Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Major Isewater

Bands who kept it honest

The Stranglers , they even parted company with Hugh Cornwell as they thought he was taking them too much into pop music . He was also a bit too much into heroine .

Motorhead , Lemmy , the most honest rocker the world has or will ever know . He lived for rock , loud and proud right til the end .

• Like 3

XTC, Kate Bush (not a band, but you know what i mean) She certainly only made the kind of music she wanted to make.

Van der Graaf Generator / Peter Hammill

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

Billy Bragg. Stayed true to his roots and his beliefs. I've seen him 47 times since 1983. A bit of fan.

• Like 4

My personal favourites, Radiohead. 

The bigger they got, the less commercial their sound became. They rarely do interviews, you won't see them trying to sell their themselves. Their success is completely anomalous. 

• Like 5

Elvis Costello, just spent his whole career exploring musical genres. Folk, rock, jazz, classical, Country, hip hop and experimental sounds.  He has worked with Paul McCartney, The Pogues, Burt Bacharach, Roy Orbison, The Brodsky Quartet and numerous others. I doubt much of it has made him “rich”.

• Like 3

Crass

Lived in a commune.

Sold records for 65p.

Created anarchist centres with profit from records.

Gave the money from their gigs away.

Spied on by the secret services.

Got prosecuted for their art.

Questions asked about the em in the houses of commons.

Squatted the Albert Hall.

Influenced people and protest around the world.

Influenced street art.

Gave me a lift to Salisbury from Stonehenge.

Stated when they would break up 521984.

Broke up in 1984 after a benefit for striking miners.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Damned although I don`t think anyone can be really certain what their `roots` actually were!

Late 60s MC5, and Psychedelic stuff.

Not sure about the Damned keeping it honest. Rat Scabies was booted out for ripping Sensible and Vanian off. First three albums were honest. Black album was a concept and not very good. Strawberries had a cover designed to smell like strawberries, it sounded like pretentious arse. Black is then night their anthology ignores anything from some of their albums and not surprisingly alright jack is a dog and is centred on the first four albums when they were more honest. Still great live when playing tracks from 77-80.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Not sure about the Damned keeping it honest. Rat Scabies was booted out for ripping Sensible and Vanian off. First three albums were honest. Black album was a concept and not very good. Strawberries had a cover designed to smell like strawberries, it sounded like pretentious arse. Black is then night their anthology ignores anything from some of their albums and not surprisingly alright jack is a dog and is centred on the first four albums when they were more honest. Still great live when playing tracks from 77-80.

The black album has some good stuff though. Blackout (a live opener, i seem to remember) Drinking about my Baby, Hit or Miss

I remember buying Strawberries (for pigs :laugh:) and the smelly inner thingy

I thought i was having a mushroom flashback

First 3 albums the best. i'm with you

I'm sure i had a live album where the crowd were calling Sensible a manual manipulator, loud and clear

Not sure of the name of it.

Edited by AppyDAZE

I am quite friendly with Honest John Plain of The Boys (also The Yobs). As his name implies quite honest to me and a really nice guy.

th.jpeg-7.jpg

honest-john-plain-a3.jpg.cf.jpg

hqdefault.jpg.cf-1.jpg

Edited by BigTone

On 02/04/2020 at 21:52, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Levellers

The Waterboys

I`m tempted to say The Pogues as well but I`m not as sure about them.

Massive fan of the Levs lost count of the number of times I have seen them .Brilliant band and I do feel they have and are still keeping Honest .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Roper said:

Massive fan of the Levs lost count of the number of times I have seen them .Brilliant band and I do feel they have and are still keeping Honest .

I saw them at Port Eliot a few years back and it must have been twenty years since the previous time. The two sets could have been interchangeable - loved it!

Aha the Damned.

Capt Sense also recorded on Crass records.

The typo of politics the Damned didn't do.

Anyway this is not about Captain Sensible or the Damned.

It about another band recording on Crass records.

Rudimentary Peni.

Their lead singer was Nick Blinko.

Nick could out mad Syd Barrett.

Nick used to sing with several different voices.

And at times he really thought he was different people.

For a time Nick thought he was the Pope.

Not just any Pope.

But Pope Adrian from the fourteenth or fifteenth century.

And Rudimentary Peni recorded an album with Nick thinking he was Pope Adrian reciting latin backed by punk guitars and drums.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 02/04/2020 at 21:49, Masala said:

Billy Bragg. Stayed true to his roots and his beliefs. I've seen him 47 times since 1983. A bit of fan.

I'm guessing you don't vote Conservative

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

NMA signed to majors. Crass didn't and said no to EMI. Rudimentary Peni original eps go for large sums due to their artwork. Blinko refuses to cash in. credibility?? I like NMA vengeance and the hunt are brutal lyrically but that doesn't sit with Justins (and his Mrs Joolz) early politics its like Bragg turning up to sing at the Tories conference.

