IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

I'm coming back to OTIB when this is over with. I'm not sure posting up pictures of people dying is very helpful to be honest. I know it is a fact, but I can't see how it is doing anybody any good to be constantly reminded of it.

Good luck to all, hope to see you all much sooner than we all fear.

This is me signing off. Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

I'm wondering whether the coronavirus outbreak could end up having a massively positive effect on the planet. Aerial heat maps (probably not the right term) have shown massive changes to the smog above cities that have been in lockdown. Add to this the fact that planes could be grounded for months, industry could grind to a halt and traffic will be massively reduced, and it could make an overwhelming difference. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

https://www.rebellionresearch.com/blog/northern-italy-wuhan-partners-for-better-or-worse

Quite an interesting article here about the Italian situation. It might already have been covered, but I never realised the extent to which northern Italy’s textile and garment industry was reliant on Chinese labour and that it had such close links with Wuhan. 

I read a similar theory but their angle was that the virus didn't originate in Wuhan but a textile making town that Italy has particularly close links with.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Another 3,000 cases overnight in Germany.

Not sure about their mortality figures.

Perhaps its more our testing figures, if we actually were able to follow the advice of 'test, test, test' the mortality rate in our country would probably be a lot lower because we'd find a lot more cases.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Perhaps its more our testing figures, if we actually were able to follow the advice of 'test, test, test' the mortality rate in our country would probably be a lot lower because we'd find a lot more cases.  

When the Government themselves suggest that there could be as many as 50,000 in the country already effected plus others who’ve had it and recovered, it makes you wonder what the true fatality rate is?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

https://www.rebellionresearch.com/blog/northern-italy-wuhan-partners-for-better-or-worse

Quite an interesting article here about the Italian situation. It might already have been covered, but I never realised the extent to which northern Italy’s textile and garment industry was reliant on Chinese labour and that it had such close links with Wuhan. 

Yep, saw that a couple of weeks ago. Basically, there is a very large Chinese population in Italy, many of their factories, particularly in the north, are owned by Chinese or have a significant workforce from China. 
Thoughts are that many of the +300,000 Chinese returned to China for their new year and then came back to Italy carrying the virus. 
Italy is one of few places (apparently) with direct flights to Wuhan, and there is a very particular concentration of Chinese in northern Italy. 
Add to this the fact that Italy has more percentage of older folks than anywhere else and you have yourself a perfect storm. 

Whilst in the U.K. we have more Chinese living here, there isn’t the dense concentration of that population in any particular area. Some northern Italian towns have over 6% of their population as Chinese. We have nothing more than around 2% in any town. 

That all said, we are clearly on a similar trajectory to Italy in terms of deaths, so that is a concern. I can only guess that this is likely due to us not closing borders earlier. Hindsight is wonderful, as they say, but I do find myself thinking we should’ve stopped all flights from China as soon as this started and we should’ve maybe even quarantined all incomings, from anywhere, for 14 days, as many countries are now doing. 
However, I can’t begin to imagine the outrage and panic if we’d closed our borders back in January. I don’t think it would’ve been very popular! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin

Seems that not all sport is shutting down, I am booked into a week long fishing festival from 28/3 along with 179 others (I guess a few won't come) - Parkdean who own the site are saying it's business as usual and if you cancel, there is no refund.  Seems they are just being greedy.  Whilst fishing is a fairly isolated sport, there would usually be gatherings in the bar/restaurant on site at night.

Parkdean.JPG

The World Snooker Championship has been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Judd Trump had been due to defend his title at the tournament, which was scheduled to take place from 18 April to 4 May.

Organisers hope to reschedule it in July or August.

2 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

I'm coming back to OTIB when this is over with. I'm not sure posting up pictures of people dying is very helpful to be honest. I know it is a fact, but I can't see how it is doing anybody any good to be constantly reminded of it.

Good luck to all, hope to see you all much sooner than we all fear.

This is me signing off. Cheers!

Given that loads of people are still blithely going about their lives like there's nothing wrong and that no harm will come to them or their loved ones, and that there are still people in the last few pages of this thread talking down what's about to come, I would say it was more people that need to see it tbh.

You might not want to look at it, but the people on the medical frontline don't have much of a choice do they.

Edited by Stortz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm wondering whether the coronavirus outbreak could end up having a massively positive effect on the planet. Aerial heat maps (probably not the right term) have shown massive changes to the smog above cities that have been in lockdown. Add to this the fact that planes could be grounded for months, industry could grind to a halt and traffic will be massively reduced, and it could make an overwhelming difference. 

The satellite images of northern Italy are astonishing compared to a month ago.

And in the canals in Venice they have fish, swans and even dolphins.

