IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's worrying as I have my dad, living on his own at 83. He's fiercely independent and I try and pop round a couple of times a week and speak to him most days. Yes, he's a fit 83 but I still don't know whether to keep going round. I'm in and out of hospitals all day at work so am possibly more likely than most to pick this bloody thing up. The last thing I want to do is expose the old fella to more risk!

What to do for the best? 

Ring explain why you are not popping round wish him all the best and tell him when this all blows over you will be back in smiling and tell him you love him.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

I think that is the only option they have how they decide what happens to the end of the season good luck to whoever has to make that decision 

Yes, with our owner and transfer fee income we can afford to lose the income from the last 4-5 home games, but you get the feeling that could be catastrophic for some clubs

2 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, with our owner and transfer fee income we can afford to lose the income from the last 4-5 home games, but you get the feeling that could be catastrophic for some clubs

I don't see how they can catch up  is the next world Cup a winter tournament god knows but as I said good luck to the decision makers they can't please everyone 

• Admin
On 12/03/2020 at 19:29, BS2 Red said:

It was.

Although a general “I wish you were dead!” is a lot different to “there’s a disease that will kill the elderly and that’ll help my investment portfolio”.

I’m not so sure there is a huge distinction between the two, the reason people were wishing old Brexit voters dead was they were hoping the outcome of a second referendum would be altered by that happening to one that suited their agenda. 
Is that so much different?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

That's worrying as I have my dad, living on his own at 83. He's fiercely independent and I try and pop round a couple of times a week and speak to him most days. Yes, he's a fit 83 but I still don't know whether to keep going round. I'm in and out of hospitals all day at work so am possibly more likely than most to pick this bloody thing up. The last thing I want to do is expose the old fella to more risk!

What to do for the best? 

I honestly think the best thing to do is be honest and give him the choice. If he is healthy and has the ability to make an informed decision then it should be his decision. Explain you are concerned, be honest about what you think the risks are and let him decide what he wants you to do.

• Like 2

Mass gatherings like Glastonbury, Wimbledon and Ascot being mentioned shows this is likely to go on till at least June. 

if this is the case then, it will be difficult to finish this season.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-government-plans-to-combat-covid-19-spread-11957350

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:
3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

What to do for the best? 

I honestly think the best thing to do is be honest and give him the choice. If he is healthy and has the ability to make an informed decision then it should be his decision. Explain you are concerned, be honest about what you think the risks are and let him decide what he wants you to do.

Am in a similar boat to an extent - my dad has diabetes, lung disease and lung cancer so a bout of this could finish him off (he's only 68).  Having asked him about it he said he'd rather die of this than the alternative (that's gallows humour for you)

• Like 1

On 12/03/2020 at 16:16, harvey54 said:

Currently self-isolating. Came back from Malta and a week later I started sweating, aching and feeling wiped out. Lots of Italians on Malta as it's only a ferry ride away. Feels like the start of a heavy cold to be honest but my Mrs works in the NHS so I'm housebound. 

Box set heaven ?

all the best to ya' mate - we're in state of emergency right now in Warsaw with everything shutdown and rumours of imminent curfew being introduced tomorrow - heard a mate of mine earlier carted off by the men in white coats and you can feel the city in a genuine state of panic and paranoia. This is a very real issue, and it's unbelievable people are still casual and offhand about it all - or worse, using it to point score and settle either political or personal agendas. 

We will get through this, but it needs concerted effort from absolute everyone. More so, we need to learn lessons - i.e. firstly, as a planet we learn to work collectively and effectively to respond to such situations in the future; and b, that our individual governments don't use every budget to slash the **** out of our emergency services. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery! 

• Like 1

I was going to renew my season card this weekend as the deadline is on Monday.

With the likelihood of this season running on until lord knows when, booking your seat for next season, whenever that may start, by the middle of March, now seems a bit early to me.

But I don't suppose the club will alter the renewal dates.

5 hours ago, pillred said:

British scientists are close to finding a vaccine for coronavirus apparently, let's keep our fingers crossed we may be nearer the end of this nightmare than we thought.

It will take months to do human trials and you cant fast track the process in case there are unforeseen side effects. Especially if the plan is to roll it out to millions of people in a short space of time.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Mass gatherings like Glastonbury, Wimbledon and Ascot being mentioned shows this is likely to go on till at least June. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mass-gatherings-to-be-banned-under-government-plans-to-combat-covid-19-spread-11957350

I agree I think it’s highly unlikely the season will conclude, which you can easily see including the play offs.

8 minutes ago, One Team said:

I agree I think it’s highly unlikely the season will conclude, which you can easily see including the play offs.

Agreed - be interesting to see whether the Top 3 end up being promoted to Prem automatically - I don’t genuinely believe that this is the fairest thing to do but who knows what the EFL will decide?! ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HiddenGem7 said:

It will take months to do human trials and you cant fast track the process in case there are unforeseen side effects. Especially if the plan is to roll it out to millions of people in a short space of time.

I do clinical trials, they have lots of groups taking the drugs doing different doses each time a new group starts. Think I read it can take up to 12 years for drugs to get from development to being approved and on the shelves. There's a company in London who I believe are running trials soon for this virus 

I think this season will be cancelled.  If they decide to play on the virus will result in some team’s isolating and others being unfit as they are coming out of isolation. Training and traveling is going to be problematic.  Integrity is shot away. Why not just abandon and when we kick off next season give teams points head start to reflect where they are at this stage.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I think this season will be cancelled.  If they decide to play on the virus will result in some team’s isolating and others being unfit as they are coming out of isolation. Training and traveling is going to be problematic.  Integrity is shot away. Why not just abandon and when we kick off next season give teams points head start to reflect where they are at this stage.

Unfair and wrong to abandon the season, as I said yesterday. HOWEVER, if the government are seriously considering placing a ban on all gatherings of over 500 people for up to two years then it's difficult to see any other outcome. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Unfair and wrong to abandon the season, as I said yesterday. HOWEVER, if the government are seriously considering placing a ban on all gatherings of over 500 people for up to two years then it's difficult to see any other outcome. 

Well if you take the crowd out of the equation, it is possible to finish the season behind closed doors with all fans watching on Robin's TV. Sky  and BT can still get their games too.

This does require the clubs being able to justify the players and staff going to work despite the associated risks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Don’t know if mentioned but The Killers put a message out a couple of days ago basically saying they had been working hard and planning their concerts for a long time and hoped/expected the virus to take the normal flu Summer pattern.

Can’t see at the moment it will still happen.

• Like 2

A proposal from German FA is to increase the number of Bundesliga teams to 22 next season and promote the top 4 teams from below with no relegation.

Slight difference there is usually the top 2 teams go up and then the 3rd play against 16th in a playoff for promotion/survival so lower teams will benefit.

One idea here could be to scrap the play off system and just do two up / two down? Still probably have teams that feel hard done by though.

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

2 years?

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Would that include parliament…? :ph34r:

• Like 1