IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

On 01/04/2020 at 11:46, E.G.Red said:

Just listening to LJ on TALKSPORT talking about how he keeps in touch with the players . No  mention of potential cuts to players salaries and no mention of casual staff being laid off. More to do with players ringing up fans who are over 70  who have birthdays during this time and spending 20 minutes or so chatting to them, which I thought was a nice touch. 

These touches are nice but seen an interesting article on the subject too. Not specifically about us but in general- think we get a brief mention though, albeit not by club.

https://www.football365.com/news/football-charity-coronavirus-opinion

As nice as some of these stories are and as heartening as it is to hear of managers calling elderly season-ticket holders at home and first-team players phoning vulnerable people for a chat, shouldn’t that be standard behaviour?

Vague similarity between the two. Not specifically about us of course, more about the industry and citing examples.

So it's good, no doubt- but anything to get too excited about?

Wonder what clubs do with food that will expire with no matchday? Dunno where you'd sell it. :dunno:

Probably more about the PL that article tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

These touches are nice but seen an interesting article on the subject too. Not specifically about us but in general- think we get a brief mention though, albeit not by club.

https://www.football365.com/news/football-charity-coronavirus-opinion

Vague similarity between the two. Not specifically about us of course, more about the industry and citing examples.

So it's good, no doubt- but anything to get too excited about?

Wonder what clubs do with food that will expire with no matchday? Dunno where you'd sell it. :dunno:

A lot of clubs have donated the food to food banks, and the homeless

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1645571

5 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

A lot of clubs have donated the food to food banks, and the homeless

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1645571

Yep, that's good to hear- article is a good analysis of clubs and that link is in the article itself but it all helps.

Good PR payoff too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 01/04/2020 at 17:25, Harry said:

Your impression of the private medical industry is very negative and very false one.

In taxes, the private medical industry pulls in nearly £2 billion per annum for the treasury.  The annual NHS budget is roughly £135 billion.  The private sector treats around 10% of population.  Yet they do this on a cost of less than 4% of the equivalent NHS budget.  It's hugely efficient and it shields the NHS from another 10% of cases, many of which are very expensive cases to treat.

Private healthcare helps many people to live longer.  Take cancer for example.  Many of the drugs and therapies which the private industry fund are way too expensive for the NHS.  If you have cancer, and are privately treated, you'll be entitled to things such as proton beam therapy, very rarely available on the NHS.  Some cancer drugs cost £100,000 per year per patient - the NHS simply couldn't afford that, even if we threw all the money we possibly could at it.  The private sector does a good job of keeping people alive and shielding the NHS from a huge number of treatments.  If the private industry was closed tomorrow, the NHS would lose around £2 billion funding, and yet would need to increase it's budget exponentially to cover the extra treatment it would need to provide - it would not be affordable - unless you wanted everyone to pay another 40% on their tax rate.  Quite simply, more people would die, because of lack of funding..... 

To your final line.  Yes, the NHS is a wonderful thing.  But I needs the private medical industry too. Don't be so dismissive and one-eyed.

If you don't mind me butting in I would say you are being a bit one-eyed too. Private companies do have contracts to treat NHS patients at the same cost as would be paid to an nhs provider. What they then do is set various criteria to filter out any complicated or risky patients e.g. those with co-morbidities or high BMI. 

In effect they cherry pick those they can do cost efficiently and leave the complicated cases to the NHS. Which undoubtedly makes them look efficient but is misleading. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I personally think that this season must be finished, whenever that may be, we are too far into this season just to scrap it, imagine how we would feel if City were clear at the top of the league and it was cancelled, the remaining games of this season could be finished anytime over the next 18 months and the next season should start after the Euros in 2021.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weepywall said:

I personally think that this season must be finished, whenever that may be, we are too far into this season just to scrap it, imagine how we would feel if City were clear at the top of the league and it was cancelled, the remaining games of this season could be finished anytime over the next 18 months and the next season should start after the Euros in 2021.

I completely agree, but the season will always be tarnished. 

Say we beat Preston to 6th place, with a fit and firing Afobe playing in each of our remaining games. There would always be the claim that we'd benefitted from a pandemic. Some clubs would benefit from the extended break more than others.

More controversial than that will be the contract situation. Imagine a team become weakened by losing a loanee before the season resumes, or even an out of contract first teamer. Could departing players resume the season elsewhere?

I'm guessing there will be an agreement made by clubs to adhere to a particular code of conduct which safeguards the status quo until the season has been completed, but who knows.

Another curiosity is that there were probably managers out there on the verge of the sack, who have had the most dramatic stay of execution you could imagine. 

For tons of reasons, this season, if it finishes, will be a complete anomaly. Even Liverpool's almost perfect season will forever be caveated by the pandemic.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2020 at 12:33, Mr Popodopolous said:

Many people in the country will be furloughed. Hence down 20%.