14 minutes ago, pillred said:

Just come back from Sainsburys Portishead, not a single can of beer on any shelf and most other shelves empty or nearly empty and that was at 10:30 utter madness.

I went in my local beer shop this morning as I often do on a Friday and the owner said he'd had his best week of trading in ages because people are staying in instead of going to the pub.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 1

I am now back near Bristol and living with my Mum for the next twelve weeks as she and I have underlying health conditions and need to avoid social contact, and there was no way I could shut myself away successfully living in London. Hoping I won't be here too long as BristolBristolian is a rubbish username.

I am quite frustrated at being stuck home without seeing anyone for the next twelve weeks but, being blunt, I am in many ways relieved to have a health condition and - for now at least- to be able to shut myself off from the wold. It is becoming very clear in Italy and Spain that, for many people including some without health conditions, this is something far worse than a bit of flu. People are on ventilators, hospitals are stretched and people are dying.  Businesses are going under and people are struggling to get food and basic resources.

I know some people still don't want politics brought into it but that is the same kind of thinking that would have balked at any suggestion of removing Neville Chamberlain after the disastrous start to the Second World War. You can just imagine those posters pointing out Chamberlain was being advised by his experts and we needed to trust his decision making even as we saw country after country fall into disaster across Europe. The reality is there are lessons we can learn from Italy and Spain, where things are going badly, and from countries that have got this more under control. We are not doing enough. We need to be at a point where people are only leaving the house when it is essential and all non-essential contact is avoided and the government need to be making sure this is happening.

At the moment the government are worrying too much about being liked, lacking the resolve to make decisions with anywhere near the strength of France and Germany and people may and probably will die as a result. NHS staff need to be being tested, every single case needs to be being logged and tracked and there need to be firm laws preventing people spreading this virus. And nobody should have to be making the decision between going to work to make a living or keeping themselves and the rest of society safe. Politics is not a parlour game. It is the key question of how our country is governed and how decisions are made, especially during a crisis. When we leave politics out of this, we leave out everything that matters in terms of protecting people's financial wellbeing and, more importantly, their lives

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

24 minutes ago, pillred said:

Just come back from Sainsburys Portishead, not a single can of beer on any shelf and most other shelves empty or nearly empty and that was at 10:30 utter madness.

We did our weekly shop in Morrisons in Bude earlier and it was just the opposite - there were only about five things we couldn`t get (mostly fresh meat but they said they hadn`t had their delivery yet and things like the range of bread was a bit limited), everyone was very civilized, no aggression and people were just getting on with it. I do think the restrictions on the number of certain items you can buy is having a positive effect - there were plenty of bog rolls on the shelves which were restricted to two packs per customer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

We did our weekly shop in Morrisons in Bude earlier and it was just the opposite - there were only about five things we couldn`t get (mostly fresh meat but they said they hadn`t had their delivery yet and things like the range of bread was a bit limited), everyone was very civilized, no aggression and people were just getting on with it. I do think the restrictions on the number of certain items you can buy is having a positive effect - there were plenty of bog rolls on the shelves which were restricted to two packs per customer.

Nice part of the world mate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was supposed to be in Penzance at the end of next week (business but also a short break) and could have done a bit of shopping for things we can't get here. But thats now been cancelled :(

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, pillred said:

Has anybody any theories as to why Germany has 4 times as many confirmed cases as us yet one third of the deaths? there seems to be no logic to it the percentage of cases to deaths seems to vary wildly in some countries. Switzerland for instance also has a similar number of cases to us despite having a fraction of our population, yet there death rate is 25% of ours pro rata.

I live in Switzerland. Since March 16 pretty much everything except food shops, pharmacies, banks and post offices have been closed. Some restaurants and bars and other businesses have been granted licenses to operate as takeaways or home delivery businesses. Everyone who can work from home apart from essential personnel has been doing so. I am lucky enough to be able to work from home, have no symptoms and am only leaving the house to go to the supermarket. I was there this morning and you are allocated a number on entry so that they can be sure they have under 50 customers at once. There are no shortages of anything, including lavvy roll and soap. 10 billion Francs has been allocated to prevent businesses from laying off staff. The data are obviously problematic for several reasons but today there are 4,984 reported cases, which is some way under the projection of 6,438 by this morning so hopefully that's not totally inaccurate. 

The Swiss are also doing a lot more testing than in the UK, and I imagine that the Germans are as well, so it won't just be the life-threatening cases that are identified. My guess is that, since they are not testing enough people in the UK, it's mostly these cases that are flagged, which would produce a significantly higher mortality rate.

Edited by MichaelRobartes
  • Thanks 4