IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I said no point is self isolating days after the contact. Of course isolate after the contact, but what I meant was that if you know you've had contact, you need to begin your isolation straight away, not wait til the middle of next week!

I'm just hoping we'll know about our game at Forest sooner rather than later. The Forest players, if they need to self isolate, will need to do so soon, so we should know today hopefully. 

He only revealed he had it yesterday ?‍♂️

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

Only discussed insofar as news outlets reported that several nations had asked for it to be postponed, only for UEFA to come out and say that they've not received a single request to do so!  No talk of it being considered at the moment.... though it would make sense to have the idea simmering. 

Something will have to give though first game is in Italy on June 12th so really all the leagues and cups need to be finished by end of May. 

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

He only revealed he had it yesterday ?‍♂️

Yeah, I know. And the Forest players knew that yesterday. So they isolate (or as it now transpires, get tested) yesterday. All I was saying was that we wouldn't have to wait until the middle of next week to know whether our game there was going to get called off.

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Indeed 

Coronavirus has been around for decades and is in itself nothing worse than influenza. Which is why the measures being brought in (washing hands etc) are to stop that spreading. 

The virus that is the current problem is called Covid-19 and is something different 

It is interesting to read / watch various news agencies how they are careful which terminology they are using 

Covid-19 IS a form of coronavirus.  Covid stands for Corona Virus Disease. the 19 refers to this strain first being detected in (December) 2019.

You are right to say that there are many other coronaviri out there and they have been known for decades. 

This one, however, is a new strain, likely zoonotic (passed from animals to humans) and we have little immunity to it and no vaccine.

Roma to Sevilla off makes sense. 

However, last night Atalanta from Bergamo- which I'm quite sure is North of Rome- went to Valencia. 

EDIT- 372 miles North in fact!!

Seems to be no real uniform UEFA policy here. That one last night was behind closed doors of course, but Leipzig v Tottenham of course wasn't.

Granted it's less acute here and in Germany than in Italy but I'd have though it's quite a bit worse in Bergamo than Rome. :dunno:

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yeah, I know. And the Forest players knew that yesterday. So they isolate (or as it now transpires, get tested) yesterday. All I was saying was that we wouldn't have to wait until the middle of next week to know whether our game there was going to get called off.

I think I see what you’re saying now sorry, it seems the forest players were being tested before making a decision - presumably they can’t test until a few days after contact as it may not show up or the delay was simply because they weren’t aware there was a potential issue until the owner announced it?

Seems like they are all negative so should be ok to go ahead

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

However, last night Atalanta from Bergamo- which I'm quite sure is North of Rome- went to Valencia. 

Seems to be no real uniform UEFA policy here. That one last night was behind closed doors of course, but Leipzig v Tottenham of course wasn't.

Granted it's less acute here and in Germany than in Italy but I'd have though it's quite a bit worse in Bergamo than Rome. :dunno:

Sevilla/Roma is off as Roma’s flight into Spain is unable to get permission to land.

Presumably Atlanta would have flown into Spain on Sunday/Monday when official guidance was different. 

44 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Roma's game in Sevilla in doubt as plane not authorised to leave Italy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51831256

Anyone else think it would be a good idea to cancel Euro 2020 until next year, as I can see this season dragging on way into June and beyond at this rate

Interestingly uefa refused wolves request to postpone their game with Olympiacos so they don’t seem interested in cancelling anything unless they really have to

13 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think I see what you’re saying now sorry, it seems the forest players were being tested before making a decision - presumably they can’t test until a few days after contact as it may not show up or the delay was simply because they weren’t aware there was a potential issue until the owner announced it?

Seems like they are all negative so should be ok to go ahead

To be honest, it started more around the self isolation thing - there just seems to be suggestions that

a) the players might self-isolate for 14 days, and

b) we wouldn't know until next week whether the game was on or not

and I was saying that if they were going into isolation then they'd need to do that pretty much straight away (as you said)

Anyway, all good - although I suspect there are plenty more unforeseen surprises coming along the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

EDIT- 372 miles North in fact!!

Yep, bang in the middle of Lombardy, where the worst outbreak has been and where the lockdown has been in place for a week or two. 

I can only assume they test players and impose some kind of control on their movements??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

If you think our government have any intention of controlling the virus like the Chinese then I believe you are mistaken. 

There will be no curfew, no wholesale impact on movement. 

I’m not sure what makes you so certain of that.  I am expecting that schools will all be closed, certainly before the end of April, and severe restrictions to be put on all public gatherings, including sport.  The whispers coming down from the FA to grassroots football certainly suggest that this Sunday’s youth games may be amongst the last to be unrestricted for quite a while.

I've now cancelled my plans to go to the Forest game. Luckily I'd not bought a ticket but am losing out on train tickets, hotel costs and gig tickets whilst I was there but I just think I've got to be sensible about my health and I think, at this point, mass gatherings are too much of a risk for anyone with an underlying condition. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I've now cancelled my plans to go to the Forest game. Luckily I'd not bought a ticket but am losing out on train tickets, hotel costs and gig tickets whilst I was there but I just think I've got to be sensible about my health and I think, at this point, mass gatherings are too much of a risk for anyone with an underlying condition. 

Update to that. The hotel have been really nice and asked if I want to use the booking later in the year. Really kind of them. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I guess the 4,378 people who have so far died just weren’t made of stern enough stuff.

That figure is miniscule, how many people have died from let's say old age in that time period?

