IGNORED

Furloughing staff at the club

nicola1111

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Apologies for the post. Wholly unwarranted.

Quite disappointed with football's response as a whole though.

No need to apologise it is trying times for us all.

football is no different from other businesses except for contracts 

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting arrangement.

Given said staff work at AG on a matchday, however- it's all a bit messy.

Took a quick look at the AGL accounts earlier and it is now directly controlled/owned by the Lansdowns as opposed to Bristol City FC or Bristol City Holdings

It's pretty funny though- @Phileas Fogg was of the opinion a few weeks ago on another thread that casual staff would get topped up or looked after during these times. Errr- no.

Excellent material for a journo though, convinced of that.

No, if I remember correctly - it's what I hoped would happen, not necessarily what I thought would happen. Haven't been keeping abreast of it really though.

7 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Surely the players could do what they want at home if furloughed including exercise? Yes they could choose not to do any exercise and state that they were furloughed, but I can’t see that exercise would not be allowed?

They would be following specificly tailored programs for each of them, being furloughed would mean receiving no instructions on what to do, as a result no knowing if they're doing too much/too little for muscle groups, when they should be swapping to something new etc

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

They would be following specificly tailored programs for each of them, being furloughed would mean receiving no instructions on what to do, as a result no knowing if they're doing too much/too little for muscle groups, when they should be swapping to something new etc

All the players will be in daily contact with Andy Rolls and his team. They’ll supervise their physical regime. I’m not sure what Input  LJ and his coaches have tho. They obviously can’t coach  via the training pitches.

5 minutes ago, hodge said:

I appreciate that but I can’t see how that would ever be identified by the powers that be or even be a priority to be identified by the powers that be, personally I think it’s a non-issue

6 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I appreciate that but I can’t see how that would ever be identified by the powers that be or even be a priority to be identified by the powers that be, personally I think it’s a non-issue

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

All the players will be in daily contact with Andy Rolls and his team. They’ll supervise their physical regime. I’m not sure what Input  LJ and his coaches have tho. They obviously can’t coach  via the training pitches.

The point is would they know what to do if they couldn't be recieving instructions for their tailored program? They'd be guessing at what exercises to do if they couldn't be 'training' due to furlough

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I often wonder what input LJ and his coaches have !!!???

25 minutes ago, hodge said:

The point is would they know what to do if they couldn't be recieving instructions for their tailored program? They'd be guessing at what exercises to do if they couldn't be 'training' due to furlough

The players will be receiving individual instructions by communicating with the performance team. Each individual will have their own tailored  program and be in regular contact.  If they’re not sure about something then they simply ask when they check in

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The players will be receiving individual instructions by communicating with the performance team. Each individual will have their own tailored  program and be in regular contact.  If they’re not sure about something then they simply ask when they check in

But I was responding to tinmans love child's point about surely the players could exercise if they were furloughed even if they wouldn't be allowed to 'train', they wouldn't be allowed to take instructions from coaching staff because they'd be following a program ie training

1 hour ago, hodge said:

No my point is they will still just follow set programs as no one will ever know they are following set programs.  How would anyone find out they were following a program?  Who would care?  I think this issue is a red herring to be honest.  It’s a moot point anyway as they won’t be furloughed

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’ll take my view in line with what a football club owner has stated.  You can bet he’s asked the question “what constitutes work” when tweeting what he did.  I know it seems OTT, but HMRC don’t practice common-sense.

59 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

No my point is they will still just follow set programs as no one will ever know they are following set programs.  How would anyone find out they were following a program?  Who would care?  I think this issue is a red herring to be honest.  It’s a moot point anyway as they won’t be furloughed

Probably the govt if they found out players were training while clubs claimed money, as for the first part players will have things like heart rate monitors etc and feedback on stuff about how they feel while doing it, this feedback influences a plan moving forward as directed by coaches, you wouldn't want to just hand a player a plan for 3 months and say follow this without being able to monitor and track them.

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just watched the interview on IG.

Bloody hell how many times does Lisa Knights blink in that intro 

She doesn't seem very natural for a communications lead, seems to be trying way too hard to follow the party line and 'big up' various Bristol Sport initiatives.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No, if I remember correctly - it's what I hoped would happen, not necessarily what I thought would happen. Haven't been keeping abreast of it really though.

Fair enough, happy to be corrected then.

Don't think the club can be lavished with praise here, that's for sure.

Things can change but as of the time I made that post I mean.

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Surely the players could do what they want at home if furloughed including exercise? Yes they could choose not to do any exercise and state that they were furloughed, but I can’t see that exercise would not be allowed?

Do you think they’d be allowed to do keepy-ups with a toilet roll? 
Does that constitute ‘training’? 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

Probably the govt if they found out players were training while clubs claimed money, as for the first part players will have things like heart rate monitors etc and feedback on stuff about how they feel while doing it, this feedback influences a plan moving forward as directed by coaches, you wouldn't want to just hand a player a plan for 3 months and say follow this without being able to monitor and track them.

How will the Government find out?  They won’t, that’s my point, they have bigger fish to fry than knocking on the doors of footballers to see if they are training at home 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'll drop it for a while that's for sure but all I can say is that owing to our multi sport model and our owner's tax arrangement, ours is arguably more newsworthy than a few clubs who have done it.

Part of me hopes someone does cover it.

Furloughed employees can undertake training as long as it doesn’t involve service or making revenue for the employer. This goes for everyone, not just players.

52 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Furloughed employees can undertake training as long as it doesn’t involve service or making revenue for the employer. This goes for everyone, not just players.

Well this seems fair enough.

However we won't be furloughing players surely so it's a bit moot for us. Seems a bit rich to pay them 100% during lockdown but footballers aren't known for their wider understanding.

Dare say ours are little different.

On 06/04/2020 at 22:47, Simon79 said:

Not sure what the correct answer. But I’m confident our club, players will do the right thing. Whatever that is?? COYR 

Have just listened to the Steve Lansdown on TalkSport interview & I’m glad that my initial thoughts were correct. I really believe we have first & foremost good people at our club & this just reinforces it for me. This will be I would imagine well publicised, but there will be other things that people don’t know about so well also happening. Well done City. Stay safe everyone. COYR 

Couple of points on this, observations etc. Already posted the odd bit but this thread more relevant.

1. We will NOT be topping up furloughed staff wages with the extra 20%.
  2. SL's comments last year- this report last year does not paint him, possibly by extension us in a good light in conjunction with this.

See the interview. The relevant snippets are here:

Still, the U.K.’s political gridlock hasn’t hurt Lansdown financially. He’s sold more than $500 million of stock in Hargreaves Lansdown since the nation voted to leave the EU in 2016, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. Moreover, he’s pocketed that cash tax-free after moving a decade ago to Guernsey, the British crown dependency that doesn’t apply levies on capital gains. His remaining stake in Bristol, England-based Hargreaves Lansdown is worth about $1 billion.

And here:

I was in favor of Brexit. That aside, we need to get on with things. Whatever the situation, there will be entrepreneurs and people in the country that don’t do so well.

Not saying he's necessarily wrong on that bit, but a good journo etc could make hay out of this...doesn't reflect well.

Lastly, here:

There’s no capital gains tax, too, and that has allowed me to sell down my holding of Hargreaves Lansdown shares -- from about 28% when I left to 9% today -- and reinvest in sports, Africa and Guernsey businesses. Sometimes you don’t invest due to the tax position, but I can always make a decision without worrying about it. That’s the real joy.

Granted he reinvests and reinvests in good stuff- a lot of those who move to better tax regimes, he doesn't compare to those.

Still not a good look though. My own view? I'm conflicted.

Archived