IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

TBF a large proportion of the population as well as those companies which seemed ‘healthy’ are much in the same position regards cash flow and reserves.

I’m including me and my employer in that, it’s certainly no judgment.

Yes, was mainly referring to top two tiers in football.  Sorry, I wasn’t clear, meant with tv revenues they shouldn’t gamble it all.  Non-football business is a totally different kettle of fish I accept.

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Derby the latest club to furlough non playing staff.

Day after Rooney's rant in the Sunday Times.

I wish the media wouldn’t band around the 20%....it is only an applicable percentage to those on less than £2500pm....which does cover a large proportion of employees, but not all.

• Like 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/06/exclusive-tottenham-push-ahead-20-per-cent-wage-cuts-furloughing/

Tottenham however are not- though this was written quite a bit earlier, so who knows if it's in date.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/06/footballers-cannot-logically-expect-full-pay-play/

Agree with Burt. While no play, no full pay.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I used to work for Nationwide and they are usually pretty good at these sort of things, but great to see the CEO self sacrificing his £1m bonus and various other financial incentives.  It goes to show that regardless of what you are legally entitled to receive in your contract, the individual always has a choice:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8189919/amp/Nationwide-boss-Joe-Garner-volunteers-huge-pay-cut-coronavirus-crisis.html

As others have mentioned, SL could pay the NPS their full salary and not claim money from Gov if he wanted to, yes legally and he can claim it and has done nothing wrong, but that’s beside the point.  

The same goes with players, yes it’s not their responsibility, yes they have no obligation, yes they are employed by a different company blah blah blah, but they could choose to do something if they wanted to, it’s their money at the end of the day.

• Robin 1

When we hear about clubs putting people into furlough, we automatically assume it’s on the government rulings 80% with a maximum  £2500 a month. 
In my household I’ve mine, my wife’s and daughters company’s. 
Mine is 80% with no ceiling (the company will top that bit up) and this will also based on last year’s financial wages. So if you worked overtime you get that into the calculation. 
My wife’s is employees get paid full amount of their wages. But the company will claim the 80% allowance back from the government. Reason why they took that approach is because come tax hikes (and they will come) they may as well take this option as they will also being paying the impending tax increase. 
My daughters is on the government amount. 

We are criticising these clubs but we don’t know if they are doing either of the above. 

Yes these clubs make a shite load of money, but also so do a lot of companies doing the same.  

Edited by RedorDead BCFC

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

As others have mentioned, SL could pay the NPS their full salary and not claim money from Gov if he wanted to, yes legally and he can claim it and has done nothing wrong, but that’s beside the point.  

SL is probably significantly out of pocket judging by the stock market indices. Quite probably a lot worse to come on that front too. 

I'm sure he's taken steps but a drop of 25-30% in the value of investments is gonna hurt even when you are a billionaire. 

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Okay some genuinely good stuff in there, about 40% in.

Maybe I've been a bit harsh in some areas. Still have some valid points of criticism/critique though- does no harm on the PR front either?

It's always the bravest (thinking players at Leeds and in a different way Brentford) who go first though.

16 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Mr Pop... Record unchanged, dull factor increasing.

It's news...

Anyway I'll cut to the chase- a dozen Championship clubs have done it according to a Tweet I saw so there we go. Job done, point made.

People's ethics come out in times like these though, it's quite telling really.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous