IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

6 minutes ago, lager loud said:

That’s good to know. I like the Mezze and have been trying to find out which restaurants are doing takeaways. Local pubs are, but I’m not the biggest fan of pub food so will mostly try to support them by buying their take out beer. 

On another note, one consolation of this situation is you’ll have time to study the HMHB back catalogue so you can enjoy their next concert even more than the recent one.  Was that really only a fortnight ago???

I’m gonna have to get Spotify or Apple Music - assume they are on there. 
I know, 2 weeks ago. Crazy really. 
Stay well!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Another good one is to interrupt them and say `Before we get on to the accident, can I speak to you about how Jesus brings hope to the world?`

They usually hang up.

Reminds of a way a friend of mine handled Jeovah's Witnesses once. He greeted them with "thank God you're here", invited them in (which probably put them off-guard anyway), hurried them through to the kitchen, pointed at the cooker and said "there it is, how long do you need to fix it?". They made their apologies and scarpered.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

I don't have an issue with the phased approach of the move towards lockdown. But I have felt all along the government were too slow to get started and would have protected more people had they looked at what was going on and acted quickly. There was that pointless business as usual phase.

Completely agree. Everything that is happening now should have happened 2 to 3 weeks ago at least. 

We had a pre-warning from China and Italy on what was to come, and instead we pretended that nothing might happen to the UK and it should be "business as normal" . Idiotic. 

People are praising BJ for doing the right thing. But in my opinion he did the right thing but far far too late. He was reactive not proactive. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

All the ones that come home with handfuls of cash each day because they don't put hardly anything through the books you mean? 

What a silly statement. Have you ever been self employed? Do you work in construction? A lot of tradesmen have to be self employed to sign up for some crappy agency that take a percentage of their wage in order to give them work. It’s basically a continual cycle of zero hour contracts where one can be laid off at a moments notice. It’s a shitty way to live, there’s no handfuls of cash, no sick pay, no holiday pay, no respect but for a lot of skilled tradesmen that’s life. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I have no idea, in all honesty with the amount of people on here I am interested in other peoples opinions and view points. I guess many still expect to walk into the shops and be served with no idea or understanding how the items get there and no thought to these places and staff. As mentioned it's very, very selfish out there.

Limiting the amount of people in shops at a given time would be a start, one in one out queuing system. 

LImiting payments to contactless only, or have only one cash till. 

Hand gel and wipes provided on entry and exit.

Maybe shops closing for an hour in the middle of the day to allow cleaning and restocking

Staff provided with gloves/handgel/masks

Just a few suggestions. Yours?

think what you have suggested just about covers it, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference re the restocking, selfish b****rds still seem to strip the shelves in minutes, I don't know if they are rigorously enforcing this certain number of everything, in Sainsburys yesterday at 10:30 the shelves were practically empty which means people become more anxious the next time they go out and over compensate, it's a difficult problem, until you and I are confident we will get what we want when we go out unfortunately it will carry on, perhaps rationing certain items is the only way for a short while.

Edited by pillred
Add comment
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I apologise. I had not realised there was still nothing being offered to self employed people. That is appalling and needs sorting out.

Do some fact checking; there is. Some will say not enough, some will always say that.

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Just wish he'd raise tax that directly targets those who can afford it. It's now we need their wealth. 

I'm willing to pay more.

I am sure there will be plenty of time to tax us more in order to get past what will be a huge deficit in the budget; taxing people now is rather futile given that the majority in Britain are currently forced to quarantine and working from home is not viable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Last time I had one of those calls I went quiet for a moment and then softly said "it wasn't an accident". They got a bit confused and scared and rang off. 

When you get the insurance call, it's always automated so you have to say 'yes' to get through to someone in the call centre - if you don't say anything or hang up, this has minimal cost on them. What you do afterwards (to waste their time and money) is up to you. I tend to say 'Hold on a minute, someone is at the door' then keep coming back on the call, to keep them holding until they catch on they are being messed around. This has a monetary cost to them i.e. they have someone on the call getting paid an hourly rate.

