IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Donate a % of player wages to support non-playing staff

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Surely more can be done in extraordinary times?

Maybe some of those things are happening ?

But some may not even be necessary or practical due to lock down.

8 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

It does seem players are being paid in full. Inaction from players and club is beginning to leave a bad taste tbh. Other clubs are doing more for their communities. We have a rich owner with proud Bristolian heritage, and players earning more in a month than many of the non-playing staff or local residents will earn in a year.

Could it be possible to:

- Make a donation to local hospices, which are now in dire financial straits just as they could play a major role particularly if there is a trend for some towards palliation vs treatment

- Use the Gate as a community hub for storage and distribution of food aid or medical supplies

- Retain commercial catering supply chains and offer meals to those in close proximity 

Lots of people - I would suggest most - are receiving their full wages.  NHS staff, council staff, civil servants, MPs. pretty much every office worker.

Footballers will be training every day; just not playing games.  Isn't this just another swipe at the level of their wages?

For which you should blame club owners for sanctioning those wages.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Lots of people - I would suggest most - are receiving their full wages.  NHS staff, council staff, civil servants, MPs. pretty much every office worker.

Footballers will be training every day; just not playing games.  Isn't this just another swipe at the level of their wages?

For which you should blame club owners for sanctioning those wages.

No swipe at anyone, just suggesting that there is an opportunity to help out at an acute time of need. 

Many people are getting their full wage, many won’t be. A good objective metric for this being huge increase in applications for Universal Credit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

No swipe at anyone, just suggesting that there is an opportunity to help out at an acute time of need. 

Many people are getting their full wage, many won’t be. A good objective metric for this being huge increase in applications for Universal Credit.

Fair enough.

But as with anything similar it is ten times better if people voluntarily choose to do it rather than being pressured to do so.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm an office worker. Doing my job everyday as normal (just from home) and being paid for it accordingly. I am not just doing half-arsed training courses day in day out, keeping myself vaguely ready to start working again in a few months time.

That's effectively what footballers are doing at them moment. Professional footballers job is to play competitive matches in front of paying fans. That's what brings in the money that pays their wages. All sorts of workers have to do training in order to perform their actual jobs. Some are still able to do so, others (including footballers) are not.

19 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I'm an office worker. Doing my job everyday as normal (just from home) and being paid for it accordingly. I am not just doing half-arsed training courses day in day out, keeping myself vaguely ready to start working again in a few months time.

That's effectively what footballers are doing at them moment. Professional footballers job is to play competitive matches in front of paying fans. That's what brings in the money that pays their wages. All sorts of workers have to do training in order to perform their actual jobs. Some are still able to do so, others (including footballers) are not.

They are of course being paid for that 90 minutes of performance but they are also doing ?20 hours of training each week to prepare for that.

As long as they are training they are fulfilling 90% of their contract and everything within their control.  They should be paid.

I wasn't knocking people who are working from home; I once did it for six months and hated it.  It's all the grind of office work without any of the fun and banter.  I was so depressed each Monday at 9am when I trudged up the stairs to my office to start yet another tedious tedious week.

The only people who think that working from home is a cross between a great skive and a party are those who have never done it.

5 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

They are of course being paid for that 90 minutes of performance but they are also doing ?20 hours of training each week to prepare for that.

As long as they are training they are fulfilling 90% of their contract and everything within their control.  They should be paid.

I wasn't knocking people who are working from home; I once did it for six months and hated it.  It's all the grind of office work without any of the fun and banter.  I was so depressed each Monday at 9am when I trudged up the stairs to my office to start yet another tedious tedious week.

The only people who think that working from home is a cross between a great skive and a party are those who have never done it.

I agree re working from home. The only benefit is the lack of a commute, the rest just makes the actual working day harder. But if I couldn't do the vital part of my job that brings the money in I'd be furloughed on 80% pay, max £2,500 pm. Why are footballers different?

24 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Footballers are an easy target.

