IGNORED

If The Season Ended Now.

bpexile

Gday All, I hope everyone is managing under these very difficult times. 

I have been thinking that if the season ended now with the promotion & no relegation model then surely it must be our golden opportunity.  Considering the progress we have made in previous seasons & the clubs stability it would have to be seen as a leg up for us with no EPL teams coming down full of cash to spend. 

What are your thoughts everyone ?.

How could you promote any teams when everyone has played different games, against different sides..? 
Absolute nonsense and surely can’t happen. 
The season just has to resume & conclude in full, when it can. Even if that’s behind close doors, which would be terrible. 
If that’s not to happen, then the season needs to be null & void. 
You simply can’t take league placings to mean anything, when teams haven’t played the same number of games against the same opposition. 

If the season ended now, the PL would be due to rebate broadcasters quite a bit.

Unsure if broadcasters likewise would want recompense from the Championship but TV money is much lower, problems much lower. 

Here's an amusing thought. Should players rebate goal bonuses and the like ie performance related bonuses if the season voided? I'd say yes!

29 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How could you promote any teams when everyone has played different games, against different sides..? 
Absolute nonsense and surely can’t happen
The season just has to resume & conclude in full, when it can. Even if that’s behind close doors, which would be terrible. 
If that’s not to happen, then the season needs to be null & void. 
You simply can’t take league placings to mean anything, when teams haven’t played the same number of games against the same opposition. 

Not my idea, just one of the ideas being thrown around by various people, in my opinion there's only one way, that is for the season to be completed.

55 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How would “promotion and no relegation” work?! The premier league would have 23 teams when it restarted a full season?! 

Not my idea, just one of the ideas being thrown around by various people, in my opinion there's only one way, that is for the season to be completed.

1 hour ago, bpexile said:

Gday All, I hope everyone is managing under these very difficult times. 

I have been thinking that if the season ended now with the promotion & no relegation model then surely it must be our golden opportunity.  Considering the progress we have made in previous seasons & the clubs stability it would have to be seen as a leg up for us with no EPL teams coming down full of cash to spend. 

What are your thoughts everyone ?.

If we are all honest this season will not be completed. Leagues across the UK and definitely in the European Countries should stay as is. It would be in possible to promote clubs and not relegate others especially where clubs have games in hand on others. 

Lets look forward to a restart in 2021/22 where all clubs can recommence on an even perspective.

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

How would “promotion and no relegation” work?! The premier league would have 23 teams when it restarted a full season?! 

I think the idea I saw was for only the auto positions get promotion meaning only top 2 go up. Then over the following seasons they would get back to the usual numbers.

Why should the top 2 go up for? They are easily catchable, that would be unfair on teams in the playoffs.

If the top 2 can go up why cant the bottom 2 in the premier league go down? The same thing...

Its unfair so in my opinion the league has to finish, theres no way the new season will be starting anyways so continue this season and get fresh for the euros next year with a break from January..

12 hours ago, City oz said:

If we are all honest this season will not be completed. Leagues across the UK and definitely in the European Countries should stay as is. It would be in possible to promote clubs and not relegate others especially where clubs have games in hand on others. 

Lets look forward to a restart in 2021/22 where all clubs can recommence on an even perspective.

Does that include Bury , who would be reinstated to League 1, and what about Boltons huge points deduction? Does it get applied again?

1 hour ago, foghornred said:

Intesting fact if you go to any clubs website they all have the next fixture as in the first weekend in May some even have lots of fixtures after that,do they know something that we dont ?

I think the league had been formally suspended until 30th April, so is due (won't happen) to resume the weekend after that. Fixtures already in for that weekend, as it would have been the final day of the season.

10 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Does that include Bury , who would be reinstated to League 1, and what about Boltons huge points deduction? Does it get applied again?

Good question. I would suggest if the season is void, then it should not be deducted again. 

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Good question. I would suggest if the season is void, then it should not be deducted again. 

