IGNORED

RIP Norman Hunter

BCFC1512

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

As did Peter Cormack from Liverpool !!!

Another name from Memory Lane, oh those heady virus free days, please God, may this be a nightmare and I wake up tomorrow to take my seat in Dolman Block B v Liverpool  ( plus a tad younger !!)??

5 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It’s amazing how the amount of money in football has changed since Norman’s day. Today it would be impossible for City to sign a player of his ability from a top club. The same applies to other players of that era that City signed.  I remember England International Joe Royle saying he had a pay rise when he joined City!

In Norman's autobiography he explains what happened. IIRC he quoted he was on £112 per week at Leeds and thought he had hit the jackpot when Coty paid him £130 Pw. That equates to around £32,000 per annum today. £32k per annum not £32k per week like some Championship players 'earn' and who've never worn an England shirt.

The best all-rounder I’ve witnessed at The Gate.

I’m sure he relished the ‘bite your legs’ tag, but he was a cultured player that oozed quality. Tackler, yes, never bottled one but he could head, pass and had a venomous shot on him. Also a great leader of men.

Boy, could we have done with one like ‘our Norman’ over the last couple of seasons.

Get well soon Norm.

If the virus found Boris to be a battler, Norm’s on another level and then some! 

18 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

16 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52244115

And here's the one from the main BBC Sport website, LR. @Ska Junkie just beat me to the other link!

Thanks chaps, when I spotted it it was in the middle of a rolling news thread so I couldn`t see how to cut the bit I wanted out.

So really sad to hear this, it was news I was not wanting to hear. Went to the Baseball Ground to see his first match for us v Derby County. Was booed by County supporters as he had a previous fracas there with Leeds.  RIP Norman Hunter. A true Leeds United, Bristol City, Barnsley and England Legend ?

Archived