IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

5 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Just had this from an ex military colleague of mine:

I'll tell you a tale, that's been recently written,
Of a powerful army, so Great it saved Britain,
They didn't have bombs and they didn't have planes,
They fought with their hearts and they fought with their brains,
They didn't have bullets, armed just with a mask,
We sent them to war, with one simple task,
To show us the way, to lead and inspire us,
To protect us from harm and fight off the virus,
It couldn't be stopped by our bullet proof vests,
An invisible enemy, invaded our chests,
So we called on our weapon, our soldiers in Blue,
"All Doctors, All Nurses, Your Country needs you"
We clapped on our streets, hearts bursting with pride,
As they went off to war, while we stayed inside,
They struggled at first, as they searched for supplies,
But they stared down the virus, in the whites of its eyes,
They leaped from the trenches and didn't think twice,
Some never came back, the ultimate price,
So tired, so weary, yet still they fought on,
As the virus was beaten and the battle was won,
The many of us, owe so much, to so few,
The brave and the bold, our heroes in Blue,
So let's line the streets and remember our debt
We love you, our heroes,
Lest we forget

Very touching and, I am not ashamed to admit, it brought a tear to my eye (in fact, several, if truth be known).

Which makes this link all the more embarrassing, although perhaps some harmless, lighthearted humour is helpful in these painful times.

Well done to Man Utd and their players!

The ones who act earliest always come out best- so yeah, that is good to see. So long as they don't then furlough non playing staff but if they do, they have more of an excuse.

Levy's actions earlier in the week- was that do we think to try and shame the PFA/PL/players into action or?

Anyway, PL have grasped the nettle at last- over to you Gordon Taylor...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52148955

Of more importance to us, the EFL as expected suspended further, no 30th April resumption date.

Fair play to Henderson too!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/03/liverpool-jordan-henderson-sets-up-premier-league-coronavirus-fund-for-nhs

Meanwhile, Hull will or might be the latest club to ask their players to take a cut- as well as furloughing staff. 20%.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Seems like the Premier League are going to donate £125 million to the EFL, not before time but still it should help a lot of struggling clubs.

Having taken so long for these clubs and players to part with their ludicrous reserves of cash, it feels like it is a reluctant gesture more than anything. Maybe that's just my cynical mind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Having taken so long for these clubs and players to part with their ludicrous reserves of cash, it feels like it is a reluctant gesture more than anything. Maybe that's just my cynical mind.

No I think you're right it does feel like they have finally realised how bad it looked.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Apparently, it's an advance not necessarily an additional donation but make no mistake, it will make a big difference.

That said, I've read different things on it.

Any idea how the donation will be broken down across clubs?

2 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

Any idea how the donation will be broken down across clubs?

Well according to one line I've read it's an advance in solidarity payments and parachute payments.

In 2018/19 it was apparently £4.65m per Championship club, except for those in receipt of parachute payments- but how it's structured, is it one payment, 2 or 3 of equal- that is less clear atm.

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I wonder if this social separation biz will impact upon football when it returns. Will there be extra instances of players being given too much room on the pitch and when it comes to the communal bath will players keep two litres apart?

There`s been quite a lot of occasions over the last couple of seasons where our midfield have practiced social distancing...………….

• Haha 3

Radio 5 live now discussing among other things Premier league players wages.

Seems the club captains are already discussing details of pay cut but want some control/assurances of what happens to this large pot, how does it get used for good.

26 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

Radio 5 live now discussing among other things Premier league players wages.

Seems the club captains are already discussing details of pay cut but want some control/assurances of what happens to this large pot, how does it get used for good.

Was Jack Grealish part of this .

48 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

(unless your in a position where you go up or down)

Does that include clubs who are 1 point off the play offs.....

You can't decide the fate of this season until you know when football is allowed to restart, if things take a turn for the worse we may not even see any football until the new year at which point there isn't really any point in starting a new season and you may as well make it a 19/20/21 season. Flip side if cases rapidly decreased in say 4 weeks or so for whatever miraculous reason then you'd have time to finish this season and adjust next season to perhaps just having no domestic cups which creates several more mid week slots.

Most of society is waiting indefinitely for life to recommence so can football, no decisions need to be taken soon.

Edited by hodge
  • Like 11

6 minutes ago, Malago said:

The way things are going we’ll be scrapping next season as well.  Can’t see any competitive football being played until August 2021 at the earliest.

Reckon we will see the resumption of this season in July.....finishing in August with 20/21 season starting in October 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Reckon we will see the resumption of this season in July.....finishing in August with 20/21 season starting in October 

The govt aren't going to allow football to restart until they’re certain that the risk of transmission of the virus has been reduced to a very low level.  That effectively means a vaccine being available which according to the experts is 12 months away.  Then you have think about mass production of the vaccine and inoculating the entire population which is going to take, I don’t know, say 3 months minimum.

Even If you go down the route of playing behind closed doors you have to ensure the safety of the players, officials etc which you can’t do without an effective vaccine.

Edited by Malago
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malago said:

The govt aren't going to allow football to restart until they’re certain that the risk of transmission of the virus has been reduced to a very low level.  That effectively means a vaccine being available which according to the experts is 12 months away.  Then you have think about mass production of the vaccine and inoculating the entire population which is going to take, I don’t know, say 3 months minimum.

Even If you go down the route of playing behind closed doors you have to ensure the safety of the players, officials etc which you can’t do without an effective vaccine.

Plenty will have had it and be immune before a vaccine is produced

17 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Plenty will have had it and be immune before a vaccine is produced

Yes but plenty, won’t and some clubs will have more immune players than others.  You obviously can’t play those who have no immunity.  So let’s say in our squad we have 20 immune players and, pick any other championship club you like, say PNE or example,  only have 10 players with immunity.  How are you going to organise a competitive league on that basis?

10 minutes ago, Malago said:

Yes but plenty, won’t and some clubs will have more immune players than others.  You obviously can’t play those who have no immunity.  So let’s say in our squad we have 20 immune players and, pick any other championship club you like, say PNE or example,  only have 10 players with immunity.  How are you going to organise a competitive league on that basis?

Might beat Preston for a change then.

• Haha 1