IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

Putting aside the health factors for a minute and looking at the financial factors could this see more ELF clubs go to the wall? Any long term postponements or games being played behind closed door would surely significantly affect their cash flow situation? 

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I realise it's a challenge for you, but any chance you could have a bash at not being an attention seeking ****, just this once?

Telling Rob to get a grip isn’t attention seeking.

So thanks for the concern but I’ll stick to a reality where a worldwide pandemic is more pressing than whether or not @Olé gets to go to Blackburn (A). 

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

There wuz 9,000,000 loyal true and prowed when we wuz at Wembolee  for our glorious promotion out of Division 5. ***y went there for the Premier League playoff and took NUN!

They wuz probs all in Jersey avoiding tax with Lansdown. 

But we self quarantined our celebrations when we got back home, mind.

CF1_IksWEAA1AV3-1.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

We’ll see how serious they are about this later today if they cancel the last day of Cheltenham. 
If they come out today and say I can’t travel to Blackburn on Saturday then I don’t see how they could let Friday at Cheltenham go ahead. 

No one is saying you cant travel to Blackburn, Harry. Just that you wont see much when you get there.

On 11/03/2020 at 06:30, ZiderEyed said:

I'm currently self isolating on the advice of my GP. Despite the fact im quite young and pretty fit I do feel like death, and I'd rather not give anything to someone who would seriously suffer with it.

I was told I'm not going to be screened because (despite showing all symptoms) I haven't been abroad at all, which puts paid to any idea I had of remaining NHS sensibility. There's 2 other people in buildings within 200yds of me also under isolation so I'm shit scared.

Hope you feel better soon and it all turns out to be something else. A city win on the weekend will cheer you up 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chappers said:

Seems to be a case of doing something to grab headlines rather than the right thing. The economic argument re public transport is illogical, as you either want to delay it or not, all measures have economic consequences. I would suggest that Elwood Park is much lower risk than packed public transport. Then of course there are the Euros, worst time to hold them across Europe with plenty of travelling.

It’s not illogical at all. You want to delay the virus where you can while balancing the economic risks of doing so.

In the case of football, the risk of spread outweighs the economic damage.

In the case of public transport, the risk of economic damage outweighs the risk of spread.

It may reach a point where there is justification for shutting down everything - and we might even be at that point now - but that doesn’t make the argument illogical. An economic disaster can itself become a health disaster, so it is entirely reasonable to attempt to strike that balance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s not illogical at all. You want to delay the virus where you can while balancing the economic risks of doing so.

In the case of football, the risk of spread outweighs the economic damage.

In the case of public transport, the risk of economic damage outweighs the risk of spread.

It may reach a point where there is justification for shutting down everything - and we might even be at that point now - but that doesn’t make the argument illogical. An economic disaster can itself become a health disaster, so it is entirely reasonable to attempt to strike that balance.

But the scientific evidence seems to be that it’s much harder to catch in the open air than in enclosed indoor spaces. You either want to delay it or you don’t.

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'd rather the league was suspended than playing matches behind closed doors. Professional football played in empty stadiums is pointless. Players want the atmosphere of a crowd to perform at their best. 

Not wrong.

Was flicking between PSG and Liverpool games last night and the PSG game though the quality was obviously high in both, was like a training game...terrible. Weird atmosphere, didn't like it at all.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

26 minutes ago, Chappers said:

But the scientific evidence seems to be that it’s much harder to catch in the open air than in enclosed indoor spaces. You either want to delay it or you don’t.

It’s simply not as black and white as that. You want to delay it while also protecting your economy.

If it really was that simple, you’d just shut everything down now and order everyone to stay inside for two weeks. But the economic consequences would be enormous.

8 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Also with outside events with crowds as is football. Everyone meets in concourse and use loos where contamination will be and with virus possible to stay for 12hrs only takes a few people to brush/touch contaminated areas and it gets spread out it control. 

Latest research shows that the virus can survive for up to 3 hours in the air and up to 3 days on surfaces.

58 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

No one is saying you cant travel to Blackburn, Harry. Just that you wont see much when you get there.

It’s the traveling they are worried about. Not so much the actual game attendance but the masses on buses and trains to get there they are worried about. 

So Man City vs Real Madrid in doubt because of their lockdown, Wolves were refused permission for their game to be postponed by UEFA lets see if they have the balls to say the same to Madrid, no reason their players couldn't be checked for the virus in a few days like Forest checked all their players/staff

On 09/03/2020 at 11:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was looking around at how one or two other countries dealt/deal with it, or have so far.

Picked one at random with a very low number of cases. Armenia has one- apparently shut border with Iran etc, suspended Visa free regime with China at end of January on a temp basis, put 30 people who the first guy had direct contact with into quarantine...seems that case is/has been the one and only. Possibly can be sealed off somewhat if measures taken pretty well instantly. Guess that China suspension thing will be quite open-ended.

https://armenpress.am/eng/news/1007179/

THIS is how to deal with it.