As to Microsoft scammers, I've had someone on the phone for over an hour in the past, stringing them along. In the end I got bored and started the old Norman Collier mic broken routine and hung up - they rang me back because they thought that had a 'mark', had to tell them to piss off in the end. Another one that is good after you get bored is to ask if it makes a difference that you've got a Mac.

Not so much common anymore is the double salesman calls. Order everything and then when it comes to paying etc., say that you'll see what your landlords says. Tends to illicit a rather poor response.

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Last one I had, I played along for about 5 minutes, even getting passed onto the "higher power". You could virtually hear him rubbing his hands and counting the money as I laid it on really thick, saying about the emotional and physical anguish I was under. How it had caused me to lose my job, house, wife and family. Then he asked what the longterm effects would be....

"Well I lost both my arms, legs, broke my neck, back and was taken away from the scene in a few body bags."

He then had the cheek to say that I was wasting his time, to which I replied "good, less time for you to scam a vulnerable elderly person then you *horrible person you*"

Haven't had a phone call since. Shame really.

I had a accident 4 years ago which wrote off my car. 

Did I get a single phone call about my "recent accident"? 

Not on your life I didn't! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, walnutroof said:

When he was mayor of London the thing Boris was good at was surrounding himself with people who knew their stuff, and he seems to be doing the same as prime minister but obviously having to consultant with several advisors is time consuming 

Every politician surrounds themselves with advisers. What you’ve said was just spin  to justify Johnson’s laziness as London Mayor and people ate it up. He was a useless Mayor who hastened London turning into the corporate playground that has no business being described as city or any kind of civilisation. 

Johnson’s outsourcing of political decisions to a couple of advisers like Cummings has worsened this disaster in having to be told by the UN to change our strategy. I think now they seem to be slowly making the correct decisions they should stay but after this is over Johnson should stand down as prime minister.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Lots of people with eyes in their arses on here knowing all the facts and data at any given time.

If only they were running the country...:rolleyes:

Good job we all had Italy, France and Spain to look to to make considered decisions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Experts have been saying for a long time that schools/pubs should be closed. He reacted way too late.

Some "experts" have indeed, some "experts" haven't. Are you saying then that (take Boris out of it for a moment), that we as a country have poor advisers advising the Government, and all the expert advisers who aren't advising them are in a better position without having all of the facts that contribute to each decision that changes by the hour? The trouble with this virus is so many people have differing opinions (and it is usually people without all the facts, the same as all of us). You can go searching news stories and find people saying schools should have been shut a month ago, and also find people saying they shouldn't be shut now. 

It is just too easy for anyone to find the information they want to hear to suit themselves, and have a dig, and vice versa.

48 minutes ago, pillred said:

think what you have suggested just about covers it, but it doesn't seem to have made much difference re the restocking, selfish b****rds still seem to strip the shelves in minutes, I don't know if they are rigorously enforcing this certain number of everything, in Sainsburys yesterday at 10:30 the shelves were practically empty which means people become more anxious the next time they go out and over compensate, it's a difficult problem, until you and I are confident we will get what we want when we go out unfortunately it will carry on, perhaps rationing certain items is the only way for a short while.

Shelves are bare because almost everyone is stockpiling in a way. I stockpiled by buying a couple more bags of dried beans than I needed. Aside from that I’m continuing to buy enough food for a couple of meals and that’s it. 

Shelves will be bare if for instance the 50% of people who usually don’t weekly shop, start to do a large shop. It only takes thousands of people buying a couple more items to have that knock on effect. So I think in a way people are turning on each other without really understanding basic maths.

We may as well saying anyone who shopped in bulk before this pandemic are selfish bastards too. 

Edited by Odysseus

2 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Had one a couple of months back, I said... Wow! Unbelievable, how on earth did you know? It only happened 2 weeks ago! Course I lost a leg, so just as well you rang because I need money, when can you send a cheque?

"click".....

When I had one I said I’m glad they called because yes I had one. They took notes down then they asked me what injuries I sustained. I said decapitation, and could hear him tapping his computer and asked anything else, then it dawned on him and the phone went dead. 