On 02/04/2020 at 21:52, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Levellers

The Waterboys

I`m tempted to say The Pogues as well but I`m not as sure about them.

The Pogues just got ran into the ground by Shane in the end. no back stabbing, law suits or dodgy rumours, just a lot, and I mean a LOT of alcohol was their detriment. The accordionist James Fearnley has a brilliant book detailing their career from the mid 70s when they were living in London squats to the moment they had to ask Shane to leave whilst twattered on LSD. Towards the end they’d find him locked in hotel rooms he’d painted black with his hands and scratched the walls. if anyone needs a read for lockdown it’s worth every penny. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2020 at 21:49, Masala said:

Apart from when he jumped on the Greta bandwagon and then he became a bit of a ****! ....:yawn:

• Hmmm 1

On 05/04/2020 at 10:50, Lanterne Rouge said:

I saw them at Port Eliot a few years back and it must have been twenty years since the previous time. The two sets could have been interchangeable - loved it!

They did a lot of new stuff in between those years a lot of good new stuff and some not so good but last few years they seem to enjoy playing their older stuff again with some newer tracks too .Of course us fans love to hear the old tracks and sinalong .

• Like 1

The KLF. Had some massive hits, burned £1million and walked away when they’d had enough of the music industry.

15 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

The KLF. Had some massive hits, burned £1million and walked away when they’d had enough of the music industry.

And have deleted their entire back catalogue which I`m not sure I agree with. I know Julian Cope isn`t happy with them either - most of the million quid they burned was his!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

And have deleted their entire back catalogue which I`m not sure I agree with. I know Julian Cope isn`t happy with them either - most of the million quid they burned was his!

There's being honest, and there's being stupid.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

There's being honest, and there's being stupid.

The KLF are hardly stupid. They practiced situationism and followed discordianism. This can explain to a degree their actions leading to success with its ultimate rejection. 

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The KLF are hardly stupid. They practiced situationism and followed discordianism. This can explain to a degree their actions leading to success with its ultimate rejection. 

Burning money isn't clever, but i take your point as i have no interest in the music they made, and I know very little about their ideology tbh,

Edited by AppyDAZE

The Fall. No matter who of the dozens of members they had over the years was in the band at any given time Mark E Smith just did what he`d always done and didn`t give a stuff whether it was successful or not.

• Like 4

On 10/04/2020 at 21:20, Lanterne Rouge said:

The Fall. No matter who of the dozens of members they had over the years was in the band at any given time Mark E Smith just did what he`d always done and didn`t give a stuff whether it was successful or not.

There was a short period when Brix seemed to be marketing him a bit, around the time they did the cover version of Victoria.

• Like 1

The The.

In a way similar to The Fall: ever changing set of backing musicians behind the one constant, Matt Johnson, who (to the best of my knowledge), never really sold out for the cash.

They were fantastic at their comeback show at The Albert Hall a couple of years back.

On 10/04/2020 at 21:20, Lanterne Rouge said:

Just don’t look for our result, skip League One and go straight to League Two to laugh at the Gas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

There was a short period when Brix seemed to be marketing him a bit, around the time they did the cover version of Victoria.

I`ve heard several interviews with Brix since Mark died and she really believed she could change him at first. She did try and promote him but he just wouldn`t have any of it.

She soon realised the words `banging your head` and `brick wall` were appropriate though and gave up trying!

a man for whom the word `curmudgeon` could have been invented!

• Like 3

On 05/04/2020 at 10:53, Lanterne Rouge said:

New Model Army. They haven`t changed in thirty years.

My posh mate surprisingly revealed he knew Slade the Leveller.  They went to Marlborough together. Justin's dad was managing director of BBC Radio.

He lives in Glastonbury now (Justin, not my mate) with Joolz - the punk poetess.

I'd love to effect a reunion of these two highly improbable schoolmates some day!

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My posh mate surprisingly revealed he knew Slade the Leveller.  They went to Marlborough together. Justin's dad was managing director of BBC Radio.

He lives in Glastonbury now (Justin, not my mate) with Joolz - the punk poetess.

I'd love to effect a reunion of these two highly improbable schoolmates some day!

Prompted me to stick Vengence on the gramophone. Not played in years.

IMG_20200415_152015_743.thumb.jpg.d3b8b4457f1e55bd6888df5309526e9a.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pleased that XTC was mentioned as early as post#2.

It's a pity I stopped buying all their 12", CD singles, in fact everything they released after the superb The Disappointed. I chose the CD album of Nonsuch instead of the double vinyl version. Needless to say the vinyl is worth loads but not as much as the last single off the album. If anyone has a copy of the majestic Wrapped In Grey, please post it to me if you don't want it! Alternatively you could sell it on eBay for over £300. 

Honourable mentions, as per the thread title, have to go to Dr Feelgood, Peter Gabriel and the greatest British rock band nobody has ever heard of..... Thunder!