IGNORED

RIP Norman Hunter

BCFC1512

So sad , Norman will ‘ bite legs ‘ in heaven now . 

My thoughts are with this legend’s  family and loved ones .

I just want to add that his signing not only gave Bristol City a credibility that was lacking when we got promoted to the old First Division but was also instrumental in keeping us there . 

Thank you , Norman.

This is desperately sad.  Tears in the eyes.

Thank you Norman for the time you spent with us, you will never be forgotten.  Condolences to friends, family and those managed by and played for, especially to Leeds.

RIP my first true BCFC hero.

True hero of mine along with Gerry Gow when I started watching City, two great players sadly no longer with us 

Saw him once on Park Street when I was up from the country on a shopping trip with my mum, it was the first time I'd met a famous footballer and him saying hello to us made my day and he became my hero 

RIP Norman 

I know that he will mostly be remembered for his time at Leeds & with England, but for us City fans old enough and lucky enough to see him playing for us, it must be up there with some of the best memories. Couldn't believe it when we signed him.

RIP Norm

Rest easy Norman - you always gave absolutely everything for our shirt - a fantastic part of Bristol City’s history.

It’s a very sad day for all involved with Leeds United, Bristol City, Barnsley, Rotherham and Bradford.

Norman Hunter was a proper hard man who could also play sublime football. I saw a great quote about him earlier - “Norman was a man of steel who could also produce silk...”

Dreadfully upsetting news ...

Awful news and so gutted to hear this.  If there was anyone you’d back to beat this virus it was Norman Hunter.

Thank you for so many fantastic memories and this man was right up up there with the football greats and I’ll always treasure the memories of watching him in a City shirt.

What a larger than life character he was and is absolutely guaranteed to never be forgotten in the football world.

Rest easy Norm and sincere condolences to all his family, friends and fans for this awful loss.

Such a sad day. He joined us with the reputation of being one of THE hard men of football. He didn't disappoint and maintained that reputation. However, he also showed what a class player he was on the ball. He could ping a pass from the back with the precision of Hoddle.

Cheesley wasn't really replaced that first season back in the top flight, so we relied on our defence for survival. Had Norman Hunter not joined us I am convinced we would've gone down easily instead of surviving by the skin of our teeth. His partnership with Collier kept us in the top flight for 3 seasons and it wasn't really a surprise that we went down in the fourth with Collier and Hunter no longer there.

His form for City was so consistently great that I recall that he was the top English defender in the Sunday People performances rankings for the 77-78 season and was in the top handful for the following season too. And there were calls for him to be picked for England again.

What a player.

Norman Hunter RIP

RIP Norman Hunter. One of my childhood icons at City.

With him and Gerry Gow in the side, noone stood a chance. Norman helped turn a weak Div 1 City defence into a half decent unit that helped keep us up when we got back in to Div 1. Such a likeable character. Many happy memories of watching Norm from Dolman B Block as a mad 13 year old City fan with my dad. Sad news. 

best player I ever saw in a city shirt (albeit I only saw Atyeo play once in his testimonial). Great defender but ahead of his time in bringing the ball out of defence indeed he often played in midfield for England as Bobby Moore also played his position. When Norman left at the end of his 3 year contract it contributed greatly to our demise and subsequent relegation from the top flight.

Archived