Funny because I'd hold the opposite view, they've not had to complete and suffer the consequences of a full season with a points deduction which was their initial punishment

8 minutes ago, hodge said:

Funny because I'd hold the opposite view, they've not had to complete and suffer the consequences of a full season with a points deduction which was their initial punishment

Maybe I’m just being biased to the extra relegation spot for our ‘friends’!

10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

A good read from Perryman from Philosophy Football....

https://www.philosophyfootball.com/null-and-void.html

Thanks, a very good read and I definitely agree with a lot of the points, particularly re Euro 2021. I’m not sure that Europe will be sufficiently virus free to allow a pan European tournament that soon. 

10 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

When the football season was put on hold the positions on the date should stay as is. Why confuse the issue as other clubs in all leagues will have their own “what about this and what about that” 

15 hours ago, prankerd said:

Why should the top 2 go up for? They are easily catchable, that would be unfair on teams in the playoffs.

If the top 2 can go up why cant the bottom 2 in the premier league go down? The same thing...

Its unfair so in my opinion the league has to finish, theres no way the new season will be starting anyways so continue this season and get fresh for the euros next year with a break from January..

I agree on the playoff & relegation situation but as I said previously its not my idea, I'm just quoting an idea that was put forward amongst a few others.

Its all a very tricky situation which isn't solved easily.

was reading that Denmark are tentatively thinking of relaxing their restriction later in April but even if that's the case have said that mass events won't be held till August at earliest. That being the case (and I recognize each country will take it's own approach) i'd rather see the season canned than played out in empty stadiums. 

Of course that's my personal preference, no telling what will happen either with football's decision makers nor this virus. 

9 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

was reading that Denmark are tentatively thinking of relaxing their restriction later in April but even if that's the case have said that mass events won't be held till August at earliest. That being the case (and I recognize each country will take it's own approach) i'd rather see the season canned than played out in empty stadiums. 

Of course that's my personal preference, no telling what will happen either with football's decision makers nor this virus. 

It'll get played out if its August, too much money on the line for all clubs and least complicated finish in terms of club appeals/complaints/lawsuits etc, remove domestic cups and you open up another 6 midweek slots at least

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

1 hour ago, hodge said:

I've skim read the philosophy football blog, listened to innumerable podcasts, and considered the arguments myself over the past few days, and I've come to the opinion that the season should be abandoned. Terminate it, note all the statistics and all the positions as they were on the final day, place a large asterisk next to them and move on to prepare for a (likely delayed) start to the 2020/21 season. 

There will be winners and losers in any solution, no plan will please all parties equally,. For heavens sake we currently sit in a position  in which we really lose out -- 7th. However, I think this is the best solution when trying to balance the desire to save lives, save jobs, save teams, save the integrity of the leagues, and save the sanity of all involved. 

The 2020/21 season should ideally begin in a position as close to the beginning of the 2019/20 season as it can -  I'd try to impose a partial moratorium on transfers this summer, possibly allowing clubs to only add to their squads in order to either replace those who retire or to promote youth teams player , and to only remove from their squad as a result of either of the former option or where a player retires. A third exception to be made to replace a player who moves on as a result of another club using one of the first two exceptions to purchase your player. I'd suggest that Bolton begin the 2020.21 season in the same position they began 2019/20. Bury could be allowed to apply for re-entry to the league, although would likely fail.

Every week that this situation persists for is another week of pressure on an already constricted future calendar. Bear in mind that we are now having a European summer tournament next year, then the two seasons following that are already being adjusted for the sake of an insane desert World Cup in Dec 2022. AFCON 2020 has been postponed as well. Adding on pressure over the next few months may solve a short term issue but the problems will mount up further down the line.

Terminate it now. There is precedent in 1939 for this. Yes that season was only 3 games old, but the situation was just as global, just as serious, and just as world-changing. 

@ExiledAjax I'd rather see this season completed and then if 20/21 can't be fit in (you'd know this very early) adjust the 20/21 season ie only play 19 or 23 games for the season and be pot luck if you draw a team home or away, that way you get the current season completed which avoids complications and everyone goes into 20/21 knowing the rules for the league in a time frame it can easily be fit in. For everyone saying they don't want games played behind closed doors there's no guarantee if you voided 19/20 that you'd be able to sit in a seat in August for the first game of 20/21 anyway. I suspect games could be behind closed doors for a while, it would just wreak havoc to allow tens of thousands to stand congregating again.

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I've skim read the philosophy football blog, listened to innumerable podcasts, and considered the arguments myself over the past few days, and I've come to the opinion that the season should be abandoned. Terminate it, note all the statistics and all the positions as they were on the final day, place a large asterisk next to them and move on to prepare for a (likely delayed) start to the 2020/21 season. 

There will be winners and losers in any solution, no plan will please all parties equally,. For heavens sake we currently sit in a position  in which we really lose out -- 7th. However, I think this is the best solution when trying to balance the desire to save lives, save jobs, save teams, save the integrity of the leagues, and save the sanity of all involved. 

The 2020/21 season should ideally begin in a position as close to the beginning of the 2019/20 season as it can -  I'd try to impose a partial moratorium on transfers this summer, possibly allowing clubs to only add to their squads in order to either replace those who retire or to promote youth teams player , and to only remove from their squad as a result of either of the former option or where a player retires. A third exception to be made to replace a player who moves on as a result of another club using one of the first two exceptions to purchase your player. I'd suggest that Bolton begin the 2020.21 season in the same position they began 2019/20. Bury could be allowed to apply for re-entry to the league, although would likely fail.

Every week that this situation persists for is another week of pressure on an already constricted future calendar. Bear in mind that we are now having a European summer tournament next year, then the two seasons following that are already being adjusted for the sake of an insane desert World Cup in Dec 2022. AFCON 2020 has been postponed as well. Adding on pressure over the next few months may solve a short term issue but the problems will mount up further down the line.

Terminate it now. There is precedent in 1939 for this. Yes that season was only 3 games old, but the situation was just as global, just as serious, and just as world-changing. 

Weren't you downplaying things a bit in the Coronavirus thread a few weeks ago?

Posts on March 11th and 15th stick out a bit.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Weren't you downplaying things a bit in the Coronavirus thread a few weeks ago?

Posts on March 11th and 15th stick out a bit.

And we can discuss that in the general thread if you wish. 

This is about how to resolve the season. My opinion on the wider situation is irrelevant.

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

@ExiledAjax I'd rather see this season completed and then if 20/21 can't be fit in (you'd know this very early) adjust the 20/21 season ie only play 19 or 23 games for the season and be pot luck if you draw a team home or away, that way you get the current season completed which avoids complications and everyone goes into 20/21 knowing the rules for the league in a time frame it can easily be fit in. For everyone saying they don't want games played behind closed doors there's no guarantee if you voided 19/20 that you'd be able to sit in a seat in August for the first game of 20/21 anyway. I suspect games could be behind closed doors for a while, it would just wreak havoc to allow tens of thousands to stand congregating again.

Agree. Personally I'd just write the season off, but if that isn't palatable then your suggestion of a truncated 2020/21 season seems sensible.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And we can discuss that in the general thread if you wish. 

This is about how to resolve the season. My opinion on the wider situation is irrelevant.

Fair enough- not really one for point scoring on forums. Was a little bit of light mischief making.

I think there is still scope to play it out behind closed doors but complete it we must, but I see why cancellation, making it null and void will seem appealing in the current time.

It's probably already been discussed on here but I'm sure I heard something about June behind closed doors- early, mid unsure but sometime in June- if social distancing holds and infection rates fall why not...

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair enough- not really one for point scoring on forums. Was a little bit of light mischief making.

I think there is still scope to play it out behind closed doors but complete it we must, but I see why cancellation, making it null and void will seem appealing in the current time.

It's probably already been discussed on here but I'm sure I heard something about June behind closed doors- early, mid unsure but sometime in June- if social distancing holds and infection rates fall why not...

I know you are not one for point scoring, and I know my opinion wasn't popular.

For what it's worth I don't think a decision really needs to be made now. I suspect that realistically the end of the month is the deadline. Closed doors is an option but I think it would be a bad precedent to set and would not be nearly as successful in the long run as it may seem.

I wouldn't agree that "complete it we must".

Archived