IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If they really wanted to show solidarity they wouldn't take 500k a week contracts.

I did (some time back) ask questions on here of the club as to why they paid minimum wage and not living wage.

But there was no cry then of all being in this together or solidarity.

I think the solidarity thing (not aimed at you) is a myth tbh. All in it together? Wishful thinking. Would be nice if those who earned a large amount were the first to take a hit but there we go.

Would be interested to see your posts on that. Was it during Bristol Sport era? Always assumed we paid Living wage or something near.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the solidarity thing (not aimed at you) is a myth tbh. All in it together? Wishful thinking. Would be nice if those who earned a large amount were the first to take a hit but there we go.

Would be interested to see your posts on that. Was it during Bristol Sport era? Always assumed we paid Living wage or something near.

It was around the time when a list of clubs who pay the living wage was published (I think Luton were one of them). 

Sure Mark Kelly got involved in the conversation, can't remember the exact details now.

Why are we having a go at footballers, why not chief executives, BBC stars, Bank bosses, Tennis Players, golfers, F1 drivers, football club chairman.

They all get paid a fortune but aren’t being mentioned in this conversation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52120578

This article explains I think the problems club face, is it the players or the PFA. 

Deferrals are good but still get the money at a later date, so not exactly missing out.

• Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Why are we having a go at footballers, why not chief executives, BBC stars, Bank bosses, Tennis Players, golfers, F1 drivers, football club chairman.

This article explains I think the problems club face, is it the players or the PFA. 

Deferrals are good but still get the money at a later date, so not exactly missing out.

Bankers may well be taking a hit. Something last night about non payment of dividends and cuts in cash bonuses due to this crisis.

Levy is taking a 20% cut isn't he. It's all piecemeal though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bankers will be taking a hit. Something last night about non payment of dividends and bonuses due to this crisis.

Still not taking a pay cut though. Isn’t it shareholders who miss out, me and you if we have shares. This way banks can keep money back. So they aren’t exactly losing out we are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52114410

7 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Still not taking a pay cut though. Isn’t it shareholders who miss out, me and you if we have shares. This way banks can keep money back. So they aren’t exactly losing out we are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52114410

Cash bonuses can form a decent chunk of remuneration. Dividends decision sees shareholders taking a hit, but surely that maybe applicable to bonuses paid in the form of shares too?

Why football? Probably as it's such a popular and well known industry.

That's fine though, we all have different political views. Solidarity is a concept lacking in modern UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Just listening to LJ on TALKSPORT talking about how he keeps in touch with the players . No  mention of potential cuts to players salaries and no mention of casual staff being laid off. More to do with players ringing up fans who are over 70  who have birthdays during this time and spending 20 minutes or so chatting to them, which I thought was a nice touch. 

It's a nice touch agreed. 

As for the other stuff, think I'll reserve judgement for a bit. Probably for the best. Circular arguments never get anyway, think I'll quit that subject.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cash bonuses can form a decent chunk of remuneration. Dividends decision sees shareholders taking a hit, but surely that maybe applicable to bonuses paid in the form of shares too?

Why football? Probably as it's such a popular and well known industry.

That's fine though, we all have different political views. Solidarity is a concept lacking in modern UK.

But bankers haven’t accepted to lose there cash bonus yet, just not pay out on the dividends. 

Why football? mentioned plenty of other popular sports; jobs and you ignore them and go on about football. 

With the way your answering responding it seems you blame football for being inconsiderate not in to together, but other people are ok to keep there money for they aren’t part of a popular sport. If 3 billionaires decided to give 10% of there wealth to the government and said hand out this to help it would be a big help to society, more than a few £10K wage deferrals.

If you want solidarity then look at other people apart from footballers and how do you know what my political views are. I asked you a simple question which you haven’t answered and start presuming my political view is of a certain way.

• Hmmm 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Because this is the sport thread, head over to the political thread to widen it out.

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Because funnily enough we are Bristol City fans, on a football forum.. that is why shock horror we are discussing football players wages! 

I would have the EXACT same view of the Mclaren F1 team if they were financially bending over backwards to continue to pay Hamilton’s top whack wages but were only prepared to pay their mechanics 80% of their wage. 

Stan Collymore has hit the nail on the head for me. It is morally disgusting, and even more disgusting that individuals seem ready to defend the situation.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

One point I will say, which might come as a surprise given my posts in recent days.

It is of course possible that said staff will be getting their 20% topup by the club- still it doesn't sit well in some other ways, ie rich clubs (thinking Tottenham especially) furloughing normally or loow paid but paying full whack for players.

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's an indicator, are we all in it together as a society? No, we are not. If not football tickets for key workers, why not have clubs show flexibility on ticket deadlines etc.

Burnley players donated to a foodbank- some players have a wider sense of things, many do not... 

Nothing personal to you and your commission, but it's about time with Private Health. Do they train doctors and nurses?