Clearly, I don't know the answer, not sure if such a thing is recorded - but it must be far higher.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

That figure is miniscule, how many people have died from let's say old age in that time period?

Clearly, I don't know the answer, not sure if such a thing is recorded - but it must be far higher.

You are talking nonsense mate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super said:

You are talking nonsense mate.

Don't think so, are you panicking over a virus?  I don't fear things that may happen, otherwise no one would ever leave their homes.

Fact is, people get ill in thousands of situations and people often die - don't know why this is alarming so many people to the extent it is.

The media and sporting authorities are making this virus out to be a doomsday scenario - ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

It's not about the absolute figure right now, it's about the potential for a worsening, out-of-control situation that overwhelms healthcare services and kills much larger numbers of vulnerable people.  China shut down an entire city to prevent spread.  Italy has put itself into lockdown.  Italian healthcare services are already being overwhelmed by a relatively small percentage of infection in the context of their entire population (https://www.ft.com/content/34f25036-62f4-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68).  Have you considered why the authorities in those countries decided to take such drastic measures?  It wasn't the media that made those decisions.

Preventing the spread is not simply about the risk to the individual, which is thankfully very small for most of us; it's about keeping the load on healthcare services to a manageable level.  It's about avoiding a hugely disruptive large peak of illness where huge numbers of people are all ill at the same time - as well as protecting vulnerable members of society who (unlike flu) don't have the protection of a vaccine.

• Like 5

don't be fooled.

this is a serious problem. approx 1% of cases need intensive care. the data says we have 456 cases in the UK. reality is we have 10 to 100 times that amount, they just aren't "official" yet (4 500 cases is a scary number in itself). 

if the gov't orders a lock down tomorrow cases will plateau. if not we'll find out in 10 days our fate. every day cases grow exponentially. 

italy left it too long to lock down. and a national newspaper rather helpfully released the news early, so many from the north headed south.

i rate sporting events will be called off, festivals will be called off, life will need to go on hold...if only we had a government...

the season may well be declared null and void - or a line will be drawn and that would be it - villa would be down - just imagine that for one minute ? - and we'd finish seventh (an improvement) - LJ keeps his job and we go again.

Edited by DaveInSA
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, phantom said:

One thing that seems to be confusing people on this thread is that Coronavirus is NOT what is killing these people. 

People ARE getting Coronavirus but it is COVID-19 that is killing people there IS a difference 

Coronavirus has been around for decades with many people being infected like now 

11 hours ago, phantom said:

Part of the problem is that people ARE being diagnosed with Coronavirus (as they have been since the 1950s) but very few are catching Covid-19 and everyone seems to be treating them both as the same when they are not. 

Just like any other airborne bug you have to be within 6ft of an affected person for at least 15 minutes to catch the Coronavirus, but the sensationalist headlines and misleading news stories has put everyone into a panic 

It's funny how there is next to no news reporting that new cases etc in the Chinese regions are dropping daily and the infamous hospital that was built quickly is now standing empty as it is not required. 

Even the Italian "lockdown" is misleading as people were still working as normal yesterday 

Please stop talking when you obviously have no idea. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Yep just done this.  Have now told my family members to chill the F out!

I consider that you are acting sensibly.

My wife is asthmatic and I am nearly 77 now. The flu or even heavy colds may not kill us, but would leave us a lot weaker and much more susceptible to the Covid-19. And thus with much less resistance.

So thanks to everyone who is taking the cautious route at present. Get well soon.

@RedDave

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Swedish season starting early April could be on hold as gatherings of 500 people or more is not allowed.

Travelling to Stockholm and Copenhagen 31St March,  for a week, usual touristy stuff. Is there liable to be any kind of restrictions in place by then mate? @bristolcitysweden

Edited by The Horse With No Name

23 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Travelling to Stockholm and Copenhagen 31St March,  for a week, usual touristy stuff. Is there liable to be any kind of restrictions in place by then mate? @bristolcitysweden

Think Denmark have the same restriction as us (gatherings of 500 people or more is not allowed) and you will have to face it 

Edited by bristolcitysweden
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I consider that you are acting sensibly.

My wife is asthmatic and I am nearly 77 now. The flu or even heavy colds may not kill us, but would leave us a lot weaker and much more susceptible to the Covid-19. And thus with much less resistance.

So thanks to everyone who is taking the cautious route at present. Get well soon.

@RedDave

Indeed. 

Due to my son's health issues he will leave school this week and myself and my daughter will be moving out this weekend, leaving my wife and son in total isolation. 

For how long, who knows. Genuinely, I may not see them for months. 

I'm very upset about it and still can't understand the flippant, laissez-faire attitude that, ultimately will come back to bite.

Disabled people, who can't generally isolate are in the firing line and depend on us all to avoid both contraction on transmission. It's a shame most people are just looking after themselves and considering themselves and not others. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Indeed. 

Due to my son's health issues he will leave school this week and myself and my daughter will be moving out this weekend, leaving my wife and son in total isolation. 

For how long, who knows. Genuinely, I may not see them for months. 

I'm very upset about it and still can't understand the flippant, laissez-faire attitude that, ultimately will come back to bite.

Disabled people, who can't generally isolate are in the firing line and depend on us all to avoid both contraction on transmission. It's a shame most people are just looking after themselves and considering themselves and not others. 

Awful situation for you CR. The attitude of some people on this absolutely stinks and some of the stuff going around regards peoples views on ‘natural selection’ is truly unbelievable although in this day and age not too surprising unfortunately.  I wish you and yours well and let’s hope this is over or at least calms down sooner rather than later. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1