IGNORED

RIP Norman Hunter

BCFC1512

• Admin
43 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow, where did you hear this pal?

Looking around social media it appears someone made reference to him being unwell on Wednesday. 

Nothing official anywhere, but either way lets hope is is okay 

43 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

on a ventilator fighting for his life ?

One of my old time foot ball heroes. I remember when he joined city from Leeds around the mid 70s. I was about 14 at the time and always remember when me and my mates ever played football on stockwood lane ( SWEB Ground ) if any of you can remember as it was a temporary training ground for city way back then. I always played but dont laugh thinking I was Norman Hunter. 

I can almost remember most of the goals Norman scored at Ashton gate and i think one was a night match and it could of been a league cup semi final where we lossed on the second leg.

If it is true and Norman is fighting for his life I’m sure he will pull through. He was one of the most committed and aggressive footballers to ever play for City. 

I wish him all the best.

Always remember one of his goals, he pretended to be tying his boot lace up when we had a corner and all the opposition players left him on his own. The ball was played straight to him and he slotted it into the bottom corner.

keep fighting Norman.

8 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

on a ventilator fighting for his life ?

Sad news. Like a few on here I had the pleasure of meeting him at a club sportsman dinner at the Cadbury Club a few years back. Genuinely a really nice bloke.

Hope you pull through Norman.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No way!!!  Loved Norman, fantastic player, and a true gent.  Bought my boots and subbuteo kit from his sport shop on The Gilda.  My mates mum used to work in the shop.

Hope you get through it!

I remember that shop on Gilda Parade. Wasn’t as flash as you though with your boots and subbuteo though, all I had was a Norman Hunter pen! 

Good luck Norman and everyone fighting for their lives. Peace. 

On the Leeds official site now simply confirming that he Is in hospital.

He played in the first City match I went to.  I have always believed that he scored that day but was starting to think that I had imagined it, but on checking just now I see that he did (and the goal was just as I remembered).  Home against Newcastle in 1978.

I had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife at Elland Road and she said how much they enjoyed their time living in the West Country.  Really nice, friendly people.

Wishing him all the best in getting well soon.

I make absolutely no apologies for posting this.  My first proper 'hero' when watching City. And a reminder that we had some damn good players at that time. Best wishes Norman for a full and speedy recovery.

#normanbitesyervirus

It’s amazing how the amount of money in football has changed since Norman’s day. Today it would be impossible for City to sign a player of his ability from a top club. The same applies to other players of that era that City signed.  I remember England International Joe Royle saying he had a pay rise when he joined City!

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I remember that shop on Gilda Parade. Wasn’t as flash as you though with your boots and subbuteo though, all I had was a Norman Hunter pen! 

Good luck Norman and everyone fighting for their lives. Peace. 

If my dad is reading OTIB (he does every now and again), remember that mum quite liked Norman ???

Utterly fantastic player for us and an idol of the old open end. One of his first games - perhaps his home debut?- was the match against Leeds that was abandoned at half time for fog. To say it was thick was an understatement- I swear I didn’t see Hunter once in 45 mins. Then the free kicks- he’d quietly begin his run up in our own half before steaming in, firing low into the net. Very complimentary about City in his autobiography. Love the man, so all the very best Norman.

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It’s amazing how the amount of money in football has changed since Norman’s day. Today it would be impossible for City to sign a player of his ability from a top club. The same applies to other players of that era that City signed.  I remember England International Joe Royle saying he had a pay rise when he joined City!

Might be something to do with City spending beyond their means and eventually going bankrupt?

25 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Completely different era- these players washed their own kits!

Joe Royle moved into a decent house in our village- Congresbury. Used to turn out in a dodgy real fur coat. Lovely bloke.Tom Ritchie also- he had a 3 bed new build semi near the florists. Bigger than my family home, but would compare in size and price to the sort of place that a modest modern prem player would buy to house the help.

My mum used to tell a story about when she worked as the secretary at the BS14 club in Stockwood, and at that time City used to train in the adjacent field. One day she was sat in the office and heard the smash of broken glass. She went out in search of the cause, and found in the art room a broken window and a ball rolling around the floor. Then, a face appeared through the window and a familiar face meekly asked "can we have our ball back please?". It was Norman.

Archived