

I personally would like to give you a bell end fine. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

For those of us wondering if we had already had a mild form of the virus already. One research model suggests we might have.

https://www.ft.com/content/5ff6469a-6dd8-11ea-89df-41bea055720b?fbclid=IwAR0t9k4JbS64ewd6UwLfRWxWp8NdjdYbpnB2VyRgVVnknt3Gje9kZfd1Ktc

This article backs that up and doubts the veracity of the scary Imperial mortality modelling widely quoted on here;

https://reaction.life/oxford-study-50-of-uk-population-may-be-infected-already/

Hope they are correct.

Unfortunately, it looks as if Spain is heading towards where Italy is now;

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

Edited by bcfc01
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

Jeez Fella.

I am not taking anything away from the front line. I fully support them. Obviously?!

I am not being supported. Whatsoever. At all. Nothing. Nor is there any plan in place to do so. NOTHING.

Nurses should be paid more, agreed. 

If you need us to stay at home, spread the message that the SE need to be supported to do so. Don't give us a shit choice the moan when we make it. 

I categorically do not want more. Just the same as the employed. 

 

I personally would like to give you a bell end fine. 

 

 

I work in a front line service. 

You are not being supportive.

Scotland is considering fines for those not following guidelines.

I was not joking about the fines .. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You are being supported.

How much do you think front line care staff e.g. auxiliary nurses, care assistants, support workers are paid to possibly put their lives at risk.. Try less than you will get as a damp proofer to stay at home.

 

 

IF you are self employed, you don’t work, you don’t eat. My wife and I have spent the last five years trying to build two businesses. No weekends off, no Bank holidays except Christmas Day. That has all gone now. Government has closed our businesses (correct decision, I’m not arguing it). As things stand, we will get £93/week (in 5 weeks time) whilst my neighbour who has a lovely Range Rover and gets his salary and paid holidays every month, gets 80% of his salary. 

Of course we realise we need to stay in, but how are we supposed to live?  With mortgage, bills and Council Tax we cannot exist on 2 x £93. What are we to do?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

 

Thanks chaps. We live in the middle of nowhere so didn`t want to drive eight miles just to find out they`re shut. I`ll assume they are I think.

You must be remote if you can't phone them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I work in a front line service. 

You are not being supportive.

Scotland is considering fines for those not following guidelines.

I was not joking about the fines .. 

 

What am I going to get fined for?

I'm allowed to travel to work that I cannot do from home. We very much respect the social distance approach. 

If you don't agree with that your issue is with the government, not me. I don't make the rules. And I would prefer to be at home. 

I appreciate this comes form a good place. But I just hope you can see my point. 

Give us the fair opportunity to do as the employed are. 

Thank you for your efforts on the front line. Stay safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Surely they know the tax returns for the self employed, just as the have the PAYE details for those on that.  I appreciate it isn't going to be a two minute job to collate all of that info and ensure the right people get it, but they have the info.  I assume if you don't PAYE or submit a tax return you are a pensioner or on benefit, so will get paid, if no records you would be part of the black economy, so won't get a bean

if you get in more than the tax free allowance you pay tax.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

IF you are self employed, you don’t work, you don’t eat. My wife and I have spent the last five years trying to build two businesses. No weekends off, no Bank holidays except Christmas Day. That has all gone now. Government has closed our businesses (correct decision, I’m not arguing it). As things stand, we will get £93/week (in 5 weeks time) whilst my neighbour who has a lovely Range Rover and gets his salary and paid holidays every month, gets 80% of his salary. 

Of course we realise we need to stay in, but how are we supposed to live?  With mortgage, bills and Council Tax we cannot exist on 2 x £93. What are we to do?

It's becoming a massive social devide. Don't expect the masses to care about us, the majority of people on this forum have been instantly abusive to any thought of equality in this matter. It's a case of 'im alright jack' 

If you turned the tables can you imagine the up roar. Yet we was contrabuting members of society are left to rot and told to put up and shut up. 

