IGNORED

Bands who kept it honest

Major Isewater

The Stranglers , they even parted company with Hugh Cornwell as they thought he was taking them too much into pop music . He was also a bit too much into heroine .

Motorhead , Lemmy , the most honest rocker the world has or will ever know . He lived for rock , loud and proud right til the end .

My personal favourites, Radiohead. 

The bigger they got, the less commercial their sound became. They rarely do interviews, you won't see them trying to sell their themselves. Their success is completely anomalous. 

Elvis Costello, just spent his whole career exploring musical genres. Folk, rock, jazz, classical, Country, hip hop and experimental sounds.  He has worked with Paul McCartney, The Pogues, Burt Bacharach, Roy Orbison, The Brodsky Quartet and numerous others. I doubt much of it has made him “rich”.

Crass

Lived in a commune.

Sold records for 65p.

Created anarchist centres with profit from records.

Gave the money from their gigs away.

Spied on by the secret services.

Got prosecuted for their art.

Questions asked about the em in the houses of commons.

Squatted the Albert Hall.

Influenced people and protest around the world.

Influenced street art.

Gave me a lift to Salisbury from Stonehenge.

Stated when they would break up 521984.

Broke up in 1984 after a benefit for striking miners.

Not sure about the Damned keeping it honest. Rat Scabies was booted out for ripping Sensible and Vanian off. First three albums were honest. Black album was a concept and not very good. Strawberries had a cover designed to smell like strawberries, it sounded like pretentious arse. Black is then night their anthology ignores anything from some of their albums and not surprisingly alright jack is a dog and is centred on the first four albums when they were more honest. Still great live when playing tracks from 77-80.

8 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Not sure about the Damned keeping it honest. Rat Scabies was booted out for ripping Sensible and Vanian off. First three albums were honest. Black album was a concept and not very good. Strawberries had a cover designed to smell like strawberries, it sounded like pretentious arse. Black is then night their anthology ignores anything from some of their albums and not surprisingly alright jack is a dog and is centred on the first four albums when they were more honest. Still great live when playing tracks from 77-80.

The black album has some good stuff though. Blackout (a live opener, i seem to remember) Drinking about my Baby, Hit or Miss

I remember buying Strawberries (for pigs :laugh:) and the smelly inner thingy

I thought i was having a mushroom flashback

First 3 albums the best. i'm with you

I'm sure i had a live album where the crowd were calling Sensible a manual manipulator, loud and clear

Not sure of the name of it.

On 02/04/2020 at 21:52, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Levellers

The Waterboys

I`m tempted to say The Pogues as well but I`m not as sure about them.

Massive fan of the Levs lost count of the number of times I have seen them .Brilliant band and I do feel they have and are still keeping Honest .

35 minutes ago, Mr Roper said:

Massive fan of the Levs lost count of the number of times I have seen them .Brilliant band and I do feel they have and are still keeping Honest .

I saw them at Port Eliot a few years back and it must have been twenty years since the previous time. The two sets could have been interchangeable - loved it!

Aha the Damned.

Capt Sense also recorded on Crass records.

The typo of politics the Damned didn't do.

Anyway this is not about Captain Sensible or the Damned.

It about another band recording on Crass records.

Rudimentary Peni.

Their lead singer was Nick Blinko.

Nick could out mad Syd Barrett.

Nick used to sing with several different voices.

And at times he really thought he was different people.

For a time Nick thought he was the Pope.

Not just any Pope.

But Pope Adrian from the fourteenth or fifteenth century.

And Rudimentary Peni recorded an album with Nick thinking he was Pope Adrian reciting latin backed by punk guitars and drums.

NMA signed to majors. Crass didn't and said no to EMI. Rudimentary Peni original eps go for large sums due to their artwork. Blinko refuses to cash in. credibility?? I like NMA vengeance and the hunt are brutal lyrically but that doesn't sit with Justins (and his Mrs Joolz) early politics its like Bragg turning up to sing at the Tories conference.

On 02/04/2020 at 21:52, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Levellers

The Waterboys

I`m tempted to say The Pogues as well but I`m not as sure about them.

The Pogues just got ran into the ground by Shane in the end. no back stabbing, law suits or dodgy rumours, just a lot, and I mean a LOT of alcohol was their detriment. The accordionist James Fearnley has a brilliant book detailing their career from the mid 70s when they were living in London squats to the moment they had to ask Shane to leave whilst twattered on LSD. Towards the end they’d find him locked in hotel rooms he’d painted black with his hands and scratched the walls. if anyone needs a read for lockdown it’s worth every penny. 

On 05/04/2020 at 10:50, Lanterne Rouge said:

I saw them at Port Eliot a few years back and it must have been twenty years since the previous time. The two sets could have been interchangeable - loved it!

They did a lot of new stuff in between those years a lot of good new stuff and some not so good but last few years they seem to enjoy playing their older stuff again with some newer tracks too .Of course us fans love to hear the old tracks and sinalong .

Archived