IGNORED

Paul Cheesley, Jimmy Mann and Bob Taylor Chants

Nogbad the Bad

Many of us will remember the chants :chant6ez:SuperCheese  :chant6ez:SuperMann :chant6ez:and later  :chant6ez:Bob Bob Super Bob..... Super Bobby Taylor :chant6ez:and 'Super' has been used for other players' chants since.

SuperMann, with a nod to Clark Kent is understandable but I'm pretty sure SuperCheese came first.

'Super' is hardly a word or exclamation you'd associate being used by your average football fan, and neither was it in the 70's, 80's and 90's when these heroes wore the Red shirt.

It might be thought of, then as now, as either a word used by absurd Hooray Henry's, or just a bit naff.

It 'fits' the chants, but so do other words, so of all the descriptive words that could have been chosen to hail our heroes, why would the seething, cussing and anything but posh denizens of the EE, with all it's F-word chants, be content shouting out the namby pamby 'Super'?

An intriguing matter many will have thoughts on I'm sure, but especially interested in the views of @Super.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Many of us will remember the chants :chant6ez:SuperCheese  :chant6ez:SuperMann :chant6ez:and later  :chant6ez:Bob Bob Super Bob..... Super Bobby Taylor :chant6ez:and 'Super' has been used for other players' chants since.

SuperMann, with a nod to Clark Kent is understandable but I'm pretty sure SuperCheese came first.

'Super' is hardly a word or exclamation you'd associate being used by your average football fan, and neither was it in the 70's, 80's and 90's when these heroes wore the Red shirt.

It might be thought of, then as now, as either a word used by absurd Hooray Henry's, or just a bit naff.

It 'fits' the chants, but so do other words, so of all the descriptive words that could have been chosen to hail our heroes, why would the seething, cussing and anything but posh denizens of the EE, with all it's F-word chants, be content shouting out the namby pamby 'Super'?

An intriguing matter many will have thoughts on I'm sure, but especially interested in the views of @Super.

Had the misfortune to meet Jimmy Mann - super he most certainly isn’t 

7 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Jimmy Mann scored spectacular goals. He was our Peter Lorimer, or a right footed Sir Alan Walsh before Sir Alan Walsh. Goal at Bolton in 78 is one that stands out. 

Corrected for you. :laugh:!

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Jimmy Mann scored spectacular goals. He was our Peter Lorimer, or a right footed Alan Walsh before Alan Walsh. Goal at Bolton in 78 is one that stands out. 

The one against Forest was ridiculous #sceamer

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

The one against Forest was ridiculous #sceamer

I was stood in the East End, right behind that one. Shilton had no chance, it nearly took the goalposts out the ground. Will never forget the delirium of that goal. Un bloody believable. 

7 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Jimmy Mann scored spectacular goals. He was our Peter Lorimer, or a right footed Alan Walsh before Alan Walsh. Goal at Bolton in 78 is one that stands out. 

Rob Newman was of course his immediate successor as the free kick master. I think it was the Evening Post that ran the headline 'Rob The New Mann'. 

8 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Bob, Bob super Bob was subsequently used by WBA fans after his transfer. 

Yep, and we had to adapt the traditional West Brom song for a while.

:chant6ez:'Oh, I do like to stroll along the prom, prom, prom, when the brass band plays **** off West Brom - apart from SuperBob' :chant6ez:

On 31/03/2020 at 22:42, City Rocker said:

Rob Newman was of course his immediate successor as the free kick master. I think it was the Evening Post that ran the headline 'Rob The New Mann'. 

Don't know how many were free kicks but Rob Newman scored a very impressive 59 goals for City.

Archived