IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Reported earlier today

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-antiviral-drugs-fail.html

However if they find a vaccine from something that has already been approved then trials are massively reduced. 

One thing I’ve thought and could be miles of track here (I’m concrete technical not medical technical) If the common flu mutates then how do they get the vaccines ready each year? 

I think the real game changer, as the CSO said yesterday, is the test for whether someone has had COVID 19. Although not 100% confirmed, the working medical assumption is that if you’ve had it you develop at least some immunity, and assumedly you can get a test out quicker than you can a vaccine as there’s less likelihood of complications arising?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Anyone watch BBC Breakfast this morning. One whinging woman moaning about having to work from home ( looked like a big house) and having her 5 year old keep interrupting her, and also wants to know when she can send kids back to school. Absolutely incredible selfishness. 

At times like this you will find out a lot about people. Some will step up others will be selfish bastards.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, lenred said:

There’s been no civil disobedience anywhere else with those stringent measures already in place. Why would there be here?  There won’t be, it’s just more scaremongering.  

Those other places tend to have more stringent policing anyway and have had clear measures from the government. It was only a week ago that the government here were telling people we’d just carry on as nothing was happening.

Our government are still dithering and delaying in telling people If they’re going to be looked after through this crisis, causing thousands to continue working or leaving to spread it outside London to go home.  

Remembering the 2011 London Riots I’m just apprehensive if they’ve prepared to bring the army in if they’re serious about a lockdown. Rumours (briefed out of Whitehall) are going around like wildfire here that shops and transport are about to close causing even more stockpiling. 

Edited by Odysseus

They will need to bring in the lock down soon, just seeing some of the comments on social media of the amount of people not following advice is crazy.

People genuinely asking about where they can take kids next week to visit, soft plays etc, and saying they wont stop their kids meeting up with large groups of friends. 

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Anyone watch BBC Breakfast this morning. One whinging woman moaning about having to work from home ( looked like a big house) and having her 5 year old keep interrupting her, and also wants to know when she can send kids back to school. Absolutely incredible selfishness. 

The selfishness, greed and don't give a damn about anyone else is showing how uncaring we have become as a nation.

This is totally different to how we were during the second World War. People looking out for each other, helping others was a way of life that is sadly no longer with us. Reportedly, the Italians have shown that they can cope with a disastrous time without resorting to greed and selfishness.

Those who bought trolley loads of toilet rolls need to learn to share the pain!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Apparently this was one persons rations for a week in the war, I assume bread and veg were added, but how would many cope with that.....

ration.jpg

2oz of butter Mum says down in Cornwall back in the forties.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

As I said the drugs for HIV seem to work against Covid 19, and as they are tried and already tested should enable them to be fast tracked, as for having enough for all of us well your guess is as good as mine.

Let's hope if they are used we don't run out of counter measure drugs such as those to stop diorhea. 

2 hours ago, bpexile said:

According to the Ozzie link, apparently because of the fact that both of the drugs that are being combined have been through the stringent tests before in other applications, it could reduce the testing times, lets hope so.

Side effects likely to be severe I reckon. If one is healthy might be best to simply ride it out rather than stuff your body with medications that are a bit on the strong side. People should be improving their immune systems in any proven natural way possible and there are plenty.

34 minutes ago, lenred said:

There’s been no civil disobedience anywhere else with those stringent measures already in place. Why would there be here?  There won’t be, it’s just more scaremongering.  

Do you know that for a fact? Perhaps you have an account with Reuters and can scour the world news; even if you did I am sure there is a fair share of civil disobedience going on. 

I still reckon there is some mileage in the conspiracy that China started this to quell the civil disobedience that was already getting out of control in HK and in fact in some other cities. Probably a far fetched idea but I would not put it past that current regime I really wouldn't.

The Chinese military, for example, now have undercover plain clothes agents in many 'friendly' countries. 3000 it is said here in the Philippines. What for? To ensure Duterte remains in power and friendly. 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The selfishness, greed and don't give a damn about anyone else is showing how uncaring we have become as a nation.

