IGNORED

The Daily Pavement

AppyDAZE

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

You been on those magic mushrooms again mate

Maybe i've been listening to the wrong kind of music. Got any good bands you know of, Joe?

Before I've not had you down as a music fan sort of bloke, but I could be wrong. Let's see

6 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not really anymore mate,that lot above tho just sound like a blur/the strokes mashup 

Yeah, but who do you recommend? and they came a bit before your 2 bands there

An easy question for you. What bands do you like? And then I can tell you if i think you must be on  something or not.

Maybe you aren't a music person, no shame in that , mate

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Yeah, but who do you recommend? and they came a bit before your 2 bands there

An easy question for you. What bands do you like?

The stones,the smiths I could go on,none these days because I just don’t listen to modern bands, unless it’s a bit of hardstyle or techno I’m not interested(got to keep raving mate)

I've always loved Range Life. At school we were asked to write the lyrics down of a song you like and I chose this song, mainly because the lines just meander around without an obvious meaning and spoke about drugs, music and skating and other stuff that I thought the teacher wouldn't like.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I've always loved Range Life. At school we were asked to write the lyrics down of a song you like and I chose this song, mainly because the lines just meander around without an obvious meaning and spoke about drugs, music and skating and other stuff that I thought the teacher wouldn't like.

Gotta love the bit later in the song, where he starts ripping into some of his contemporaries

"Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins
Nature kids, I/they don't have no function
I don't understand what they mean
And I could really give a ****...

upset Billy Corgan so much, he wanted them kicked off the Lollapalooza tour.

"The Stone Temple Pilots,
They're elegant bachelors
They're foxy to me
Are they foxy to you?
I will agree
There isn't absolutely nothing
Nothing more than me

As i said, anyone who hasn't seen Slow Century, it really is worth seeing.

Talk about not selling out. SM always just wrote and recorded the stuff that he wanted to.

Markmus is the man.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Did anyone like Sebadoh back in the 90s?

Bakesale was a solid album. 

And whilst talking 'lo-fi', would there have been Pavement without Sonic Youth?

Probably not, but Pavement were more melodic, and this is why I'm such a big fan. Good shout on these bands though.

Pavement were only really "lo-fi" for the early stuff. From the second proper album on, the music is really well recorded and produced.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Probably not, but Pavement were more melodic, and this is why I'm such a big fan. Good shout on these bands though.

Pavement were only really "lo-fi" for the early stuff. From the second proper album on, the music is really well recorded and produced.

Yeah wasn't Slanted and Enchanted very much a lo-fi garage rock album? I must say, I stopped listening to them after Wowee Zowee and haven't actually listened to the last two albums.

I'll also big up the Flaming Lips. I saw them and Pavement at Reading Festival in 94/95, but it was later, in 99 when I grew to admire them. They supported Mercury Rev but completely stole the show with the songs off their Soft Bulletin album which I think is one of the most underrated albums ever. Not only did they create a unique sound, with interesting themes, but the songs are just really good.

Finally, Modest Mouse are another jaunty band that I love. Dashboard is one of my favourite songs, with a cracking video, but they've got a long catalogue of quirky songs with limited interest in complying with the mainstream (perhaps with the exception of the catchy Float On).

Archived