IGNORED

Sunderland Documentary Series 2

RumRed

20 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Only an episode in, but this scene was hilarious 

I'm sure him and Ashton would enjoy conversing about the spider's web of the transfer market! ?

Haha, reminds me of this...

The whole thing is beyond cringeworthy. Why Sunderland signed up to do it a second time is beyond me. The first series was an interesting insight albeit like watching a slow car crash.

This second series seems to be a self-pitying mess of Sunderland fans with sad music and repeated attempts to build up disappointment and then highlight their misery (and swearing).

By the time they lost at Wembley a second time a lady in floods of tears was going "why is it never us, why is it never ****** us". At that point you just have to laugh at this utter garbage.

As a reminder Sunderland was in the Premier League three years ago, and for the best part of over 20 years before that. They've also won the Championship 4 times in the last 25 years.

They need to get a grip. I'd be embarrassed if our club lacked that much self awareness or proportion. The only interesting insight was deadline day (also emotional rather than sensible).

Oh, and marketing guy was literally David Brent does football. "My role is to have a vision. To imagine things. To - feel things. And to then express those feelings into plan, strategies, ideas."

2 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

We totally destroyed that league, anything less than #1 for Sunderland has to be seen as a failure in my opinion.

Especially considering homeless Coventry are top.

There were periods even after xmas where Preston, MK and Swindon got close to us but we always managed to pull away. Couldn't beat Preston that season either ?

Take a different view to Ole.  Seen the first two  of the new series and really enjoyed them and knowing what happens to their striker Majo , who if I recall we sniffed around, shows the frustration with agents and the clubs inability to engage with the player  directly himself.

I think they are good telly,  i equally enjoyed the Leeds United and Man City ones as well.  I agree with Ole in that they are gluttons for punishment for allowing cameras in again! 

we are all different.  God I miss so many things this with this lock down.  Footie one, 

11 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Take a different view to Ole.  Seen the first two  of the new series and really enjoyed them and knowing what happens to their striker Majo , who if I recall we sniffed around, shows the frustration with agents and the clubs inability to engage with the player  directly himself.

I think they are good telly,  i equally enjoyed the Leeds United and Man City ones as well.  I agree with Ole in that they are gluttons for punishment for allowing cameras in again! 

we are all different.  God I miss so many things this with this lock down.  Footie one, 

Agreed, I think it’s a really interesting series showing the inside of how a club is run, and also what a club means to the fans, Definitely recommend it along with the Leeds doc which was pretty good as well.

13 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

I expect they thought it would be the story of walking the league.

Actually I would think the film makers would prefer they didn’t as it’s much more interesting than a series watching Sunderland win

The CEO guy was a bit cringe at times but on the whole thought he had the right mindset. The club was losing so much money but the staff just wouldn't get it, the marketing/comes team he inherited were useless and rightly sacked some of them off because of their negativity. 

The Will Grigg scene was a true example of an owner losing all his clear business acumen and going with his heart not head. Mad how football can make successful men look completely amateur. 

Compelling viewing i loved it. 

24 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Question though - was that Marketing girl fired at the end of episode 3 (I think?). You could see it was coming if she was, given her interviews during the episode and her responses when being asked what the ticket sales were for that Boxing day match!

Yeah think she either resigned or sacked as putting a box into her car and hugging colleagues. 

It was over then she said there wasn't a cats hells chance of getting 38K on boxing day and they ended up getting 46/47K. To negative. 

5 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I loved the 1st series. So full of themselves thinking they'll go straight back to the Premier league. 

I'm sure I'll love this series too. I imagine they'll be full of themselves thinking they'll go straight back to the championship 

????

