IGNORED

Worst sacking of a City manager ever

Unan

31 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

After that woeful performance at the Millennium he had to go, one of the most disappointing days ever following City

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That sounds familiar RE73, I can't remember TBH but Osman sold Andy Cole pretty much immediately IIRC.

It was one dreadful game, albeit a crucial game in an otherwise really enjoyable season. Sure, he got it wrong after his clever substitution in the semi against the Monkey Hangers. 
Such a shame.

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

That sounds familiar RE73, I can't remember TBH but Osman sold Andy Cole pretty much immediately IIRC.

The board sold Cole their eyes lit up at the price tag.

On the other hand Osman did pay my mate who was a youth team player on the verge of the first team to nobble Atteveld, knowing full well he had a temper, giving him just the reason he needed to bin him.off when he reacted. True story. About the only bit itk info I ever got from.the club :)

I’d go with John Ward, I know we were struggling when Benny was brought in, but we’d just won 3 games in a row and after an outstanding season in getting promotion only a few months before, he didn’t deserve to be undermined like that. It’s not as if he’d of done any worse than Benny did either is it?

Not a single sacking has been undeserved in my opinion and I started watching in 1989.  I was gutted when Ward left but he was taking us down, as was Cotterill. Wilson was all style no substance. Lumsden and Osman both out of their depth. SOD tactics were shocking as was McInnes.  Poor signings downfall of latter as well.  

The closest to being harsh was probably Denis Smith I guess. Long winless run though and selection was all over the place if I remember rightly 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

The board sold Cole their eyes lit up at the price tag.

On the other hand Osman did pay my mate who was a youth team player on the verge of the first team to nobble Atteveld, knowing full well he had a temper, giving him just the reason he needed to bin him.off when he reacted. True story. About the only bit itk info I ever got from.the club :)

What was the story with Atteveld and was it Abdul Kamara? And whatever happened to Abdul?

2 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

What was the story with Atteveld and was it Abdul Kamara? And whatever happened to Abdul?

Nope it wasn't Abdul. My mate never got to the first team ended up the usual route for those that don't quite make it. Chippenham Bath Forest Green Rovers.

Basically my mate was given a back hander by Osman to keep kicking Atteveld in the air or leave the boot in in a 11vs11 trading game. Atteveld lamped my mate. He was persuaded to leave rather than it go down the legal route.

Dirty tricks on Osman's part, but they though Ray was feigning injury after he came back from his main injury and was just picking up a paycheck and happy not to play.

Hey the idea could have come from.the boardroom given their part in slashing Osman's wage budget. All I know is the idea came from Osman and my mate was the one given the brief to do it as he was one of the bigger youth/reserve team players

God knows what happened to Kamara. One of the names you wanted to come good back then.

I remember them signing Henry Mckop back then with the idea that they could sign Agent Sawu off the back of it. Sawu turned us down and we were left with Mckop :laugh:

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And never included an add-on clause in the deal with Newcastle..........and they then sold him to Manchester United for mega bucks.....................:disapointed2se:

Yep. Lesson well and truly learned. I don't think we ever made that mistake again.

Still we made nearly 3 times what we paid for him. Back then it was huge money bought for 500k sold for 1.75 million.

I am guessing arsenal had a sell and and were not quite as tinpot as we were :)

6 minutes ago, TRL said:

Nope it wasn't Abdul. My mate never got to the first team ended up the usual route for those that don't quite make it. Chippenham Bath Forest Green Rovers.

Basically my mate was given a back hander by Osman to keep kicking Atteveld in the air or leave the boot in in a 11vs11 trading game. Atteveld lamped my mate. He was persuaded to leave rather than it go down the legal route.

Dirty tricks on Osman's part, but they though Ray was feigning injury after he came back from his main injury and was just picking up a paycheck and happy not to play.

Hey the idea could have come from.the boardroom given their part in slashing Osman's wage budget. All I know is the idea came from Osman and my mate was the one given the brief to do it as he was one of the bigger youth/reserve team players

God knows what happened to Kamara. One of the names you wanted to come good back then.

I remember them signing Henry Mckop back then with the idea that they could sign Agent Sawu off the back of it. Sawu turned us down and we were left with Mckop :laugh:

Incredible story and nice memory shared, McKop what a donkey, who was that other Mc who was under Osman, that’s its Rodney McAree, got from Liverpool didn’t we? Tipped to be next big thing..

anyway back in subject I think Benny leaving was sad, though I think getting him in was a bit ahead of its time

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think their man was lined up ready to go and it was just a case of waiting for an excuse to sack Cotts. 

I love Lansdown for what he’s done for us, but that was not nice. 

As I’m led to believe, Mark Ashton was already “assisting” SL before Xmas, but was looking to ease the way for Appleton to come onboard.

3 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Incredible story and nice memory shared, McKop what a donkey, who was that other Mc who was under Osman, that’s its Rodney McAree, got from Liverpool didn’t we? Tipped to be next big thing..

anyway back in subject I think Benny leaving was sad, though I think getting him in was a bit ahead of its time

Aye Rodney Macree played maybe twice. And Sean Rouse England U21 captain from Rangers.. never played!

Benny was never hired as a manager and wasnt expecting to manage. Felt a little sorry for him. Hang out to dry really. I'd love to have seen what he would have done the following season. If it wasnt for him I don't reckon Brennan would ever of come through. Knee jerk reaction that left us marooned in that division for years

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As I’m led to believe, Mark Ashton was already “assisting” SL before Xmas, but was looking to ease the way for Appleton to come onboard.

I could never imagine Cotterill and Ashton working together,, that’s for sure!

