IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

3 minutes ago, wood_red said:

That is all good and well, but unless he is sat in meetings with the Government (maybe he is I don't know), then how does he know what is actual possible to do and the consequences, and actually put in place in an ever changing situation? It is just too easy for people like him to know about the disease and then criticise the measures taken without knowing the full facts and consequences of the actions that he wants imo.

You have to realise WR that the scientists the government rely on aren't necessarily there because they are the best in their field. People rise to these lofty positions for a number of reasons - political expediency and willingness to say the right thing included. Perhaps the fact that Sir Patrick Vallence is a personal friend of Dominic Cummings is coincidental.

It has to be said that the government's initial responses to this crisis were widely criticised by those who do deal with the science and modelling of pandemics. Italy should've been the warning, but it appears we were caught on the hop by the speed this thing developed just like they were and - as has been posted - our death rate seems to be mirroring theirs when they were at the same stage of the contagion.

We seem to finally be following the consensus advice as to virus containment now though, so let's be glad that has finally happened.

I think the more up in the air question now, is how you help the self-employed and gig economy workers get through this, and how these small business schemes are going to operate.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Someone is needy. Answers above. And no need to keep messaging me or for flippancy 

Who is the German company who produced 3 million in 4 days, I would like to read up on them as to why the kits (I am assuming) are not getting to the UK? I agree there should be more testing, but I still say there wasn't/isn't because it just wasn't possible.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You have to realise WR that the scientists the government rely on aren't necessarily there because they are the best in their field. People rise to these lofty positions for a number of reasons - political expediency and willingness to say the right thing included. Perhaps the fact that Sir Patrick Vallence is a personal friend of Dominic Cummings is coincidental.

It has to be said that the government's initial responses to this crisis were widely criticised by those who do deal with the science and modelling of pandemics. Italy should've been the warning, but it appears we were caught on the hop by the speed this thing developed just like they were and - as has been posted - our death rate seems to be mirroring theirs when they were at the same stage of the contagion.

We seem to finally be following the consensus advice as to virus containment now though, so let's be glad that has finally happened.

I think the more up in the air question now, is how you help the self-employed and gig economy workers get through this, and how these small business schemes are going to operate.

Many people in all employment make it up the ladder who are clueless, and in every type of employment and many are "yes" men. I just think it is easy to pick what information you want to read, post it elsewhere as fact just to poke a stick at people you obviously don't agree with in the first place. As I said earlier, you can look over the net/newspapers and find people (scientists/experts) who say the Government are doing everything right in the timelines etc.

Will leave it there as it is a pointless argument, as you see one side and I see the other.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Odysseus said:

It’s been repeatedly pointed out that the government should have closed down public spaces weeks ago when Germany and France took action. They should’ve started building makeshift hospitals months ago and increasing ventilators. I assume none of you are listening to this though? 

Months ago...... who would have done that?  What country has done that?  I am neither applauding or criticising the government and it’s advisors, there will be time for a in depth review and lessons learnt after this is dealt with,

Being a keyboard expert does no one on here any favours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Worth noting that Italy's figures really started to rocket after they hit 233. It had doubled 2 days later.

We'll see where we are on Monday. 

I'm guessing the virus will spread on an exponential basis, and death rates will rise accordingly. The problem is that still too many don't seem to be getting the message and are carrying on regardless, which will only cause the virus to spread quicker and further.

Saw a post on local market place where someone had driven through Hunstanton on the norfolk coast seeing cars parked everywhere with people having taken a trip to the coast, with balconies outside fish and chip shops packed and families with children playing on a large park. Also saw a BBC report saying that they estimated a hundred thousand had packed seaside resorts.

I am sure there are many convinced that the virus will only affect other people. Sadly, when they themselves catch it they will guarantee it will affect other people! :( 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Olé said:

Latest FT graph is out tonight "UK in real trouble here" we'll be on lock down by Tuesday

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1241465632589254656?s=21

726A1562-6E71-4488-97F9-0A64496A369B.thumb.jpeg.3dff5dde454275e7e75a4e69ca91d16e.jpeg

Not realistic though is it. That graph shows us following in a straight line from day 1 to now. No other country has done that. Now if the gaps on the graph were equally spaced it would really scare people. 

7 minutes ago, James54De said:

Not realistic though is it. That graph shows us following in a straight line from day 1 to now. No other country has done that. Now if the gaps on the graph were equally spaced it would really scare people. 

Any graph with China on it for comparison is not realistic; they've BS'd their figures from day one.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

Irrespective of the different spaced scale and what happens next, looking at our 233....that’s second to Spain alone.  We shouldn’t be proud of that.

Without getting political, our Government have done some good things, but if we were benefiting from learning from other countries ahead of us, we should be doing better imho.