Any respect I once had for humanity is rapidly fading. I hope you and your partner get through this. 

Stay safe. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

What am I going to get fined for?

I'm allowed to travel to work that I cannot do from home. We very much respect the social distance approach. 

If you don't agree with that your issue is with the government, not me. I don't make the rules. And I would prefer to be at home. 

I appreciate this comes form a good place. But I just hope you can see my point. 

Give us the fair opportunity to do as the employed are. 

Thank you for your efforts on the front line. Stay safe.

Fined ? Laughable.

I think the loophole the Government have left open in terms of travelling to work is geared towards the self employed more than any other sector.

In other words - get on with your business whilst adhering to safety guidelines until we sort out the payments. Once that has been sorted out you will be house bound unless deemed an essential service.

Thats exactly how I would interpret it in your shoes and I would do exactly the same as are several people I know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

It's becoming a massive social devide. Don't expect the masses to care about us, the majority of people on this forum have been instantly abusive to any thought of equality in this matter. It's a case of 'im alright jack' 

If you turned the tables can you imagine the up roar. Yet we was contrabuting members of society are left to rot and told to put up and shut up. 

Any respect I once had for humanity is rapidly fading. I hope you and your partner get through this. 

Stay safe. 

More likely that you got abuse down to the fact you said you hoped someone sneezed in another person's food, because they dared to challenge you.

Rather than some agenda against the self employed.

 

Just a guess though.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm employed by a very large company so no impact to me working from home on full pay. I think self employed should have benefits open to them in line with the tax they have declared over the last few years. Gig to be fair surely?

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Fined ? Laughable.

I think the loophole the Government have left open in terms of travelling to work is geared towards the self employed more than any other sector.

In other words - get on with your business whilst adhering to safety guidelines until we sort out the payments. Once that has been sorted out you will be house bound unless deemed an essential service.

Thats exactly how I would interpret it in your shoes and I would do exactly the same as are several people I know.

 

 

Completely agree, will say saw plenty of trades out today. 

All saying the same thing. 

They will sort it, but untill they do it's business as normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

More likely that you got abuse down to the fact you said you hoped someone sneezed in another person's food, because they dared to challenge you.

Rather than some agenda against the self employed.

 

Just a guess though.

To be fair, I'm probably not innocent in all that, but it was always as a reaction to instant abuse of some form. 

I think we made up in the end tho

4 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I'm employed by a very large company so no impact to me working from home on full pay. I think self employed should have benefits open to them in line with the tax they have declared over the last few years. Gig to be fair surely?

Yep I'd take that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Surely they know the tax returns for the self employed, just as the have the PAYE details for those on that.  I appreciate it isn't going to be a two minute job to collate all of that info and ensure the right people get it, but they have the info.  I assume if you don't PAYE or submit a tax return you are a pensioner or on benefit, so will get paid, if no records you would be part of the black economy, so won't get a bean

Self employed tax returns only show half of their income though 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Self employed tax returns only show half of their income though 😊

That's very assumptive. In fact any self employed subcontractors pay there tax in advance and its paid by the person that pays them. It isn't like it used to be. Everyone pays by bank transfer. I would say anyone with a turn over of £35k plus simply cannot avoid paying the correct amount of tax. Only the small 'cash in hand' workers have the opportunity to avoid tax. And this will (or should) bite them on the arse now. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

In other news, it seems the Government have taken back the railways from the franchisees;

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2020/03/meanwhile-while-you-were-distracted-by-other-events-the-government-has-nationalised-the-railways.html

May be old news but I didn't realise it had gone that far - about time though.

 

Passenger numbers have fallen off a cliff, i drove a train on Sunday and the passengers could’ve had a carriage each which is extreme social distancing, and had the government not stepped in the private operators would’ve just handed back the keys 

Does mean technically I’m now a government employee 

Edited by walnutroof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

That's very assumptive. In fact any self employed subcontractors pay there tax in advance and its paid by the person that pays them. It isn't like it used to be. Everyone pays by bank transfer. I would say anyone with a turn over of £35k plus simply cannot avoid paying the correct amount of tax. Only the small 'cash in hand' workers have the opportunity to avoid tax. And this will (or should) bite them on the arse now. 