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If anyone then John Ward, as he was replaced with far worse and we went down.

Plus I felt sorry for him that Toney Thorpe and maybe others were bought in the summer that he didn't even want here.

All that investment by Davidson, but terrible recruitment.

He wasnt replaced though. And that is the sad thing for both Ward and Benny. Benny was never here to be manager and Ward rightly or wrongly would not accept a Director of Football, or rather he would, but one of his choosing.

What  a comedy of errors by all involved!

6 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Going to be quite unpopular this one.

Benny Lennartson.

Yes, he wasn’t sacked but he left when we appointed Pulis (as BL was supposed to be DoF but had to step up after Ward had his hissy fit), but during his time in charge I could see where we were going - he was all in on the youth philosophy with a footballing mentality and we got rid of that for a hoofball merchant who signed journeymen.

I think Benny leaving and Pulis coming in was the worst trade off in my time watching City.

If one considers the implications of the resultant trade off then in City's last 40 odd years this has to be up there.

6 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Given the path that his career has taken him since 1982, Roy Hodgson could also be seen as a good shout.

I thought he just walked or it was mutual because the club could not pay him enough or we could not bring in the players. Shocking timing anyway for him and Bob Houghton. 

5 hours ago, Galway Red said:

After that woeful performance at the Millennium he had to go, one of the most disappointing days ever following City

Especially as Leroy was not even on the bench, this for me was the last straw for him and a real suicide note.

12 hours ago, Seneca the Younger said:

What is it with you and this Sunderland forum?!

Hmm, I think all of them since I've been watching (2005ish) have been justified.

You could argue Cotterill and Johnson were unlucky, however I think the mood at the club had shifted and their position had become very difficult.

In some ways Del McInnes was unlucky - I get the impression he had an awful lot to contend with which most of us aren't privy to. We were on a horrible downward spiral at that time and he inherited it.

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was one dreadful game, albeit a crucial game in an otherwise really enjoyable season. Sure, he got it wrong after his clever substitution in the semi against the Monkey Hangers. 
Such a shame.

I think, personally, people get really muddled looking back at the Danny Wilson era.

We were quite a functional, and at times defensive, side in his final season In charge. Our central pair - Burnell and Doherty - seldom crossed the halfway line!

We had the golden 11-game winning run - during which something like seven winning goals came in the final 15 minutes - but for much of the campaign we had mid-table form. That spell really papered over a lot of cracks and the fact we lost five of the seven matches that followed it - which in turn saw us sip back into the play-offs - told its own story.

The season before that, which ended with us losing to Cardiff in the play-off semi-finals, was way better in terms of entertainment. We scored more than 100 goals and the two Mansfield games (5-4 and 5-2) summed us up given they got relegated!

It was almost like Danny shut up shop after that - albeit we did kick off with that 5-0 home win over Notts County.

11 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Going to be quite unpopular this one.

Benny Lennartson.

Yes, he wasn’t sacked but he left when we appointed Pulis (as BL was supposed to be DoF but had to step up after Ward had his hissy fit), but during his time in charge I could see where we were going - he was all in on the youth philosophy with a footballing mentality and we got rid of that for a hoofball merchant who signed journeymen.

I think Benny leaving and Pulis coming in was the worst trade off in my time watching City.

Benny was arguably a victim of an early version of the five pillars. He tried to bring youth through and to be honest towards the end of the season the results weren't reflecting the performances. I genuinely believe that if he'd been allowed to continue his rebuild he would-be taken us back up.

Given that we got relegated, I'm not sure harsh is the right word as the results justified the move. The biggest mistake followed just after with the phone call that went "Sorry Mr Moyes, don't bother flying back for an interview, we've given the job to Tiny Penis" ??

11 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

In 2 minds about Benny, on the one hand he really got Jim Brennan playing well, we scored quite a few goals, but even the introduction of Sebok and Ivan around New Year did not shore up our defensive and midfield frailties.  We had some atrocious luck (that last minute 2-2 draw at West Brom, when Mickey Bell broke his leg and Ivan got a bad knee injury ), but it is a results business and I think we were about 17th when Benny took over and we ended up rock bottom.

On balance I think he had to go.

It’s interesting, I wonder if Benny should’ve gone. At the the time the ship was always going to sink sadly, so why not let him try to properly rebuild?

Theres never a right answer

13 hours ago, archie andrews said:

maybe dicks should have had more time.....

Interesting thought.

Some people have suggested that after the Great Escape in May 77, the Board should have thanked AD for all he had done, but then pay him off and bring in an experienced top flight Manager.

13 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think their man was lined up ready to go and it was just a case of waiting for an excuse to sack Cotts. 

I love Lansdown for what he’s done for us, but that was not nice. 

Bollocks.

We'd been utterly abysmal under Cotterill at this level and had spent the majority of the season in the relegation zone.

13 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You could be right - the football was fun certainly - but his situation became untenable after the Lita/play off debacle  IMO.

I’ve never come away from a game so depressed in all my years of watching city. We should have won that game but don’t think we a had a short on target 

20 minutes ago, swanker said:

I’ve never come away from a game so depressed in all my years of watching city. We should have won that game but don’t think we a had a short on target 

Still don’t understand why Lita wasn’t on the bench, he played an unfit Lee Miller and had no strikers on the bench. 

8 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Still don’t understand why Lita wasn’t on the bench, he played an unfit Lee Miller and had no strikers on the bench. 

There have been all sorts of rumours doing the rounds since, mostly revolving around some unspecified breach of club regulations. We might find out if Danny Wilson ever publishes an autobiography I guess.

Archived