Maybe we are about to try shit-scaring the country back into their homes.  If we are, we need to be tougher, because too many are ignoring the “advice”.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Just Read this and copied and pasted it 

Good read from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University

Not really feeling sick and do not want to be..but if you are feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..

H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.

Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”

This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.

And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..

That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not needed right now.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks...

A great post and a really interesting read and thanks for sharing 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Irrespective of the different spaced scale and what happens next, looking at our 233....that’s second to Spain alone.  We shouldn’t be proud of that.

Without getting political, our Government have done some good things, but if we were benefiting from learning from other countries ahead of us, we should be doing better imho.

Maybe we are about to try shit-scaring the country back into their homes.  If we are, we need to be tougher, because too many are ignoring the “advice”.

Something has to change as this morning there were approximately 500 shoppers outside the Asda Walmart in Swindon at opening time and no doubts the same in every Town & City across the UK and not one was two metres apart and a teen the moment did they care as food was their priority. Carry on like this and potentially we could overtake Italy 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Something has to change as this morning there were approximately 500 shoppers outside the Asda Walmart in Swindon at opening time and no doubts the same in every Town & City across the UK and not one was two metres apart and a teen the moment did they care as food was their priority. Carry on like this and potentially we could overtake Italy 

I'll be at "Big Tesco", Ocotal Way tomorrow Shaun. I havent seen anything apart from Easter Eggs and Fosters on sale for a week. Its ridiculous.....and now I need food

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, James54De said:

As this chap says;

Not sure just straightlining UK trend from first point to last & then forward is correct. UK is following an elliptical curve on the log chart i.e. size of absolute number of new cases is increasing daily but the % change is trending downward, suggesting UK curve will level off.

1 hour ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Just watched Ant and Decs takeaway with no audience. And got thinking my wife watches soaps (I do like Emmerdale probably cause I don’t like to far from the Forest if Dean so it’s like real life for me) and things like X factor and the sort. Now some will say this is a good thing, but these are obviously going to have trouble filming. So it won’t be long till we are in a time when it’s only repeats on the TV. 

I think you might have alzheimer's. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I'll be at "Big Tesco", Ocotal Way tomorrow Shaun. I havent seen anything apart from Easter Eggs and Fosters on sale for a week. Its ridiculous.....and now I need food

That Tescos was nearly as bad this morning as shoppers were outside at 05.40!

Still no rice, pasta, frozen Fish, baked beans or porridge oats today and we tried three separate supermarks so hope you have more luck tomorrow and if its beer you're after even that had been ransacked......but there were toilet rolls?

Edited by Shaun Taylor

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That Tescos was nearly as bad this morning as shoppers were outside at 05.40!

Still no rice, pasta, frozen Fish, baked beans or porridge oats today and we tried three separate supermarks so hope you have more luck tomorrow and if its beer you're after even that had been ransacked......but there were toilet rolls?

I have sufficient Rice, Pasta, beans etc but I do need fresh meat and veg (or Frozen). I'm not about to get fussy about it

11 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Months ago...... who would have done that?  What country has done that?  I am neither applauding or criticising the government and it’s advisors, there will be time for a in depth review and lessons learnt after this is dealt with,

Being a keyboard expert does no one on here any favours.

Any country that has had it’s healthcare system running at maximum capacity for years would have done this at the sight of a global pandemic. Germany has 3 times the amount of ICU beds yet had started building a hospital in Berlin. 

Why do I get the feeling this is still not being taken seriously in the uk. 

Pictures today of the beaches in Cornwall and Devon packed. People rushing out to get a last pint in the pub last night..... embarrassing. 

I'm so angry. Pissed off that as a postman my employer must think I'm immune to this disease just so I can deliver a ******* Domino's pizza advert. 

Well had enough. And everyone needs to wake up quickly. 

• Like 4

I’m not surprised in the slightest. We are the worst nation in the world for fuckwittery. I think it's a depressingly low proportion of our general public that aren’t complete dicks.

All these panic buyers, ‘blokes’ that can’t avoid a pint and bog roll hoarders are the same knobs that jump up before the captains turned off the seatbelt sign after landing.

Natural selection. Give it 10 days.

The rest of you stay indoors

• Like 12

• Admin
14 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

Any country that has had it’s healthcare system running at maximum capacity for years would have done this at the sight of a global pandemic. Germany has 3 times the amount of ICU beds yet had started building a hospital in Berlin. 

Too late and if we had double or treble the capacity, we’d still get overwhelmed.  No matter who we had in government for the last 20 years, we would still be under prepared for this.

Political point scoring and claiming to know more than the scientific advisors is just postulating on a forum at this time.

We are in the shit, we would have been in the shit if Labour had won the election, if the Lib Dem’s or anyone else had won it.  When you see the amounts of people today at the beach, Snowdonia and many other places, maybe nature is right to have a clear out......

• Like 7
  • Flames 1