IGNORED

Football League Top 50

Olé

Published yesterday, after just Webster last year, our lone entrant this year is (drum roll)... 

FDA7B474-7E1F-4E88-AABE-E5B486B0381B.jpeg.8e124ceffd7a4f53840b22a53f552f29.jpeg

Two of our loan players - Joe Morrell & Jonny Smith - are also profiled as players who didn't quite make it, but almost got in the top 50:

603D2C66-E1E5-4193-9EB0-E930C5042B97.jpeg.b874d4dbd654d79ebbba014208a740b7.jpeg

1F6B5AA6-454D-474F-AA8B-B95CD4487AEB.jpeg.6d891d5cca6a547cfbadebb6d4d122da.jpeg

It's not really a top 50, more who is trending in all three divisions, although they say it is opposition fans votes weighted by division.

For what it's worth Lee Tomlin is resurrected at 47 and there are also inclusions for Nicky Maynard (43) and Cauley Woodrow (40).

Maynard's inclusion is accompanied by an interview discussing his departure from Bristol City - he says we'll be kicking ourselves.

Micky believes Leicester offered us £6m. I seem to recall it was just over half that. Pretty sure we aren't turning down £6m in 2011.

For what it's worth no Joe Bryan or Bobby Reid, but the top 10 has 3 former targets (Dack 10, Sawyers 9, Watkins 6). Mitrovic is 1.

4 hours ago, Taz said:

I seem to remember the £6m Leicester bid being made, and I thought that he actually said he wasn't interested in going there?

I may be wrong, but I remember a figure in that region.

Without turning this into a Nicky Maynard thread, we rejected all of Leicester City’s bids including one of £6M. He never turned them down. 

I would’ve thought that Eliasson had a chance of being included.

54 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Without turning this into a Nicky Maynard thread, we rejected all of Leicester City’s bids including one of £6M. He never turned them down. 

I would’ve thought that Eliasson had a chance of being included.

IIRC the reason we turned down Leicester's bid is that Maynard had made it clear ( at that time!) that he would only leave for a move to a premier league club.

34 minutes ago, downendcity said:

IIRC the reason we turned down Leicester's bid is that Maynard had made it clear ( at that time!) that he would only leave for a move to a premier league club.

This, also people criticise us for selling last few seasons, Maynard is a prime example of what can happen when you don't sell a player at peak value

7 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

I recall the Leicester £6m bid and being amazed we turned it down at the time. Obviously a really poor decision considering he went to West Ham for £2m a couple months later in the Jan window?

56 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Maynard was running his contract down. It was only when no  premier league clubs came in for him that he agreed the move to Wham, who were looking odds on for promotion.

The fee was only £2m because he only had 6 months left on his contract. 

The player had us over a barrel so not a poor decision by the club - £2m from Wham was better than b****r all that summer! 

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

Maynard was running his contract down. It was only when no  premier league clubs came in for him that he agreed the move to Wham, who were looking odds on for promotion.

The player had us over a barrel so not a poor decision by the club - £2m from Wham was better than b****r all that summer! 

And we got Sam Baldock as part of the deal who didn`t turn out too shabby.

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And we got Sam Baldock as part of the deal who didn`t turn out too shabby.

Baldock was quality. Never understood the amount of hate he got from fans. Played well in the awful 12-13 relegation season and then grabbed about 25 goals with JET in L1 and people still slated him. 

5 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Baldock was quality. Never understood the amount of hate he got from fans. Played well in the awful 12-13 relegation season and then grabbed about 25 goals with JET in L1 and people still slated him. 

I didn`t. I really rated him - a good player in a poor side. It was mainly his one-on-one record that got him pelters but he was ploughing a lone furrow up front and was the only one likely to score (unless Steven Davies felt like putting in a shift that day).

A bit like Brett Pitman, not rated in certain quarters (including the management judging by the way he was treated) but never let us down.

37 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

He’s another one that thought he was better than he was, again proven by the little that he has done post city. 

4 hours ago, Robin101 said:

I know he's not that popular on here, but I have fond memories of Nicky Maynard. It seemed like everytime he took a shot that season it hit the top corner. 