Unfair of me to question players character tbh. It's still early days in the crisis after all. 

If it’s based on the Government offer it only covers £29k, if you’re on anything over that it’s going to be a massive hit.

Edited by RumRed

I'm not in favour of finishing the season at any cost,the powers that be should set a date say 15th June and if crisis is  still continuing expunge all results from the 19/20 season in effect cancelling it .

To try and complete at any price will impact severely the following season so in my mind make a big decision now and look forward to the new season.

• Like 2

Just accept that we won’t complete this season until either late summer or the autumn at earliest. And even then it may be played behind closed doors.

Whatever happens, I predict that there will be no League Cup or EFL trophy next season as the priority will be to get through the league fixtures. And even then the 20/21 season may only be half the length of a normal season, so that we only play each team once.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Just accept that we won’t complete this season until either late summer or the autumn at earliest. And even then it may be played behind closed doors.

Whatever happens, I predict that there will be no League Cup or EFL trophy next season as the priority will be to get through the league fixtures. And even then the 20/21 season may only be half the length of a normal season, so that we only play each team once.

I think you are being unnecessarily pessimistic but we will have to wait and see, can't see a reason why we wont be back to normal in 6 months at the latest. (League wise at least) not so sure about some of the cup competitions if some catching up has to be done.

Edited by pillred
Add comment

Just had this from an ex military colleague of mine:

I'll tell you a tale, that's been recently written,
Of a powerful army, so Great it saved Britain,
They didn't have bombs and they didn't have planes,
They fought with their hearts and they fought with their brains,
They didn't have bullets, armed just with a mask,
We sent them to war, with one simple task,
To show us the way, to lead and inspire us,
To protect us from harm and fight off the virus,
It couldn't be stopped by our bullet proof vests,
An invisible enemy, invaded our chests,
So we called on our weapon, our soldiers in Blue,
"All Doctors, All Nurses, Your Country needs you"
We clapped on our streets, hearts bursting with pride,
As they went off to war, while we stayed inside,
They struggled at first, as they searched for supplies,
But they stared down the virus, in the whites of its eyes,
They leaped from the trenches and didn't think twice,
Some never came back, the ultimate price,
So tired, so weary, yet still they fought on,
As the virus was beaten and the battle was won,
The many of us, owe so much, to so few,
The brave and the bold, our heroes in Blue,
So let's line the streets and remember our debt
We love you, our heroes,
Lest we forget

• Like 2
  • Robin 3

37 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

That is actually the most sensible option Ive heard. As long as all clubs know the rules before next season starts , they cant complain. Changing the rules for this season now, three quarters through holds all sorts of implications. But obviously the fans would need to be recompensed , as we've already forked out for a full sized ST for next year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mozo said:

I completely agree, but the season will always be tarnished. 

Say we beat Preston to 6th place, with a fit and firing Afobe playing in each of our remaining games. There would always be the claim that we'd benefitted from a pandemic. Some clubs would benefit from the extended break more than others.

More controversial than that will be the contract situation. Imagine a team become weakened by losing a loanee before the season resumes, or even an out of contract first teamer. Could departing players resume the season elsewhere?

I'm guessing there will be an agreement made by clubs to adhere to a particular code of conduct which safeguards the status quo until the season has been completed, but who knows.

Another curiosity is that there were probably managers out there on the verge of the sack, who have had the most dramatic stay of execution you could imagine. 

For tons of reasons, this season, if it finishes, will be a complete anomaly. Even Liverpool's almost perfect season will forever be caveated by the pandemic.

I cannot see that being an issue in all fairness, all teams will have players out injured etc who will be fit. It is a squad game and players get injured all the time, we cannot really complain to the FA saying we are lower down the table because Afobe was injured can we and expect them to do something about it. 

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

That is actually the most sensible option Ive heard. As long as all clubs know the rules before next season starts , they cant complain. Changing the rules for this season now, three quarters through holds all sorts of implications. But obviously the fans would need to be recompensed , as we've already forked out for a full sized ST for next year.

If a shortened season did happen I could see fans being offered a `credit` on the following season`s ST if that`s what we want or a proportion of your money back if you don`t. I expect a lot would take the first option - I know I would (I`ve already paid out and it would mean a nice cheap one the season after) and it would mean a lot less admin plus the club gets to retain the income in the short term.