So the guys who laid my drive, erected my fences, built my wall, tiled my bathroom, fitted worktops and wall mirrors, and fixed my leaky plumbing who all asked for payment in cash all declared it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Passenger numbers have fallen off a cliff, i drove a train on Sunday and the passengers could’ve had a carriage each which is extreme social distancing, and had the government not stepped in the private operators would’ve just handed back the keys 

Does mean technically I’m now a government employee 

Yep, 8 weeks holiday, time off whenever you want,  free tea and coffee, 6 months paid sick leave, pointless training courses and a final salary pension are now all yours. 😀

Edited by wendyredredrobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So the guys who laid my drive, erected my fences, built my wall, tiled my bathroom, fitted worktops and wall mirrors, and fixed my leaky plumbing who all asked for payment in cash all declared it?

What does that have to do with the other 5 million self employed?

It also seems you have paid cash to get a cheaper job knowing full well tax wasn't getting paid, is that not breaking the law?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin-hugh-blind said:

I get your sentiment, but I'm not wondering around. I'm at work. The government has allowed us to do this. 

And by not supporting the self employed to the same extent as everyone else, there making us make a very hard choice. 

Your point should be directed at the government. 'support the SE so they stop going out' or something like that. Not, 'pick who lives you monster'. 

We just want a fair crack, nothing more.

If No1 was getting paid to sit at home and they had the choice to work they would be if they had too.  End of.

Ok, I'll be fair, thanks for replying, I don't think you're the bad guy here, fully understand your dilemma, I've got friends/relatives in similar situations , jobs/business going under , it's a complete nightmare. I don't have an answer , the government are nowhere near having an answer and fair enough I've targeted you to make a point. I'd prefer to have a go at the weekends daytrippers but they're not posting on here.

Just begging people to listen to the advice (albeit ambiguous) we're being given, and if not just look at Italy/Spain/France to see what's coming . It's about to become very bad

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So the guys who laid my drive, erected my fences, built my wall, tiled my bathroom, fitted worktops and wall mirrors, and fixed my leaky plumbing who all asked for payment in cash all declared it?

Not a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Passenger numbers have fallen off a cliff, i drove a train on Sunday and the passengers could’ve had a carriage each which is extreme social distancing, and had the government not stepped in the private operators would’ve just handed back the keys 

Does mean technically I’m now a government employee 

Also means that all projects working on rail improvements have now stopped and my son will probably be out of work tomorrow :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, reddoc said:

Ok, I'll be fair, thanks for replying, I don't think you're the bad guy here, fully understand your dilemma, I've got friends/relatives in similar situations , jobs/business going under , it's a complete nightmare. I don't have an answer , the government are nowhere near having an answer and fair enough I've targeted you to make a point. I'd prefer to have a go at the weekends daytrippers but they're not posting on here.

Just begging people to listen to the advice (albeit ambiguous) we're being given, and if not just look at Italy/Spain/France to see what's coming . It's about to become very bad

Yeah very much support you sentiment. And your message is 100% correct. Stay at home. 

I was expecting empty roads and ghost towns today. Shockingly it was as if nothing has happened. Old lady walking to the shop (at least 80)

Kids playing in the street. 

Endless runners and cyclists. 

I get we need to get me home. But these are easier fixes. Because your right, This is going south. 

Stay safe fella

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the address to the nation by Boris last night, I made a decision to cancel the work I had booked in for today and for the foreseeable future. Being a self-employed sole trader that obviously has massive financial implications that I was willing to accept.

I also felt though that the decision would help protect myself and others. Into the small hours and after many conversations with mates in the same situation there were two schools of thought. The message from the government was rather ambiguous, so some were going to carry on as normal, some weren't. All were confused as to what financial support, if any, would be forthcoming in the near future.

