IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting legal debate. I’d say the product you bought - 23 home games - is not “as described” and therefore you are entitled to a partial refund.

Interesting in our recent season card renewal, there was nothing about the notional “price per game” equivalent being caveated by something along the lines of “it will be more if we are in the Premier”.

image.thumb.jpeg.04508c3fe3dca21efd877a2647d8bfbc.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Force Majeure a factor here?

Came across it in my day job so I wonder...out of control, unforseeable circs etc.

I read that season ticket holders may have access to a live stream of EFL games if they're played behind closed doors probably so clubs don't feel obliged to offer a refund

• Like 1

• The topic was unlocked

Just read an interesting article on ITV news website which suggests that the best way to manage the Coronavirus is by giving the country 'herd immunity'. This means that you use lockdowns and quarantines to manage the way the population gets the virus but with the ultimate goal to get enough people immune (after recovery) to stop the infection in it's tracks. If a high proportion of low risk individuals get the virus - and then acquire immunity  - it should ensure the virus spreads more slowly to those who are able to remain uninfected. High risk individuals can be quarantined to some degree whilst the virus circulates in the 'healthy' population. Most of the people in these ' low risk' groups will not require hospital treatment.

This seems to make sense because the vaccine is some way off and until this arrives anyone who has not been infected is vulnerable. The Chinese are celebrating their 'success' now but in reality they've just kicked the can down the road because when they emerge from their quarantine they will be vulnerable again..... and again! 

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I read that season ticket holders may have access to a live stream of EFL games if they're played behind closed doors probably so clubs don't feel obliged to offer a refund

Yep, read that too.  Dunno whether that covers you to watch away games though.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

If games are played behind closed doors and streamed, I wonder if those who 'love a bit of pyro' will be setting off smoke bombs at home, or will they be worried that they might stain their mum's new DFS sofa?

Nah they'd go upstairs and chuck them out the window into their next doors gazebo.

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Not to make light of what is clearly an escalating situation, but why are football fans always the thing people want to stop first. Icy streets stop football fans. Terrorist threats check football fans jackets. COVID-19 play football behind closed doors.

Meanwhile everyone else do what the **** you like. We were talking about Coronavirus at Leeds away - that's when it was first reported in the UK. A month ago. It had already taken hold in Italy. Did we stop people heading off to ski in Northern Italy?

I haven't left the country for a holiday, I work hard and want to follow my team around England. The last thing I want to do is catch or pass on a virus to the vulnerable, but FFS it's been fine for a different class of people to get their annual ski trip done first.

I get it, big crowds, virus out of control, moving from containment to delay. But there is a sub-text. Football fans are irresponsible, football fans are unhygienic. I could get it on the tube - and more likely too. Why are football fans a different class of big crowd.

Politicians won't bat an eye lid if football fans all end up £100s out of pocket on trains and match tickets let alone season ticket. Meanwhile holidaymakers have a thing called travel insurance and when the government pulls the plug, they get them all home.

Sorry, this is a bit of a misplaced rant, it is a serious situation, I just detest the double standards.

They’re just stopping very large gatherings. 

That being said, some fans have the IQ of a ham sandwich 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nathandao said:

If the season does get cancelled, what will happen to bets placed on season long markets? I have some money on us getting promoted that I chucked on the day we signed Benik. Will there be a refund or would I be stuffed?

Bookies discretion - would imagine they make enough to refund bets.

Darren Fergusson, P'boro' Manager has suggested the League shuts now for 2 - 3 weeks then  recommences. That would be better financially for clubs in the lower two divs than continuing now to empty stadia.

Many  lower clubs could be bankrupted if games go ahead with no paying fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would say 'highly unlikely' and to be honest, I wouldn't expect clubs to refund either. 

We committed our cash, the clubs have spent it (and some). Only thing you might be able to argue would be some sort of Section 75 claim (depending on how you paid) against your card provider.

It's out of their control.

Is this anything linked to Section 82? 
Do I get a refund on my stickers that I now won’t be able to plaster on all the remaining away grounds? 
It’s so unfair. 

Edited by Harry

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Going to be a nightmare for our 2022 Champions League defense ;)

Don't talk utter rubbish.  We couldn't win the Champions league untill 2022, so cannot defend it in that year.  It'll be 2023.  Some people come out with utter rubbish! :D

In terms of playing behind closed doors and streaming them.  At least one person said the quality of the match was high, but was weird due to no crowd.  How would people feel about canned crowd noises in those circumstances?  Would that make it more palatable? (or maybe rather less unpalatable?).

• Haha 1

On 11/03/2020 at 13:26, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

IF I was as callous as you, or pragmatic as you see it, I would ask why wait, but I would never wish that on your family and friends. 

Your clemency is deeply appreciated.

I do ponder your question on a regular basis. It cuts to the core of everything though and is far too big to really discuss on a football forum. You end up down a very deep rabbit hole of existentialism, nihilism and generally end up in some dark cul-de-sac of the soul. Perhaps your solution - family and friends - is the true answer.

To be clear; I don't wish death into anyone's life, but I also urge people not to fear it when it does knock. One day I hope to welcome death as an old friend and join those I've lost on whatever the next adventure may hold. 

So we continue, we endure...but that doesn't mean we panic.

On 11/03/2020 at 07:00, And Its Smith said:

Nice to know how often you think about me.  Has the season been cancelled then? That’s what I called ridiculous. I can’t see that it has. Perhaps you can send me a link! 

I’ll send you a link when it’s avaîlable Red Dave - incidentally, I see you’ve changed your forum name from Red Dave to ‘And Its Smith’ - you may wish to make a further change, it should be...”It’s” - just to make it correct ...cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3