It has to be up to the individual ST holder though - the club should not dictate what happens. I suspect City would just follow what other clubs do in the end.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldstandrobin said:

Just had this from an ex military colleague of mine:

I'll tell you a tale, that's been recently written,
Of a powerful army, so Great it saved Britain,
They didn't have bombs and they didn't have planes,
They fought with their hearts and they fought with their brains,
They didn't have bullets, armed just with a mask,
We sent them to war, with one simple task,
To show us the way, to lead and inspire us,
To protect us from harm and fight off the virus,
It couldn't be stopped by our bullet proof vests,
An invisible enemy, invaded our chests,
So we called on our weapon, our soldiers in Blue,
"All Doctors, All Nurses, Your Country needs you"
We clapped on our streets, hearts bursting with pride,
As they went off to war, while we stayed inside,
They struggled at first, as they searched for supplies,
But they stared down the virus, in the whites of its eyes,
They leaped from the trenches and didn't think twice,
Some never came back, the ultimate price,
So tired, so weary, yet still they fought on,
As the virus was beaten and the battle was won,
The many of us, owe so much, to so few,
The brave and the bold, our heroes in Blue,
So let's line the streets and remember our debt
We love you, our heroes,
Lest we forget

Christopher Ecclestone just read that on Radio 5.

Marvellous.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

I'm not in favour of finishing the season at any cost,the powers that be should set a date say 15th June and if crisis is  still continuing expunge all results from the 19/20 season in effect cancelling it .

To try and complete at any price will impact severely the following season so in my mind make a big decision now and look forward to the new season.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

The issue of whether the season finishes or not, will probably determine whether football has any morals left or whether it truly is all about money.

If I read it correctly, it seems the premier league are worried that if the seasons  fails to finish they will be liable for repayment of something in the order of £750m to broadcasters, under the terms of their TV rights contracts. As most clubs have already spent their 2019-20 Tv money, you can see how problematical this could prove. 

Logical common sense would say that the pandemic, and the personal cost it is incurring, particularly in peoples lives and health, outweighs any other consideration, but it will be "interesting" to see if the financial greed in football outweighs any other consideration.

37 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The issue of whether the season finishes or not, will probably determine whether football has any morals left or whether it truly is all about money.

If I read it correctly, it seems the premier league are worried that if the seasons  fails to finish they will be liable for repayment of something in the order of £750m to broadcasters, under the terms of their TV rights contracts. As most clubs have already spent their 2019-20 Tv money, you can see how problematical this could prove. 

Logical common sense would say that the pandemic, and the personal cost it is incurring, particularly in peoples lives and health, outweighs any other consideration, but it will be "interesting" to see if the financial greed in football outweighs any other consideration.

I think we can see from the behaviour of Spurs this week just which way this will go unfortunately. Hope I’m proved wrong but I can’t see any way that those top clubs will not do everything they can in order to not jeopardise their primary income stream. There may be a few outliers who will want to do the right thing, but can’t see it.  All these crazy suggestions coming out just show how desperate they are to conclude it and not lose their precious tv revenues.  

19 minutes ago, lenred said:

I think we can see from the behaviour of Spurs this week just which way this will go unfortunately. Hope I’m proved wrong but I can’t see any way that those top clubs will not do everything they can in order to not jeopardise their primary income stream. There may be a few outliers who will want to do the right thing, but can’t see it.  All these crazy suggestions coming out just show how desperate they are to conclude it and not lose their precious tv revenues.  

You have to look at the likes of Villa & West Ham though - it`s probably in their interest financially to end the season now. If the cost of going down outweighs the `payback` to TV they'll surely be campaigning for the season to be ended now.

32 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You have to look at the likes of Villa & West Ham though - it`s probably in their interest financially to end the season now. If the cost of going down outweighs the `payback` to TV they'll surely be campaigning for the season to be ended now.

I agree it very much is, but it’s the big clubs that hold the weight in the argument (and whatever they like to think Villa are not at the top table or anywhere near it). It’ll be the Liverpools, Chelsea’s, Spurs, Arsenals and Manchester clubs that dictate this and that hold the clout on this one.
 I’m sure there will be threats of breakaways to the much fabled European Super League etc being bandied about if they don’t get their own way and the Prem will kow tow. 

• Like 1

Manchester United players today became the first Premier League stars to slash their pay and they will now donate millions to the NHS, MailOnline can reveal today.

Old Trafford stars earning up to £375,000-a-week have agreed to forgo 30 per cent of their wages for one month on the proviso that the money is used to benefit hospitals and health centres throughout Manchester in the fight against the coronavirus.

Captain Harry Maguire was approached by chairman Ed Woodward about the idea, and the England defender opened up the initiate to the rest of the senior squad, who are believed to have overwhelmingly agreed.

The decision came as a row over footballers' pay erupted with Gary Lineker today defending those who have not taken a cut during the coronavirus crisis after Health Secretary Matt Hancock urged them to support club staff who are being furloughed at the taxpayers' expense.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8184201/Manchester-United-stars-donate-NHS-coronavirus-fight-taking-30-wage-cut.html

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Jesus, just disappeared down the rabbit hole of 5G causing Coronavirus on Twitter.  What a bunch of total nut jobs.

**** me there’s a lot of uneducated morons, and they live amongst us. Bloody scary.

Stop going over to Sagchat then...