I can't work from home, I have to travel to customers premises to fix problems. Some aspects of my job are essential for their wellbeing.

During the night I received a text from a customer who had a desperate emergency. I attended this morning to rectify. I considered it an essential repair. They certainly did and we're most grateful. Whilst on that job I received a similar call, attended and rectified again. It was now the afternoon and I was in my working stride. Again the phone rang, another essential job, which i attended and fortunately rectified again. I called one of the customers that I cancelled to see if she wanted me to attend to her non essential job, she was very happy for me to visit, so I did. To me she was non essential, to her it was very much required due to her mobility issues.

So, I am now back working as normally as possible, whilst being very aware of mine and others wellbeing. I fully understand if I'm not needed or welcome at this present time, both my customers and I call it how we see it.

Unless the government can support tradesmen adequately, I and many others will continue to trade.

If forced to stop working I shall. However, it will be extremely hard for me to leave people in a desperate state and open to being ripped off by lesser operators than myself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Somebody - and I forget who, for which I apologise - posted this link earlier:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Now, the link is constantly updated, but, at the time of posting, I note the following figures (ranked by number of cases):

Italy: 69,176 cases/6,820 deaths - 9.86%

Spain: 39,676 cases/2,800 deaths - 7.06% 

Germany: 32,781 cases/157 deaths - 0.48%

France: 22,616 cases/1,102 deaths - 4.88%

UK: 8,164 cases/423 deaths - 5.19%

Over and above the comparitively low percentage death rates in Germany, however, was the disparity in recovery rates.

You can check on the link, but they are:

Italy: 69,176 cases/8,326 recoveries - 12.04%

Spain: 39,676 cases/3,794 recoveries - 9.57% 

Germany: 32,781 cases/3,243 recoveries - 9.90%

France: 22,616 cases/3,288 recoveries - 14.54%

UK: 8,164 cases/140 recoveries - 1.72%

I understand that statistics can often be misleading, and we (The UK) are perhaps two weeks or so behind the other countries listed, but I find these figures quite concerning, especially if, as I am convinced will be the case, the number of UK cases explodes in the next few weeks due to the belated 'enforced' lock-down and the seemingly lackadaisical manner in which it is being adopted by too many blasé idiots.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, freezer said:

After the address to the nation by Boris last night, I made a decision to cancel the work I had booked in for today and for the foreseeable future. Being a self-employed sole trader that obviously has massive financial implications that I was willing to accept.

I also felt though that the decision would help protect myself and others. Into the small hours and after many conversations with mates in the same situation there were two schools of thought. The message from the government was rather ambiguous, so some were going to carry on as normal, some weren't. All were confused as to what financial support, if any, would be forthcoming in the near future.

I can't work from home, I have to travel to customers premises to fix problems. Some aspects of my job are essential for their wellbeing.

During the night I received a text from a customer who had a desperate emergency. I attended this morning to rectify. I considered it an essential repair. They certainly did and we're most grateful. Whilst on that job I received a similar call, attended and rectified again. It was now the afternoon and I was in my working stride. Again the phone rang, another essential job, which i attended and fortunately rectified again. I called one of the customers that I cancelled to see if she wanted me to attend to her non essential job, she was very happy for me to visit, so I did. To me she was non essential, to her it was very much required due to her mobility issues.

So, I am now back working as normally as possible, whilst being very aware of mine and others wellbeing. I fully understand if I'm not needed or welcome at this present time, both my customers and I call it how we see it.

Unless the government can support tradesmen adequately, I and many others will continue to trade.

If forced to stop working I shall. However, it will be extremely hard for me to leave people in a desperate state and open to being ripped off by lesser operators than myself.

The lack of clarity was un real. 

After re playing the speach several times I came to the conclusion that they left the door open for trades to go to work if they cannot afford not to. Untill they sort out the support stuff. 

Sounds like you may be a key worker on a lock down (or atleast part of your business).  what sort of thing do you do?

Edited by Robin-hugh-blind
Typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...