This is totally different to his we were during the second World War. People looking out for each other, helping others was a way of life that is sadly no longer with us. Reportedly, the Italians have shown that they can cope with a disastrous time without resorting to greed and selfishness.

Those who bought trolley loads of toilet rolls need to learn to share the pain!

Yep. If Brexit didn’t bring out the worst of our country (on both sides - before anyone cries foul) then this situation really really is. It will also bring out the best in people, which won’t go as widely reported of course, but the selfishness shown by many will I’m afraid once and for all dispel any remaining notion of Britain being a sharing and caring society with a high moral compass. 

Edited by lenred
Typo

• Admin
21 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yep. If Brexit didn’t bring out the worst of our country (on both sides - before anyone cries foul) then this really situation really really is. It will also bring out the best in people, which go as widely reported of course, but the selfishness shown by many will I’m afraid once and for all dispel any remaining notion of Britain being a sharing and caring society with a high moral compass. 

It wouldn't be difficult to only allow cash purchases up to £25 and card purchases to £75 - I know some selfish bastards would go back and double up, but card purchases could be controlled to a weekly or bi-weekly limit.

I haven't bought anything out of the ordinary, but yesterday the shelves were pretty bare, so it doesn't bode well and plenty seem to be taking no notice of the calls to stop panic buying.

Speaking to a guy in the army, he says they are being prepared to take on guarding nuclear facilities to free up police, to stand in if delivery drivers go sick and deliver to old and vulnerable in remote areas, so plans in place and yet people still being selfish.

• Like 1

It’s probably a good time for the country to actually learn about the myth we’ve been fed about “Blitz sprit” spread by the baby boomers who didn’t live through it. 

https://www.marxists.org/history/etol/writers/challinor/1995/02/class-war-blitz.html

The working class in London were shafted without proper shelters while the upper class fine dined in hotels. Looting, raping, stealing jewellery from the dead were widespread. 

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

It wouldn't be difficult to only allow cash purchases up to £25 and card purchases to £75 - I know some selfish bastards would go back and double up, but card purchases could be controlled to a weekly or bi-weekly limit.

I haven't bought anything out of the ordinary, but yesterday the shelves were pretty bare, so it doesn't bode well and plenty seem to be taking no notice of the calls to stop panic buying.

Speaking to a guy in the army, he says they are being prepared to take on guarding nuclear facilities to free up police, to stand in if delivery drivers go sick and deliver to old and vulnerable in remote areas, so plans in place and yet people still being selfish.

This^

Went to the supermarket last Sunday was pleasantly surprised by the amount and range of goods they had in stock, so I did a usual shop wrongly believing that the selfish had got everything they would need and had gone home.

Appears people are still at it. Why!!!! 

Pleased to see that supermarkets are putting limits on things now, but it should never have come to that.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the real game changer, as the CSO said yesterday, is the test for whether someone has had COVID 19. Although not 100% confirmed, the working medical assumption is that if you’ve had it you develop at least some immunity, and assumedly you can get a test out quicker than you can a vaccine as there’s less likelihood of complications arising?

Vaccine will be over a year away.  Humans have already been given a vaccine, animal testing skipped. Need to then monitor those people for 14 months to see vaccine side affects 

I can see the panic buying getting even worse if they roll out some form universal basic income.

Numbers of between £48p/w and £1000p/m have been banded about. 

Granted there would be those would spend £1000 on a new television, overlooking the fact that they might not have a wall to nail it to if they don't pay for their accommodation, but equally there will be those who decide to try and corner the tinned tomatoes market.

At the lower end of the figures quoted, I would expect retailers adding a few pence to each product so no one (apart from them) benefits, at the top end, hyper inflation and goods costing a king's ransom.

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Vaccine will be over a year away.  Humans have already been given a vaccine, animal testing skipped. Need to then monitor those people for 14 months to see vaccine side affects 

There has been some success with various existing antivirals in mitigating the severity of the disease.

