IGNORED

RIP Norman Hunter

BCFC1512

• SC&T Board Members

Very sad news.

I remember seeing Norman make his first return to Elland Road after signing for us. Leeds ran out first, then City. All but Norman. Then the PA man announced Norman Hunter's name and he ran out on his own to rapturous applause from all four sides of the ground.

It just goes to show what high regard he was held in by Leeds United and their fans, even though he was then playing for the opposition.

You had to see him play to appreciate him. My father was actually in two minds about going to the Gate while he was there. He hated that Leeds side and Hunter was the epitome of it as far as he was concerned. But he relented and we went as usual, at the end of the game he said "well I'll eat my hat, I never realised he could play as well as kick people". I think he became one of his favourite players over the next couple of years.

norman_20200417_125954981.thumb.jpg.c30b9cebe324706e2f9b3fe608e36434.jpg

Found my old programme for Coventry(H) November 6th 1976 Norman's home debut. His first game was at Derby the week before which we lost 2-0 and he was given a load of stick from the home crowd since the season before he had a punch-up with Francis Lee and they both got sent off, I'm sure it was water off a duck's back to Norm. His introduction to the side stemmed the tide of poor results the team had been going through, this game against Coventry was 0-0, a rare clean sheet and was followed up with a 1-0 away win at Tottenham (which was on MOTD) and a home win against Norwich. He was the one player we couldn't replaced, AD tried his best to keep him but he left at the end of 78/79 and the following season we got relegated, without a doubt the best defender I've ever seen in a City shirt.

I started going to the gate in 1977 when I was 5.

My Dad (RIP) used to take me down and we would stand on the corner of the East End. I can remember Norman warming up in front of the East End wearing the red tracksuit top, and always being a full-on player that gave his all.

Fantastic times and memories of a team which were my absolute heroes.

I visited Norman's shop on the Gilda in the following years and once met the man himself. I was absolutely awestruck by this and could only mutter a simple 'hello, I was however rewarded by a signed photo!

RIP Norman, a City legend.

Absolutely devastated with this sad news

I had to stop the car when I heard the announcement of Norman's death, I dwelled up immediately, in the end I drove home in a trance with a heavy heart [IMG]

Not afraid to admit I've been like a blubbering wreck

Such a lovely, gentle, kind man, a true gentleman!

RIP Norman

Thank you Bristol City fans for all your tributes to Norman

R.I.P  Norman. He became my favourite player when at City. A much better footballer than he got credit for. I bought some football boots from his shop in Guilda Parade, and have a signed photo of him.

Condolenses to his family and friends. Thank you Norman for all you did for Bristol City.

The first division days are a bit hazy for me as I was so young although I went most weeks.However my best memory of him was when he was manager of Rotherham in the mid 80’s I think.The roar and greeting he received as he came out of the tunnel was tremendous.I can’t think of too many returning greats receiving such a greeting but shows how highly he was regarded down here.

RIP Norman.

58 minutes ago, 1964w said:

I had to stop the car when I heard the announcement of Norman's death, I dwelled up immediately, in the end I drove home in a trance with a heavy heart [IMG]

RIP Norman

Have felt exactly the same...a very sad day.

1 hour ago, 1964w said:

RIP Norman

Not afraid to say I've been the same. Have shed more than one tear. This has really put me on my arse today.

R.I.P Norman. 

So sad to hear the news today......truly, truly sad.

Never had the privilege to see you play for City, but evidently you are a true legend, and much, much more importantly, a great Human being.

Keep playing up in those clouds NH!

Condolences to all his friends, family and fans of the clubs he blessed with his presence.

Damn Virus.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

You had to see him play to appreciate him. My father was actually in two minds about going to the Gate while he was there. He hated that Leeds side and Hunter was the epitome of it as far as he was concerned. But he relented and we went as usual, at the end of the game he said "well I'll eat my hat, I never realised he could play as well as kick people". I think he became one of his favourite players over the next couple of years.

Agreed you had to see him to appreciate him , said a few weeks ago he was probably the best player I have seen in a City shirt , and in the most successful team in the last hundred years , magical left foot , no one thought we were getting the brilliant player we got , great person as well, , was gutted when I heard RIP Norman 

Just to add -

My memories of Norman in a City shirt, was the City ROAR from around Ashton Gate when Norman used to venture forward with the ball into an attacking midfielder position. He was not just a defender and was ahead of his time in terms of how he used to get forward at any opportunity. 

The fans in the dolman used to love him and he became a real favourite with the dolman fans. Great to see so many warm tributes to him on OTIB as he was a really nice bloke to talk to at his shop. I used to go there and if he was in the shop, I used to be in awe of this man serving me. A real gent. 

Can you imagine a Premiership player running a shop up the Gilda this day in age? How things have changed. 

RIP big man saw your 1st game for City away to Derby, seem to remember you got sent off (put me right if I'm wrong) thought then what a player hard but fair, you were missed when you stopped playing for us, we thought you may become our manager

you will be missed by all fair minded football fans, my respects & thoughts with your family at this sad time

Archived