Kid in the Riot

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Three for me at the moment, I love:

Baxter Dury -The Night Chancers 

Caribou - Suddenly

Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

The Baxter Dury (son of Ian) record is absolute class imo

Any other recommendations?

I’ve listened to the Caribou album and liked it but wasn’t blown away. Had a ticket to the watch him/then at the Academy but it got canned understandably. Swim is one of my favourite albums, and the last one was great also.

Have heard the odd track from the other two on radio 6 but haven’t delved deeper. Will get them both downloaded.

i haven’t listened to many new albums recently as I was swatting up on the Glastonbury lineup instead, plus Belle & Sebastian back catalogue as was going to see them too. Cancellations all round unfortunately 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Three for me at the moment, I love:

Baxter Dury -The Night Chancers 

Caribou - Suddenly

Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

Any other recommendations?

The have been going a while now, but anything by Public Service Broadcasting. 

Also Sean Rowe, again not a new performer as such but has become more popular recently.

• Like 2

I don’t know if the Danish artist Agnès Obel is well known in the UK but her music extraordinarily beautiful .

Great for chilling out at home which just by coincidence...

Here is a comment lifted from YouTube which sums it up .

’ Marzzy107

Every time I listen to Agnes I get goosebumps and feel like my souls being transported to some mysterious, beautiful dimension. Her music is a blessing to this Earth and I’m so thankful that I discovered her! ‘ 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Thanks 1

On 05/04/2020 at 08:18, internetjef said:

I’ve listened to the Caribou album and liked it but wasn’t blown away. Had a ticket to the watch him/then at the Academy but it got canned understandably. Swim is one of my favourite albums, and the last one was great also.

Have heard the odd track from the other two on radio 6 but haven’t delved deeper. Will get them both downloaded.

i haven’t listened to many new albums recently as I was swatting up on the Glastonbury lineup instead, plus Belle & Sebastian back catalogue as was going to see them too. Cancellations all round unfortunately 

Pretty much my take on Suddenly as well, Jeff.

New (to me) this lockdown has been the Angel Olsen album All Mirrors, which really builds on her earlier work and is superb. I also like Agnes Obel @Major Isewater

I have eclectic tastes and I've been folking out to a collection of Kate & Anna McGarrigle albums a friend sent me and also psych rocking out to Syd Arthur, who never disappoint.

• Like 1

I must admit, I don't have a lot of patience for new bands. Very much stuck in a rut that I am perfectly content with. Thinking about it, the only stuff I have that could be considered anywhere recent would be Arctic Monkeys, Rifles and Florence + The Machine.

I realise I am likely missing out on a lot of decent music, and rely on a friend giving me a nudge as and when.

On 04/04/2020 at 22:13, Kid in the Riot said:

Agree Baxter Dury's new album is fabulous. What's it like? Impossible to describe, genre-defying, sleazily melodic cockney poetry. Extraordinary. I definitely recommend people seek out his stuff. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Agree Baxter Dury's new album is fabulous. What's it like? Impossible to describe, genre-defying, sleazily melodic cockney poetry. Extraordinary. I definitely recommend people seek out his stuff. 

He maintains the ‘ Dury ‘ voice and sense of poetry but the music is more contemporary .

I give it a big thumbs up . 

• Like 2

On 08/06/2020 at 11:03, forbespm said:

Murder capital and fontaines dc,both from dublin..both played in bristol recently.superb bands

Really enjoying "A Hero's Death", I Don't Belong is good too, but a bit derivative of a couple of Joy Division tracks. His voice helps to give it a more unique feel though.

Edited by Port Said Red

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Really enjoying "A Hero's Death", I Don't Belong is good too, but a bit derivative of a couple of Joy Division tracks. His voice helps to give it a more unique feel though.

Only just hearing these,sounds good.does remind me a bit of joy division I agree.

murder capital remind me of killing joke and not division also

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 22:06, Emperor Palpatine said:

A lot of new music mainly lesser known electronic music on SoundCloud while producing my own glitchy electronic stuff.

SoundCloud is a treasure trove of great electronic music (if you're into that type of thing)

Got a link to your stuff? 

On 12/06/2020 at 16:58, One Team In Keynsham said:

This has piqued my interest.

On 12/06/2020 at 21:51, internetjef said:

Fontaine’s dc first album dogrel is quality 

i say first , i think it is only , but there must be a new one on the way soon

On 13/06/2020 at 23:54, forbespm said:

Fontaines dc have there second album out end of july.

Following on from this, there seems to be a bit of a Dublin scene going on at the moment. I heard this Sprints track yesterday, a pretty good garage/post punk effort.

• Like 1