Heard a statement that BUPA have trained zilch. So no, I'm not a fan of the sector as a whole. 

That's disingenuous. Most loss making industries and even profitable ones have made major cutbacks. Emergency cutbacks. Yet the biggest cost in football must be honoured at all costs.

Some football have too- one article I read that fan pressure played a role in Barca salary cut, I assume Barcelona as a city is suffering quite heavily with this virus. Leeds I applaud,  deferral or not they did it for the greater good, much like your industry.

Saw an article that suggested Deal between Government and Private Health sector was £2.3m per day at cost. Fine, but in Spain it was requisitioned. I think paying at cost is reasonably fair BTW but then again in a global pandemic...

How.many retail staff have been laid off? % wise? Greater % than highly paid footballers I'd suggest. 

Saw on the news tonight that bank dividends may not be paid due to Coronavirus. Plus, cash bonuses to bank executives may also not be paid.

I'd turn it on its head. Why should football be an exception here? 

I'm sure certain journos would be interested in it, the differentials here, at this club. Bristol Sport.

Football has long had an imbalance. Hope this brings in some good changes.

Strange chap? Get ****** in one respect.

@Bristol Rob

Okay not maybe then. Free tickets as opposed to corporate hospitality. Free tickets at an average ticket price, 1,000 of these might cost £30-35k. Applications online surely now, the freshly unemployed- vast bulk would be.

NHS is the best thing about this country full stop IMO. Full stop.

Your impression of the private medical industry is very negative and very false one.

In taxes, the private medical industry pulls in nearly £2 billion per annum for the treasury.  The annual NHS budget is roughly £135 billion.  The private sector treats around 10% of population.  Yet they do this on a cost of less than 4% of the equivalent NHS budget.  It's hugely efficient and it shields the NHS from another 10% of cases, many of which are very expensive cases to treat.

Private healthcare helps many people to live longer.  Take cancer for example.  Many of the drugs and therapies which the private industry fund are way too expensive for the NHS.  If you have cancer, and are privately treated, you'll be entitled to things such as proton beam therapy, very rarely available on the NHS.  Some cancer drugs cost £100,000 per year per patient - the NHS simply couldn't afford that, even if we threw all the money we possibly could at it.  The private sector does a good job of keeping people alive and shielding the NHS from a huge number of treatments.  If the private industry was closed tomorrow, the NHS would lose around £2 billion funding, and yet would need to increase it's budget exponentially to cover the extra treatment it would need to provide - it would not be affordable - unless you wanted everyone to pay another 40% on their tax rate.  Quite simply, more people would die, because of lack of funding.

Anyway, back to your initial argument - you want football clubs to give free tickets to thousands of people.  I still don't get that.  It's not just the NHS staff who are keeping this country going at the moment.  Hats off to them, for sure, they deserve respect, but so does every other worker in this country who is keeping things moving.  My Asda delivery driver deserves a ticket too.  As does the person who packed the shopping in the supermarket, as does my postie, as do the binmen, the list can (and does) go on.  I don't know why you want to single out NHS staff (only a proportion of which will be actually dealing with covid patients).

To your final line.  Yes, the NHS is a wonderful thing.  But I needs the private medical industry too. Don't be so dismissive and one-eyed.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/brentford-stars-agree-wage-cuts-21795661

:clap: Brentford.

Those who move first or early are always worthy of greater praise tbh. It'd appear to be a deferral granted, but it helps a club in their hour of need. The article doesn't make it clear though if it's a cut or deferral.

So it's a qualified clap but at least they've done it. Credit to their players...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Also see.

@Nbafc Do you think that debate will be on catchup? Shall look forward to listening if so.

Found on Twitter- Simon Jordan nails it!

Should hope its on catchup but im never too sure!

Really like listening to Simon Jordan, but haven't listened to him since this began, will endeavour to as have plenty of time.

But Warburton came across so, so well to my ears. I'd be comfortable with someone like that in a more influential position than QPR manager.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

Really like listening to Simon Jordan, but haven't listened to him since this began, will endeavour to as have plenty of time.

But Warburton came across so, so well to my ears. I'd be comfortable with someone like that in a more influential position than QPR manager.

Not always a fan of Simon Jordon, but have listened to him since this begun (and he has been on TALKSPORT a lot lately) well thought out opinion and rationale . 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

He was a very successful stock market trader before he came back into football and you don`t get to make your fortune from that unless you`ve got your head screwed on.

• Like 2

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/the-real-cost-of-the-crisis/178652?aff=1197317997&dcmp=SL_TWITTER_finance_0204

Interesting link to a related article too, suggests that a variety of broadcasters have started withholding payments to Ligue 1 during the suspension. No idea of their terms etc.

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/ligue-1-to-lose-tv-rights-payment/178839

Would make sense as if people cancel subscriptions then there might be a knockon effect with payments to clubs...