IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gate-offers-stadium-nhs-4002268

Fair play. Glad to see we are offering AG and the space/facilities in whatever capacity it may be required. 

It's good to hear and it's definitely credit worthy. However on the other hand arguably it's no more than should be expected IMO, in these times.

Definitely credit where it is due though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I assume Leeds players will be getting a nice lump sum at some time in the future then ?

Or maybe paid back with monthly increments when this is over ?

Hardly an altruistic gesture if this is the case.

Well it is and it isn't. 

It is in that ordinary staff will still be getting paid in full, and it isn't as they'll receive it all eventually.

A bit that stands out to me there is that casual staff will according to one article anyway be getting paid in full partly because of this. How you'd work it, God knows...

...Wouldn't expect Thatcherite knobhead types like certain posters to appreciate it though. Two or three in particular.

PS I mentioned a political term. In the subthread it must go.

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course the stadium staff (majority) will be Furloughed. The stadium is shut - whereas players will be “working from home” keeping fitness levels up. 

I'd argue that training is a % and playing games is a %. Hence you cut salary or defer as a proportion of the latter.

Dont take my word for it though, google Barcelona and their salary cuts. Methodology not dissimilar.

As for staff furlough, fair enough but will some not be working from home? Some roles certainly don't allow for it granted.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for staff furlough, fair enough but will some not be working from home?

If government advice is for anyone furloughed to not work then you'd assume not ?‍♂️ I'd presume if you're working from home while furloughed you're not entitled to the 80% as you're employer should be paying you because you're working. Obviously same may claim it and still work but I can't imagine the govt taking kindly to it if they found out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don’t think many players will find sympathy from many people if they take clubs to court to get paid their full salary should they be asked to take a cut.  They get paid well, and fair play to them, but they should not be exempt from sacrifice in times of crisis.

However the problem lies in the contracts not foreseeing an unforeseen event like this, although interestingly in Scotland the contracts have a clause should the season be suspended.  I can see all contracts in the future having a clause should the season be suspended.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I don’t think many players will find sympathy from many people if they take clubs to court to get paid their full salary should they be asked to take a cut.  They get paid well, and fair play to them, but they should not be exempt from sacrifice in times of crisis.

However the problem lies in the contracts not foreseeing an unforeseen event like this, although interestingly in Scotland the contracts have a clause should the season be suspended.  I can see all contracts in the future having a clause should the season be suspended.

I agree it wouldn't be a great idea but judging by some on here, they seem to think it all fine and dandy.

Scottish law. Appears to have it. Spanish or maybe Catalan law, Barcelona have cut wages with the help of this. French law too- see Nimes 16% of wages. All piecemeal of course.

58 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Force Majeure is in every contract I have ever signed, at a minimum, and there have been more than a couple.. In theoretical terms if FM prevents performance under a contract it could be used as a negotiation tool at a minimum, but that would work both ways and a lot of players could then say **** it and become free agants, which would again in theory become our worst nightmare. Problem for them is no other club would trust them, this thing could be back in October.

I would be amazed if this was the only get out for either party if a season were to be suspended/finished, but hey we once gave a ten year contract to a 29 year old (I Pray the clubs attorney’s and contracts people are better than that) Hopefully sense prevails and players and agents don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg at all our clubs.

Side note SL would not stand for shenanigans from greedy players under these circumstances. This is where we should all be thankful for The Lansdown family!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd argue that training is a % and playing games is a %. Hence you cut salary or defer as a proportion of the latter.

Dont take my word for it though, google Barcelona and their salary cuts. Methodology not dissimilar.

As for staff furlough, fair enough but will some not be working from home? Some roles certainly don't allow for it granted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1245019470327877634

Think Reading and Leyton Orient also involved. Six clubs, will it hit the target of 100 clubs?

The aim/campaign is for 100 clubs to donate 1,000 tickets each to NHS workers once all this has passed.

I would like to see us give out all hospitality packages to NHS staff for our first game back at home.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Super said:

I would like to see us give out all hospitality packages to NHS staff for our first game back at home.

I'm sure that will happen.

But it won't stop some slagging them off for not informing everyone of their intentions.

• Hmmm 1

10 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

£500 a week if they take a cut in wages welcome to what is happening to a lot of people not everyone can work from home and are on full pay they are the lucky ones 

Aren’t the “lucky” ones the ones that can’t and have been sent home to do naff all, on at least 80% of their wages, until the world gets back to normal and then they have their jobs safely waiting for them to return too..? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Just out of curiosity I read on here that the top city earner is on 35K per week! Just wondering what an earth you spend that much on and whilst sat at home in semi isolation whether guilt ever sets in when thousands if not more are struggling financially 

Why should they feel guilty for having committed their lives to excelling in a well paid career..? 

Are thousands REALLY struggling financially..?!

Yes, some will be - but that’s always the case.
Most, I’d suggest, have been taken care of by the governments unprecedented support packages, or are still working on full pay (that’s not being pro Tory! I’m not pro either party, but I think they’ve done well in relating most peoples financial worries) 

I don’t get this backlash on footballers getting their wages. Why shouldn’t they..?! 

9 hours ago, Robin Wood said:

No im not bitter i was only trying to say that some people will not be affected where as others will have little income 

Like who..? 
A 20% wage drop for (some) furlough workers - with very little to spend money on at present..? 
I’m struggling to think of many that will be struggling as a result of this, who don’t generally anyway..?

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Why should they feel guilty for having committed their lives to excelling in a well paid career..? 

Are thousands REALLY struggling financially..?!

Yes, some will be - but that’s always the case.
Most, I’d suggest, have been taken care of by the governments unprecedented support packages, or are still working on full pay (that’s not being pro Tory! I’m not pro either party, but I think they’ve done well in relating most peoples financial worries) 

I don’t get this backlash on footballers getting their wages. Why shouldn’t they..?! 

I would say country wide yes thousands would be struggling...dont forget no payments for self employed until June at the earliest...I have family members that have gone from earning a decent living to earning £94 a week, still have to pay utility bills etc and at the moment no rent holiday, my income has gone down by 50% at least in the last week, i will be due some government money but not until June at the earliest..so I would say yes thousands will be struggling right now !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks. Interesting and informative thread that. 

The line about the Treasury considering playing but not training to be work. 

Can't work out if that means that wage cuts/deferral should be more or less justifiable.

:dunno:

More. The argument was that because players would have been given training programmes to do at home it could be considered working. In turn this would have meant that the government furlough scheme wouldn’t have applied because they’d be seen to be working from home. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, James54De said:

More. The argument was that because players would have been given training programmes to do at home it could be considered working. In turn this would have meant that the government furlough scheme wouldn’t have applied because they’d be seen to be working from home. 

Thanks.

That makes sense, broadly agree with your point. My view is that their salary is x percent playing, y percent training.

Cut or defer by x.