IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

38 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Most of the train companies are doing the same, although in my part of the country at least they've doubled the number of carriages so there's no net loss in number of seats. 

I’m a train driver and this morning drove a six carriage train from Oxford to London and had a total of 21 passengers, one thing I’ve noticed as i commute in from East London is this has really highlighted social inequality (never thought I’d say that on a football forum) whilst there’s those who obviously can’t do their job at home there’s even more than can’t afford to stay at home 

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Super said:

Bad news on church weddings

In the case of weddings, it recommends that the numbers attending the ceremony should be limited to the legal minimum of five people: the priest, the bride and groom and two witnesses.

Actually I can reduce mine to four. I didn't really want the bride there anyway. She's always guaranteed to spoil my fun.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

To me that would be a hollow argument when weighed against the obvious risk of sending thousands of athletes, officials, and support staff from across the globe to mingle in 1 confined area. (and not saying for one moment that that is your view Loco)

Good point and I completely agree mate. I just remember hearing how much athletes prepare over such a long time for just this one moment.  I have complete sympathy for them and it must be so difficult, but this (unfortunately) is a bigger issue.

Also, Seb Coe should be ashamed and hang his head in shame, still waiting to make a decision. Really can't stand that bloke. Talk about self absorbed. Teeeeeewat!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Oh! I don’t know RRH,my mate was so pissed one Saturday night,he unbuttoned his waistcoat,pulled out his tie,and pissed himself,tucked his tie back inside,did his buttons up and walked on like nothing was wrong.

He was probably the scumbag that puked all over me whilst I was having a little doze on a bench opposite the Flying Fox after a stag night back in 1999. 
disgusting. 
I woke from my innocent post 10-pint nap to find diced carrots and other forms of stinking slurry over my nice jacket and shirt. 
Mrs R&W and I cursed him for the rest of the weekend. 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

I’m a train driver and this morning drove a six carriage train from Oxford to London and had a total of 21 passengers, one thing I’ve noticed as i commute in from East London is this has really highlighted social inequality (never thought I’d say that on a football forum) whilst there’s those who obviously can’t do their job at home there’s even more than can’t afford to stay at home 

Hope you managed to stop at Parson Street.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Personally don’t think they got it ‘spot on’ given the policy U-turn and the contradicting advice at times. But happy to agree to disagree.

I guess only time will tell when the dust settles - but I’ll be astonished, and you can hopefully refer back to this and gladly tell me I was wrong, if the death toll at the end of this is only 200 in the UK. 

Where does he say it's only going to be 200? he said 20,000.

Edited by pillred
Add comment

A LETTER FROM F. SCOTT FITZGERALD, QUARANTINED IN 1920 IN THE SOUTH OF FRANCE DURING THE SPANISH INFLUENZA OUTBREAK. 

Dearest Rosemary,

It was a limpid dreary day, hung as in a basket from a single dull star. I thank you for your letter. Outside, I perceive what may be a collection of fallen leaves tussling against a trash can. It rings like jazz to my ears. The streets are that empty. It seems as though the bulk of the city has retreated to their quarters, rightfully so. At this time, it seems very poignant to avoid all public spaces. Even the bars, as I told Hemingway, but to that he punched me in the stomach, to which I asked if he had washed his hands. He hadn’t. He is much the denier, that one. Why, he considers the virus to be just influenza. I’m curious of his sources.

The officials have alerted us to ensure we have a month’s worth of necessities. Zelda and I have stocked up on red wine, whiskey, rum, vermouth, absinthe, white wine, sherry, gin, and lord, if we need it, brandy. Please pray for us.

You should see the square, oh, it is terrible. I weep for the damned eventualities this future brings. The long afternoons rolling forward slowly on the ever-slick bottomless highball. Z. says it’s no excuse to drink, but I just can’t seem to steady my hand. In the distance, from my brooding perch, the shoreline is cloaked in a dull haze where I can discern an unremitting penance that has been heading this way for a long, long while. And yet, amongst the cracked cloudline of an evening’s cast, I focus on a single strain of light, calling me forth to believe in a better morrow.

Faithfully yours,

F. Scott Fitzgerald

The quality of posting during a pandemic appears to have gone downhill in the last 100 years. There is also a noticeable absence of toilet rolls, pasta and rice  from Fitzgerald's list of priority supplies! :) 

7 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Not sure if it’s me; I like the way BJ seems to write notes during the conference when people mention things.

Yes, he’s done that each day, usually when he’s getting multi-faceted questions.  Just making sure he answers each bit.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Johnson announced that we should be through this in 12 weeks.

His face when actually asked what that meant suggested he hadn't actually considered he would need actual facts to support his assertion.

Might be dawning on those in authority that lots of people had the virus before it even had a name 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Johnson announced that we should be through this in 12 weeks.

No he didn't, he said he thinks "we can turn the tide in 12 weeks" not that we should be through this in 12 weeks.

4 minutes ago, wood_red said:

No he didn't, he said he thinks "we can turn the tide in 12 weeks" not that we should be through this in 12 weeks.

Apologies for misquote.

Edit: live feed text from Guardian:

He says he wants to talk today about the timescale for this.

I do think, looking at it all, that we can turn the tide within the next 12 weeks.

Edited by One Team In Keynsham

This may sound like something someone does when they're fishing for likes on Facebook but if there's anyone in South West London that needs a hand please let me know. I live in SW12, have a car and I'm very fortunate with my health and job security. I know there's a lot of people in vulnerable positions at the moment so I would like to help where I can.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1