IGNORED

Odd things no longer seen around the football pitch

In the Net

Very early on I remember ‘collections’ for charity being made with four people walking around the pitch holding each corner of a blanket. 

Assume that stopped when the cost of medical care for the blanket carriers hit be the flying coins exceeded the amount collected! 

19 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Very early on I remember ‘collections’ for charity being made with four people walking around the pitch holding each corner of a blanket. 

Assume that stopped when the cost of medical care for the blanket carriers hit be the flying coins exceeded the amount collected! 

The Mk 11 version of this was a large lightweight metal contraption carried by four people (one at each corner). In theory they were protected by a metal sheet in front of their heads. Unfortunately, most of the people who threw coins aimed at the people carrying this contraption so it was a very dangerous occupation. 

10 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

The old half time score board. Letters for the games which you needed a program to know which game was which letter.

Toilet rolls after a goal was scored.

Match day program sellers.

yes please and tins of chopped tomatoes.

On 02/04/2020 at 12:54, pongo88 said:

I’m sure that occasionally people in  these 3 wheel invalid cars  were allowed to watch the match from near the touch line. Can anyone else remember this or am I imagining it? 

3A5D0FF0-E72E-4D78-939D-D6441FAC47A8.jpeg

Correct.

Fishponds British Legion band with a guy at the front throwing a conducting baton up in the air.

On 03/04/2020 at 07:43, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I'm not the only one who watches Hubnut, then!

Him and PeteC with his Mk3 cortina antics keep me sane atm 

23 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s like those stories about people who build a boat or a plane in their front room and forget they need to get it out.

When living in Australia this reminds me of my now deceased Brother in Law who was asked to build a bird cage for someones pet Cockatoo. I get a call one Saturday morning from him requesting some assistance. On arrival I could understand the problem and we spent the rest of the day dismantling his steel garage and then putting it back together once said cage was removed.

Talking of odd things seen around football grounds, some oldies might remember when the touchline was ringed by bus drivers and conductors, from the ‘City specials’, sitting on what used to be called the ‘ringside seats’.  I used to get the letter B bus from Brentry, via Shirehampton and the Portway...

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

When living in Australia this reminds me of my now deceased Brother in Law who was asked to build a bird cage for someones pet Cockatoo. I get a call one Saturday morning from him requesting some assistance. On arrival I could understand the problem and we spent the rest of the day dismantling his steel garage and then putting it back together once said cage was removed.

Elton John has never had a budgie as a pet, but he has had a Cockatoo.

The 'physio/trainer' running onto the pitch to help save a dying player and all he had was his magic sponge and a bucket of water. Funny how those magic sponges cured so many players yet they were never available at a chemist, not even on prescription.

19 hours ago, RedRock said:

Remember that

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

The 'physio/trainer' running onto the pitch to help save a dying player and all he had was his magic sponge and a bucket of water. Funny how those magic sponges cured so many players yet they were never available at a chemist, not even on prescription.

Remember the late and great Les Bardsley doing that 

Archived