IGNORED

Jimmy Greaves taken into hospital

Lanterne Rouge

I watched the Greavsie doc on BT sport last night. What a superb film. The punchline was spot on. He became more famous for being one half of a double act than his previous profession.

I never saw him play football live but the film clearly shows how brilliant he was. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Quite. He has a history of heart problems, so is especially vulnerable.

Hope he pulls through.

He also had dilapidating stroke a few ago. Been dependent on others to care for him. 

He must be in his 80s now so just his age will make him more vulnerable to C-19. Add to that his poor general health and you have a very poorly man.

As someone that can remember Jimmy Greaves in his playing days, he has to be considered the best ever as his record suggests.

44 goals for England in only 57 appearances 

357 top flight goals, nearest to him would be Alan Shearer on 260

sensational player.

Don't forget he's one of the Boys of '66. If he hadn't picked up a gashed leg in the group game against France he would probably played in the final instead.

I saw his at an evening with those boys in Wolverhampton a few years ago and he was, inevitably, the MC of the whole event. A great raconteur with a waspish sense of humour.

On 10/04/2020 at 17:58, fanjita said:

As someone that can remember Jimmy Greaves in his playing days, he has to be considered the best ever as his record suggests.

44 goals for England in only 57 appearance

Tremendous 77% goalscoring record for England. Close to John Atyeo's 83%.

sensational player.

A lethal striker - he scored goals, that was his game.

Remember reading comments by a defender who played against JG back in the day. He said that he played well against Greaves and for 88 minutes of the game they never gave Greaves a touch of the ball, yet he scored twice.

sensational player.

Maybe slightly before your time but I’m always surprised why Brian Clough never got more caps for england or was it because he played in lower league (not sure where Middlesborough were at time) ? 

Archived