2 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

She can keep the 5 year old occupied building castles with all the toilet rolls she's bought! 

In the NHS region of South West , there are a total of 117 confirmed cases.

This includes:

• Bristol - 12 (up from eight yesterday)
  • North Somerset - four (up from three)
  • South Gloucestershire - nine (up from six)
  • Bath and North East Somerset - three

1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

Those other places tend to have more stringent policing anyway and have had clear measures from the government. It was only a week ago that the government here were telling people we’d just carry on as nothing was happening.

Our government are still dithering and delaying in telling people If they’re going to be looked after through this crisis, causing thousands to continue working or leaving to spread it outside London to go home.  

Remembering the 2011 London Riots I’m just apprehensive if they’ve prepared to bring the army in if they’re serious about a lockdown. Rumours (briefed out of Whitehall) are going around like wildfire here that shops and transport are about to close causing even more stockpiling. 

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/coronavirus-uk-this-is-why-boris-johnson-is-taking-so-long-to-act/18/03/?fbclid=IwAR2e9KPz1mNus1CuaChGkpGvf9p_gDgRUPjbtiIW_9CynzcqrugUJF6MdFk

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/03/19/the-government-can-create-all-the-money-we-need-an-explanation/

Edited by Roger Red Hat
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

So where does the money come from, if there is no tax take (at least virtually nothing) and it’s being paid out hand over fist.... there must be a finite point and before that I’d expect society to break down, far too many selfish people about for it not to.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/opinion/magic-money-tree-fact-two/26/06/?fbclid=IwAR2Se7DDjbqEbjpj-P1GvUq4lNEipVOdEtaeKbOy0WQHjbFhXvmhcnxf3d8

38 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

There has been some success with various existing antivirals in mitigating the severity of the disease.

As someone who for once is “in the know” there are potential antivirals that may mitigate the worst of the disease. One has been developed for Ebola and is only just undergoing human trials. It says it can be used for “compassionate release”, which means if we are desperate we can ask the drug company for some even though it hasn’t completed trials. However there is very little if any available and the evidence so far suggests using early in the disease rather than late when the person is rally sick. The second is a combination of 2 antiretroviral drugs (for HIV) but again there are issues with this.

There are a couple of other drugs suggested, one of which is very commonly used as anti malarial but there is no evidence that they work.

As for a vaccine, if anything appears for general availability before the end of the year, I would be amazed.

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus said:

I’m in London and the shops are rammed pack with long queuing. People have gone from treating it as a joke to realising they could be in lock down with no food. The media and government are probably equally culpable for the hysteria and lack of control. If they don’t both get a grip I’m fearing civil disobedience. 

A genuine question to you, what should the Government have done or be doing and at what timelines? It seems every post is just a "have a go at the Government", when they are pretty much in a lose lose situation. The situation is changing by the hour so how can they foresee everything? They are basically following what advice the Scientists and experts are advising them to do - they do that and people will have a go, if they don't do that people will have a go.

Maybe we should have just shut the borders 2 months ago, stopped everyone outside the UK coming in which would massively have helped wouldn't it? Everyone would then be moaning that it was over the top and not feasible. It is a crazy situation that will never please everyone with whatever decisions are made.

14 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

As someone who for once is “in the know” there are potential antivirals that may mitigate the worst of the disease. One has been developed for Ebola and is only just undergoing human trials. It says it can be used for “compassionate release”, which means if we are desperate we can ask the drug company for some even though it hasn’t completed trials. However there is very little if any available and the evidence so far suggests using early in the disease rather than late when the person is rally sick. The second is a combination of 2 antiretroviral drugs (for HIV) but again there are issues with this.

There are a couple of other drugs suggested, one of which is very commonly used as anti malarial but there is no evidence that they work.

As for a vaccine, if anything appears for general availability before the end of the year, I would be amazed.

I'll pick your brain since you seem to know your stuff if you don't mind, do you think we'll be able to get back to a 'normal' way of living (schools and work open, football back etc.) before a vaccine/meds become available? I hate to think of all this crap going on for months and months.