IGNORED

Odd things no longer seen around the football pitch

In the Net

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

the smell of cigar smoke from the Williams grandstand and hotdogs....

The smell of lineament from the players as they ran out of the tunnel through the Williams enclosure 

5 hours ago, archie andrews said:

the smell of cigar smoke from the Williams grandstand and hotdogs....

Hotdigs smelling of cigar smoke - always had them down as pipe smokers myself!

20 hours ago, big ted said:

How about the old floodlights from the early 60s? Several pylons surrounding the pitch which,  if I remember correctly , some bloke had to go round turning on one at a time?

These were made by City Chairman Harry Dolman at his company Brecknell Dolman and Rogers. They could be lowered to ground level, if required. Very handy if you needed to change a lamp. They were effective to a certain degree, but hopeless if a player kicked a ball high into the air 

Snow and ice. It seems amazing, looking back, but matches were played with snow and ice on the pitch. The usual ploy with a light layer of snow was to use an orange ball and just clear a strip along the touch line, penalty area lines etc. 

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Snow and ice. It seems amazing, looking back, but matches were played with snow and ice on the pitch. The usual ploy with a light layer of snow was to use an orange ball and just clear a strip along the touch line, penalty area lines etc. 

And the odd petal of a player would wear gloves or, heaven forfend, tights - I`m looking at you Keith Weller - and would get dog`s abuse for it!

Archived