Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

RIP Norman Hunter

RIP big man saw your 1st game for City away to Derby, seem to remember you got sent off (put me right if I'm wrong) thought then what a player hard but fair, you were missed when you stopped playing for us, we thought you may become our manager

you will be missed by all fair minded football fans, my respects & thoughts with your family at this sad time

• Like 1

One of the saddest things about this is that Leeds and City fans won`t be able to give the great man the send off he richly deserves.

I hope Leeds can arrange a Memorial Service when all this virus stuff is behind us, maybe at Elland Road - it would need somewhere that big I reckon - and a fair few of us would want to attend I`m sure.

• Like 2

Nice thought on the leeds forum..

SYWhite

• Midfield General
  •  
  • SYWhite
  • 7,920 posts
  4 hours ago, Farmer Giles said:

Nice tribute from Wilko on SSN now, demolishing the nonsense that 'he wouldn't last 5 minutes on the pitch in the modern game'. Quite rightly pointing out that a player of his skill and intelligence can adapt to any playing environment. He did what you did in the 70s and he could equally cope with today's standards if he was playing now

He couldn't play how he did then in today's game but you're right, he had the class to adapt.... couldn't play any other way in that era, dog eat dog.

Also transformed Bristol City in the later stages of his career, well thought of there....and still around our club at 76 👏

Leeds up as champions and Bristol sneak up via the play offs for the big man.

Loved this one too...

Screenshot_20200417_120206.jpg.7540cb551a037b3f48317f1801f34f87.jpg

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

What a player! What an inspiration! He was not only a great player but he made others round him great too. I shall never forget his marauding runs and those fearsome tackles. Wonderful positional sense too!

RIP Norman!

This virus is a complete barsteward and it can just fak off!!!

15 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Mine was Man City at home, 1-0 win .

4-1 win v Bolton 78/79 season, Gerry Gow was also playing in that one. (Although I could swear it was the 77/78 season before looking it up!)

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

He was much more skilful than his “Bit yer legs” name implies. Alf Ramsey played him in midfield in one game against Germany. (Sorry if this has been mentioned). Imagine him in City’s midfield this season! 

• Like 1

So much to say about Norman. But for me,  the key was this. He came to us at the end of his career and, apparently, got a pay rise. But he was about as far from a ‘final pay day’ as you could imagine. He ran through walls for City and never gave less than 100%. And he appreciated the chance and deeply respected the club and us, the fans. And he was not afraid to say so. Forty years later, I can still feel, quite literally, how good it felt that one of the greats was one of our own. Thanks for all the memories, lovely big man.

• Like 12

He was such a great player throughout his career but that was surpassed by his warmth off the pitch. Heaven could witness some great tussles with Norm and Gerry Gow facing Best and Cruyff. RIP big man

Can only echo the thoughts of others in this sad news. Us Briz boys used to stand in line with the left touchline in the East End, Norman would have a little sprint up and down that line as a warm up. He was a fans favourite and we'd chant "Norman, Norman, Norman, Norman", His arm would raise in acknowledgement, brilliant memory of a fantastic servant of our club. RIP.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

4-1 win v Bolton 78/79 season, Gerry Gow was also playing in that one. (Although I could swear it was the 77/78 season before looking it up!)

This one...

Edited by Lew-T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Met him when he was at a dinner for the Downs League at the Gate in 2010, got his book signed. RIP Norm. Reading his book, he described his decision to come to City as the best decision he ever made.

Edited by BS15_RED
1 hour ago, Rich said:

Can only echo the thoughts of others in this sad news. Us Briz boys used to stand in line with the left touchline in the East End, Norman would have a little sprint up and down that line as a warm up. He was a fans favourite and we'd chant "Norman, Norman, Norman, Norman", His arm would raise in acknowledgement, brilliant memory of a fantastic servant of our club. RIP.

From my memory he used to warm up a few yards in from touch line, in line with pillar 6? which was where me and my mates stood every home game.

Loved watching Norman play for City and would certainly include him in my top 3 City players in my lifetime

My absolute favourite player as a kid . I remember standing right at the front in the East End on a stool so I could see over the wall ! Norman would come onto the pitch like a charging Rhino every game and would sprint down the touchline right in front of the enclosure as it was then . RIP Norman , you were the player that ignited my passion for the mighty Reds aged 10 and a bit . Absolute legend . 

• Like 1