Actually it’s not really been like that, they have just showed that football fans are the same really, they just live their clubs,  this series is mostly about the chairman and the CEO trying to sort out the terrible finances, and cling to terms with the horror show of a business they took on, really good

It’s weird how their supporters seemed to prioritise the checkatrade over the playoffs, there’s clearly a lot of entitlement there after all their years of scrapping at the bottom of the prem if you look on their forum there’s a lot of slating the two guys who took them over blissfully ignoring the fact that theirs was the only offer in town 

The second series wasn’t as good as the first and it seemed like they were in a rush to finish as it jumped from their cup final defeat to the playoffs 

Classic case of talking the talk then (grigg saga) reverting to type and replicating previous owners mistakes paying over the odds for complete average players , two lose twice in a season at wembley is harsh on the fans who at the end of the day just love their club like we all do .....

2 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

Classic case of talking the talk then (grigg saga) reverting to type and replicating previous owners mistakes paying over the odds for complete average players , two lose twice in a season at wembley is harsh on the fans who at the end of the day just love their club like we all do .....

Yeah I think it's a little more rushed than the 1st season too. Perhaps their new owners didn't want Netflix around as much when the season started to unfold after Maja left.

That jack ross delivered two trips to wembley despite losing their only goalthreat and advised the boss that grigg was average and to pay no more than 1.25 mill ....... he got the sack ? 

Very harshly treated but i guess like so many clubs unless its top 2 it isnt good enough .

9 hours ago, bengalcub said:

That jack ross delivered two trips to wembley despite losing their only goalthreat and advised the boss that grigg was average and to pay no more than 1.25 mill ....... he got the sack ? 

Very harshly treated but i guess like so many clubs unless its top 2 it isnt good enough .

I know right! He didnt get informed that his top goal scorer had been sold and packed up all his shit and left, told the chairman will grigg wasnt worth it for that much money.

Got slagged off by the owners on camera for defending leads in big games, how unprofessional the owners are slagging off the manager on camera, they know its going on netflix why be so stupid.

Jack ross was left with 8 players in pre season and built a team that was points away from top 2 all season (mcgeady injured at wrong time) and 2 Wembley finals, what more can you expect after 2 relegations in a row and no confidence.

To sell maja for 1.2 million euros was mental :laugh: they would of won the league with his goals easily, promotion would of made more money than that surely and they wouldnt of spent 3 million on grigg!

Just watched up to the end of the check a trade trophy loss. 

Yes the will grigg transfer episode was beyond parody. But its his money and if he fired them back to the championship it would have been seen as a good purchase. 

Stand by my earlier comment about self importance of their supporters. They somehow think that because they're from the North East, they consider themselves better fans than those of other clubs. 

4 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Just watched up to the end of the check a trade trophy loss. 

Yes the will grigg transfer episode was beyond parody. But its his money and if he fired them back to the championship it would have been seen as a good purchase. 

I am at same point.  As I mentioned in an early post I recall reading at the the time that we looked at Maja but I could not have said where he ended up until this programme stoked an interest. 
It seems he has not achieved any particular heights with Bordeaux and was not a regular starter with them before this shut down.   He shafted Sunderland  by exercising his rights and was more than a 1.5 m euro player for sure.  His playing style reminded me of Watkins at Brentford.  
Even though we know how it ends up I think it’s a decent watch in these hard few weeks. 

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I am at same point.  As I mentioned in an early post I recall reading at the the time that we looked at Maja but I could not have said where he ended up until this programme stoked an interest. 
It seems he has not achieved any particular heights with Bordeaux and was not a regular starter with them before this shut down.   He shafted Sunderland  by exercising his rights and was more than a 1.5 m euro player for sure.  His playing style reminded me of Watkins at Brentford.  
Even though we know how it ends up I think it’s a decent watch in these hard few weeks. 

How did he shaft Sunderland exactly? 

4 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

He’s doing well, made his Nigeria debut in December has gone from earning under a grand a week to €60,000. He was only really performing in league one people forget and is now in the big French league, I wouldn’t say he’s a failure but end of the 2nd episode you know he’s lying when he says he doesn’t know if their is interest 

Easy with hindsight.

If you said we will sell a kid that's had half a good season and doesn't want to be here. Then sign Grigg, a player that's got a 1 in 2 record in League One over 6 years, a proven League One scorer. I don't think anyone could complain. 

Archived