Agree, I know things didn't end well but I thought he was class for us, loved watching him play for City.

23 hours ago, downendcity said:

Yes it was a poor decision as we got £2m for him when we could've had £6m 6 months earlier.

16 minutes ago, O'Garlandinho said:

Yes it was a poor decision as we got £2m for him when we could've had £6m 6 months earlier.

Wasn't our decision though, Maynard had let known that he wouldn't move even if the offer was accepted, he only wanted a Premier league move. He only took the West Ham move as he was sure they'd go up, pretty sure there was talk at the time he didn't want to move to Wigan as he thought they'd be down at the end of the season 

2 hours ago, O'Garlandinho said:

@hodge has already answered for me.

Rejecting £6m wasn't a poor decision because the club's hands were tied by the player,

However,  getting £2m was a very good decision.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14576244

This link from the time implies otherwise, and that we incorrectly hoped he would sign a new deal. Which is also how i remember. 

A transfer deal usually has the club agree terms before the player as well.

Fair enough if you were itk though, probably a mate of a mate who was Maynards best mate no doubt.

On 02/04/2020 at 20:21, S25loyal said:

He’s another one that thought he was better than he was, again proven by the little that he has done post city. 

How exactly did he think he was better than he was? He was L1 top scorer in a mid table side. Then moved to a team who were promoted a couple of seasons later? 

Nicky Maynard was also playing at a considerably high level than the rest of our team in the season before his injury. We were shit! His 20 goals (often blinders) propped us up.

1 hour ago, O'Garlandinho said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/14576244

This link from the time implies otherwise, and that we incorrectly hoped he would sign a new deal. Which is also how i remember. 

A transfer deal usually has the club agree terms before the player as well.

Fair enough if you were itk though, probably a mate of a mate who was Maynards best mate no doubt.

We were hoping Nicky would sign a new deal if i remember rightly, we were just horridly naive 

15 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

How exactly did he think he was better than he was? He was L1 top scorer in a mid table side. Then moved to a team who were promoted a couple of seasons later? 

Nicky Maynard was also playing at a considerably high level than the rest of our team in the season before his injury. We were shit! His 20 goals (often blinders) propped us up.

So what exactly have either of them done since leaving us? Hardly set the world alight at the clubs that were better than us.

Unless you are the type of person that views money as success. 

Baldock since leaving us in 2014

81 apps for Brighton 18 goals 

33 apps for reading 8 goals 

so in 6 years he has scored 26 years. That’s not a success in my eyes at all, and proof he wasn’t that good.  Imagine fam 26 goals in 6 years, poor bloke would driven out his knowle house. 

Maynard left in 2012

West Ham 14 apps 2 goals 

Cardiff 22 apps 2 goals 

Wigan 16 apps 4 goals 

MK dons 66 apps 8 goals 

Aberdeen 18 apps 0 goals 

Bury 37 apps 21 goals (league 2, 6 years after he left us)

Mansfield 23 apps 11 goals 

again, hit form with a league 2 side 6 years after leaving us, to me none of the above screams success. 

3 hours ago, S25loyal said:

So what exactly have either of them done since leaving us? Hardly set the world alight at the clubs that were better than us.

Unless you are the type of person that views money as success. 

Baldock since leaving us in 2014

81 apps for Brighton 18 goals 

33 apps for reading 8 goals 

so in 6 years he has scored 26 years. That’s not a success in my eyes at all, and proof he wasn’t that good.  Imagine fam 26 goals in 6 years, poor bloke would driven out his knowle house. 

Maynard left in 2012

West Ham 14 apps 2 goals 

Cardiff 22 apps 2 goals 

Wigan 16 apps 4 goals 

MK dons 66 apps 8 goals 

Aberdeen 18 apps 0 goals 

Bury 37 apps 21 goals (league 2, 6 years after he left us)

Mansfield 23 apps 11 goals 

again, hit form with a league 2 side 6 years after leaving us, to me none of the above screams success. 

Since his injury Maynard was not (and has not been since) the player he was.

Pre injury he was tremendous and crucially, capable of creating his own chances from nothing and scoring pretty spectacular goals in into the bargain. Maynard at his peak and 100% fit would be ideal for us now.

Archived