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Surely it takes a while for measures to feed through though? 

Thinking of London specifically. We only saw people really stop coming to work last week. We're a bit behind the curve. 

One particular concern I have is rich Londoners fleeing to second homes...given London is a, maybe the, hotspot here, this risks spreading it quite big.

Stick up a police cordon on the M5 just south of Clevedon......if they speak like Arfur Daley or have Arsenal/Tottenham/ Chelsea/ Millwall/Brentford etc furry dice hanging from rear view mirror, send em back ome. Spoken in jest Mr P as they will go into self iso and its only their butlers will be mingling with others down here. 

7 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Shelves are bare because almost everyone is stockpiling in a way. I stockpiled by buying a couple more bags of dried beans than I needed. Aside from that I’m continuing to buy enough food for a couple of meals and that’s it. 

Shelves will be bare if for instance the 50% of people who usually don’t weekly shop, start to do a large shop. It only takes thousands of people buying a couple more items to have that knock on effect. So I think in a way people are turning on each other without really understanding basic maths.

We may as well saying anyone who shopped in bulk before this pandemic are selfish bastards too. 

It wouldn't be so bad if after a big shop they then didn't shop again for a while, but I suspect that a lot of people are going way beyond that otherwise the shops would have been able to catch up by now, but if my experience of the last couple of days is anything to go by that's not the case. In my local shop I have not been able to buy certain item for nearly two weeks so certain people must have a house full of stuff as it's not a big community unless people from outside the village are coming in, perhaps it will have to come down to proving where you live to be able to shop in a certain store to ensure there is enough to go round not sure what else can be done.

40 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Some "experts" have indeed, some "experts" haven't. Are you saying then that (take Boris out of it for a moment), that we as a country have poor advisers advising the Government, and all the expert advisers who aren't advising them are in a better position without having all of the facts that contribute to each decision that changes by the hour? The trouble with this virus is so many people have differing opinions (and it is usually people without all the facts, the same as all of us). You can go searching news stories and find people saying schools should have been shut a month ago, and also find people saying they shouldn't be shut now. 

It is just too easy for anyone to find the information they want to hear to suit themselves, and have a dig, and vice versa.

Well we were in a stage where the rest of the world’s experts were saying schools etc should be closed. Lots of British experts were also saying it. But the British government put its fingers in its ears and thought it knew better than everyone else. Actually that’s not fair, Trump’s America has done similar.

And then, a week too late imo, we had to shut the schools etc.

The government were listening to advice that was incorrectly modelled (using a less lethal disease) and wanted to go for herd immunity. Then they remodelled for the actual disease and realised their plan would kill hundreds of thousands.

Then they announce everything is to be shut but they’ll pay 80% of wages. But they don’t do the same for self-employed people? 

So yeah. The government has poor advisors. 

/rant

I like LH but really:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51987464

I find this 'don't worry, I"m Ok' media self-promotion inane (LH is not the only celeb who is doing this).
I feel sorry for the 'ordinary person' who is losing their job, having to continue to work because they have no choice, don't have that 'space' to isolate effectively, are vulnerable etc. - these people are invisible statistics with no face (so to speak) and, in my view, shit like this does little to reassure them.

Let's face it:
They don't influence the direction of this virus because it's invisible, it's indiscriminate and people are feeling damned vulnerable and scared.

Do something that is supportive rather than talking about yourselves FFS

rant over/

Edited by bcfcfinker

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Re self employed, thats the nature of the game. You take on the risk of business and benefit from a lower tax rate (NI) and claim expenses that no employed person could.

This isn’t a normal situation. I’d probably agree if it was just a downturn in a particular area.

But this is far different and involves the government shutting things down and telling certain people not to work. 

The self employed need protection as well as the PAYE employed.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, pillred said:

Pray enlighten us on how you would have handled it? you must have an alternative plan would love to hear it.

Where we are f@£ing up big time is nowhere near enough testing...

Not even testing NHS staff ff sake..

Not enough ppe & often it's not the gear they should be using.

The clocks ticking.

• Thanks 2