IGNORED

RIP Norman Hunter

BCFC1512

8 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Anyone on here have memories of Palace away in the FA Cup 1979, when Norman, Tom Ritchie and me (the 17 year old me was bunged out by the police that night, seriously I was :laugh:) got sent off? Shit night all round, but one that sticks in my mind for obvious reasons. Was a bit scary not knowing whether I was gonna be banged up or not. i wasn't and caught the train back with my mates. i'm guessing this was Norman's only sending off in the City shirt. What a bloke though. i think the score was a 3-0 defeat, I might be wrong

I might have this wrong as time tends to play tricks on you but didn’t Norman get sent off with Peter Cormack in an away Anglo Scottish cup game?

10 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I might have this wrong as time tends to play tricks on you but didn’t Norman get sent off with Peter Cormack in an away Anglo Scottish cup game?

Ah, yes maybe then. Odd though, seeing as Norman usually played so fair   :laugh:

I would just like to share my condolences on the very very sad news about the passing of the footballing legend that was the great Norman Hunter.

Norman(bites your legs Hunter) was without a shadow of a doubt one of the if not ‘THE’ greatest player I have ever witnessed playing in a city shirt and this was in the days of the reds competing in the English top tier league division 1.

To sum up this icon I once had the pleasure of being present at a football presentation night where Terry Cooper yet another ex Leeds and City legend was guest speaker and at the time the then city manager. In his speech and the words still ring in my ears to this day he explained that he had always loved playing alongside Norm and indeed in the great Leeds side of that time and that the reputation Norm had acquired as being one of the true hard men of the game was very true but somewhat unjust because what people didn’t realise was that he was that good a player that he could open a tin of beans with his left foot!!!!

Norman thanks for the memories.

On 17/04/2020 at 12:56, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Very, very sad news indeed.

Norman wasn't just a terrific footballer but he was a really good person.

When Norman was preparing to leave Bristol, and move back up North, he put his sports shop in a parade of shops at Whitchurch up for sale. I can't remember the actual address (not being a Bristolian) but from a hazy memory some 45 years later, I think it was the shop lease, the stock and the trading name (Norman Hunter Sports??) that was for sale.

I was in my early 20s, a little unsettled at work and looking for a new challenge so I made an appointment to view it.

I can't recall who I made the appointment with but I think it must have been with a property agent because I clearly recall pitching up there one evening after work and being absolutely surprised and delighted to find that it was my footballing hero and the universally acclaimed legend himself waiting, on his own, to show me around.

Anyone who remembers the shop will remember that it was tiny so that bit didn't take long!

I've never forgotten what happened next though because, once I'd overcome my nervousness, we chatted away for at least 15/20 minutes.

During our chat, Norman asked what I did for a living. He seemed genuinely interested (in my fledgling retail career) and asked me a good few questions before advising me that taking over his shop was not the right thing for me to do and that I should stick with the company that I was with where there would be more opportunities for career progression.

When you're in your early 20s and one of your footballing heroes gives you advice, you take it. I stuck with the company I was with for a further 25 years and things did work out well there (and thereafter).

Over the years, as I've reflected on that almost surreal evening, I've always returned to the appreciation of what a really good person Norman was. He wanted/needed to sell the business but not so much that he'd encourage me, a young lad with a potentially good career ahead of him, to risk taking it over.

A kind and decent man who I've never forgotten and never will forget.

Wonderful story. You should 100% send it to his family somehow. It will be very comforting for them. Thanks for posting.

On 18/04/2020 at 22:06, candygram for mongo said:

Gerry Gow & Alan Walsh.

I just missed the Atyeo years.

With regards to Norman, I think we all expected him to come down here and kick people all over the place, we were in for a big surprise because he could really play and was a joy to watch.

A mate’s dad has been watching City for 75 years, he says Hunter right up there with Atyeo in his opinion

I saw Gerry Gow play in the cup shock at ER when the robins beat Leeds 0-1. If memory serves me right Gow was involved in the move for the winning goal to give Bristol City a deserved victory.

Gow was a terrific Bristol City player, I suspect Lee Johnson would love to have Gow playing in his team today. 

1 hour ago, 1964w said:

I saw Gerry Gow play in the cup shock at ER when the robins beat Leeds 0-1. If memory serves me right Gow was involved in the move for the winning goal to give Bristol City a deserved victory.

Gow was a terrific Bristol City player, I suspect Lee Johnson would love to have Gow playing in his team today. 

He is loved by just about every City fan who saw him play - probably regarded by most as in the top three best City players ever. He`s certainly the best I`ve ever seen (I was just too late to have the pleasure of watching John Atyeo).

3 hours ago, 1964w said:

Yeah I bet LJ would love another top quality keeper to rival DB!!!!!!!

On 18/04/2020 at 15:12, NlGHTMARE said:

We should have been playing Leeds today, if we do play the game I should imagine they’ll be some kind of celebration of his life at the match and rightly so he was brilliant for both clubs, may he rest in peace. 

Nice sentiment, but we would have been playing Stoke City at home on Sat 18 April ...

On 18/04/2020 at 15:12, NlGHTMARE said:

We should have been playing Leeds today, if we do play the game I should imagine they’ll be some kind of celebration of his life at the match and rightly so he was brilliant for both clubs, may he rest in peace. 

I know it will be an emotional day when we return to some sense of normality in our first game back at ER. I suspect the same sadness will be apparent at Oakwell & Ashton Gate as we all come together showing immense respect for one of our heroes

4 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Thats why Terry Cooper should be shown the respect he deserves by our club sooner rather than later

South Stand named after Norman. I sit there and would be a lovely tribute, so what if Leeds have a NH stand, so will we.

3 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

One last walk down the tunnel at Elland Road for Norman yesterday, whatever anyone thinks of Leeds, they’ve done him proud here.

Very Fitting @1964wwhatever the rivalry between our teams, this is a fitting tribute to Norman. You have done him proud. Please pass on our appreciation to all Leeds fans from us City fans. We respect you.

4 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

One last walk down the tunnel at Elland Road for Norman yesterday, whatever anyone thinks of Leeds, they’ve done him proud here.

Got a bit emotional watching this one. He will always be my football hero of all time. 

Lovely to see us football fans coming together through these sad times. So glad you had the pleasure of watching dear Norman & Terry Cooper of course play for the Robins!

Ashton Gate is always one of my favourite grounds to visit.

I often read your OTIB forum & will continue to do so in the future.

All the best when the season resumes.

3 minutes ago, 1964w said:
Lovely to see us football fans coming together through these sad times. So glad you had the pleasure of watching dear Norman & Terry Cooper of course play for the Robins!

Make it known to us when you are coming and we will give you a real West Country welcome.

51 minutes ago, 1964w said:

As well as Norman and Terry, we’ve had quite a few ex-Leeds players who have been simply fantastic for us - Bob Taylor, Joe Jordan, John Shaw, Mark Gavin, Mark Aizlewood and Jimmy Mann spring to mind, there’s probably more .... we’ll forget about Neil Kilkenny!

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As well as Norman and Terry, we’ve had quite a few ex-Leeds players who have been simply fantastic for us - Bob Taylor, Joe Jordan, John Shaw, Mark Gavin, Mark Aizlewood and Jimmy Mann spring to mind, there’s probably more .... we’ll forget about Neil Kilkenny!

We've probably had more ex Leeds players than any other team. David Harle, Gary Hamson and Ronnie Sinclair to name a few.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'd forgotten Joe Jordan had played & managed the robins

Who was the best player out of the six you mentioned for your club?

Archived