IGNORED

Marmite Bands

Port Said Red

Judging by the other music related threads, Queen are a real marmite band. People either really like them or really hate them, there seems very little fence sitting going on. So who are the others, I will start us off with 

The Fall

My friend of 50 odd years and I have very similar musical tastes, but he loves them and I just don’t get it.

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Judging by the other music related threads, Queen are a real marmite band. People either really like them or really hate them, there seems very little fence sitting going on. So who are the others, I will start us off with 

The Fall

My friend of 50 odd years and I have very similar musical tastes, but he loves them and I just don’t get it.

I'm in the No Thanks camp on The Fall.

I find them (or what i have heard of them) very annoying.

6 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Dire Straits. Near Queen levels of dislike for me. I know others love them.

I do like all of The Fall, Arctics and Radiohead, although I get why people find The Fall impenetrable and Radiohead a bit up their own arses (some of their stuff is shite).

I love Dire Straits! 

1 hour ago, The Gasbuster said:

Radiohead.

Not for anybody suffering from depression.

Personally, I can't stand them.

Weirdly never find them depressing, it’s what you read into it I guess. I spent 20 years telling the same friend I mentioned in the OP how amazing they are in vain, only to have him ring up having heard Burn The Witch, and moan about me for keeping their brilliance secret all these years :). He has no purchased their whole back catalogue, and continues to claim he found them first and has always secretly liked them! :)

1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Dire Straits. Near Queen levels of dislike for me. I know others love them.

I do like all of The Fall, Arctics and Radiohead, although I get why people find The Fall impenetrable and Radiohead a bit up their own arses (some of their stuff is shite).

Some of their stuff you don't like. Corrected that for you.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

Coldplay are surely the ultimate Marmite band.I quite like some of the stuff they do.I understand people not liking them but the levels of animosity aimed at them seem a bit over the top. 

Interesting.

I neither love them or hate them, which is pretty much how Marmite is defined.

Downloaded a couple of their more "upbeat" tracks to my iPod, but regard them as somewhere in between, i.e "they are ok".

Wouldn't go to see them. 

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Hey @One Team In Keynsham I know what you mean though. We ALL say it. I'm reminding myself not to think like that, as much as anybody.

I disagree, it is a personal opinion as to whether you think something is shite. You're making no assessment of the individual skills involved in song writing, musicianship, production etc, rather the finished product of all those skills being combined is, to you, a bag of spanners.

But, I think we're generally on the same tack.

52 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not gonna be a hypocrite and call them shite, but one band that has always irritated me senseless is......

and i know i'm gonna get some stick for this...

MADNESS.

Agree with that

52 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Not gonna be a hypocrite and call them shite, but one band that has always irritated me senseless is......

and i know i'm gonna get some stick for this...

MADNESS.

I bloody love a bit of the Madness. Well, mostly the old stuff TBF 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I can't stand bands like Madness & Split Enz who try and be "zany". Some of their tunes can be ok but watching them perform said tunes just turns me off.

Zappa. Count me in, but i know people who just don't get it.

The only person I know in music that can pull off comedy AND class musicianship together.

Frank Zappa, what a legend.

28 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Zappa. Count me in, but i know people who just don't get it.

The only person I know in music that can pull off comedy AND class musicianship together.

Frank Zappa, what a legend.

In all honesty I don't know much off his stuff.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

In all honesty I don't know much off his stuff.

Sheik Yerbouti or Joe's Garage would be the "easiest" way in, although Uncle Frank has a vast catalogue to his name.

I've been a fan since about 1975, so it's hard for me to imagine starting off new to his music and the person.

I know he is an acquired taste though. It helps if you like GUITAR, COMPLICATED MUSIC, and taking the piss out of EVERYTHING (especially religion, fashions, women's lib, sex, politicians, musicians etc etc)

If you're willing to be offended, Frank will definitely offend you

26 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Elbow. The `cool` media (RadMac et al) seem to love them but to me they sound just like Coldplay.

Probably the ultimate marmite genre - disco!

I don't get Elbow either.I always want to say come on, put some balls into this ffs.

Again, i guess they are popular for a reason.

Archived