Can be an easy target agreed, but as a nation it's debatable as to whether we're truly 'all in it together'. 

The latest reports are football won't resume until July...thats a massive ******* burden for the clubs if so. Massive.

Barcelona players are taking cuts. Juventus players are taking cuts. Maybe deferrals I'm unsure but it's interesting

OTOH there's certainly no uniform pattern. Not even in the same sporting group (see rugby cut/deferral vs football wages as usual).

56 minutes ago, Nomad said:

It is. Well the Sports bar at least is being used for storage and distribution of food and clothes for the homeless.

Any link to that, or source? 

Only it's a great story- in these troubled times even more so.

The AMEX story similar, though you didn't mention it IIRC. Googled it but nothing much.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Any link to that, or source? 

Only it's a great story- in these troubled times even more so.

The AMEX story similar, though you didn't mention it IIRC. Googled it but nothing much.

No link mate. Walk through every day and briefly stopped to chat to security guard - safe distance of course. You could see the supplies ready for distribution.  No idea who is organising. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

No link mate. Walk through every day and briefly stopped to chat to security guard - safe distance of course. You could see the supplies ready for distribution.  No idea who is organising. 

That's great to hear. 

Said it before (not thinking of any club in particular), football as an industry could do a decent amount here.

Time of national emergency, pandemic- we all have a part to play IMO.

I see Brighton are giving 1,000 free tickets to NHS workers once this gets going. Bournemouth have joined them with the same. ? to both.

They're hoping clubs will join them with the target of 100,000...interesting to see how many clubs will join that.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hare Island said:

Could it be possible to:

How do you know what people are and aren’t doing/giving? It doesn’t always have to be made public 

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

How do you know what people are and aren’t doing/giving? It doesn’t always have to be made public 

While this is true, it's more applicable to individual donations IMO. 

At a club level, or maybe players deferring wages, this tends to get into the media one way or another.

Can be impressive PR for a club for one. Secondly, it just has a way of finding its way out into the news- football is a leaky industry!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree.

Tim Whatshisface from 'Spoons has been getting grief for ages, Brexit, not paying staff and not paying suppliers.

Pretty sure that despite the 'outrage' of today, his pubs will be full the moment social distancing is over.

Ancelotti thinks football is set for a big adjustment. Time will tell I suppose.

Still if PR doesn't matter then the club should make their position widely known, dissemination of it and explain and defend position.

Goes for clubs in general BTW.

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don’t know about the players at the club but staff earning less than a certain (low) salary are on 80% furlough with SL making up the rest. People over this amount are on the 80%. 

So from that I deduce that that players are not being paid in full. 

Okay thanks, that makes more sense. Indeed makes sense.

Seems strange that no official announcement or media leaks unlike other clubs but that follows- interesting story killed.

Seems a little incongruous though, as set against other clubs.

12 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Apologies if this has been raised already but is / could the club be doing something like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/29/home-park-nhs-find-new-ground-with-plymouth-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Seeing as Bristol sport started charging the blood donation service too much to use the car park so they had to go elsewhere, i wouldn’t put it past them saying no this time. 

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, lenred said:

Is that true? 

Unfortunately it is true, the “rent” Bristol sport was charging was being put up too much so they have had to go elsewhere. 

I imagine it was a couple of years back now. 

Sorry I should had said it wasn’t the car park but the use of the lounges etc. I was surprised Bristol sport charged at all let alone increased it.

Edited by S25loyal
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, S25loyal said:

Unfortunately it is true, the “rent” Bristol sport was charging was being put up too much so they have had to go elsewhere. 

I imagine it was a couple of years back now. 

Sorry I should had said it wasn’t the car park but the use of the lounges etc. I was surprised Bristol sport charged at all let alone increased it.

Unbelievable. Can’t believe they’d charge anything at all for such a vital not for profit service like you say, let alone hike the prices. Sad times Bristol Sport.  

• Confused 1