IGNORED

Worst sacking of a City manager ever

Unan

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Bollocks.

We'd been utterly abysmal under Cotterill at this level and had spent the majority of the season in the relegation zone.

We weren’t very good results-wise, but we played entertaining football (in the main), and just like the LJ side in its losing run, couldn’t buy a result.  We weren’t utterly abysmal imo.

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Going to be quite unpopular this one.

Benny Lennartson.

Yes, he wasn’t sacked but he left when we appointed Pulis (as BL was supposed to be DoF but had to step up after Ward had his hissy fit), but during his time in charge I could see where we were going - he was all in on the youth philosophy with a footballing mentality and we got rid of that for a hoofball merchant who signed journeymen.

I think Benny leaving and Pulis coming in was the worst trade off in my time watching City.

I may have this wrong, but I remember going away to WBA and we were down 1-0 HT, and from what I recall our second half performance was superb and we went 2-1 up. Then good old Hughes scored in the 98th minute to make it 2-2. It was so unjustified, and it was one of the best halves of football I can remember from us - I am unsure if I have convinced myself it was that good, when maybe it wasn't?

Anyone remember if I am correct or totally wrong?

57 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I may have this wrong, but I remember going away to WBA and we were down 1-0 HT, and from what I recall our second half performance was superb and we went 2-1 up. Then good old Hughes scored in the 98th minute to make it 2-2. It was so unjustified, and it was one of the best halves of football I can remember from us - I am unsure if I have convinced myself it was that good, when maybe it wasn't?

It was good plus we gad Mickey Bell and Ivan injured during that match. Ref kept playing tell they scored it seemed.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

We had an unlucky two week spell which possibly sealed it.

You're right about West Brom. Lee Hughes and that bloody ref, played on and on...until 2-2. Felt like that anyway!

Also either the week before or week  after we played runaway leaders Sunderland at home. About to get a great point at home to keep a mini run ticking along. Surely they'd outplayed us significantly during the game but a priceless point is a priceless point eh?

Except it wasn't as they won with a last minute penalty!!

Found a report from said Sunderland game. Seemed 2nd half we competed better than I remembered. Penalty was controversial too.

https://www.football.co.uk/amp_3706914.shtm

Those two weeks probably sealed it, in hindsight.

15 hours ago, Galway Red said:

After that woeful performance at the Millennium he had to go, one of the most disappointing days ever following City

Totally agree picked a side not to lose instead of picking a team to win the game, we lost in the worst play off final of all time

3 hours ago, 22A said:

Interesting thought.

Some people have suggested that after the Great Escape in May 77, the Board should have thanked AD for all he had done, but then pay him off and bring in an experienced top flight Manager.

Interesting stuff back then. He was not supported by the board.

I can remember the wonderful Norman Hunter retiring, a massive loss obviously. Dicks (who was 100k UP on his transfer deals), wanted to buy a young Scottish central defender. His request was denied. He would have cost 100k.

His name was Willie Miller, the same Willie Miller that went on to have a brilliant career and record caps for Scotland

Just the sort of player we needed.

The board then sacked him. Who knows what would have happened had they backed him instead.

I thought the Thickett sacking in October 1910 was pretty poor. In his five years at the helm he got us promoted as champions of the second tier - something we have never done since - in his first season and then finished runners-up in our first bite at the top tier, which would be a CL spot today, and is our highest ever finish to a season - If you discount the post season tour of Zimbabwe in 1994, about 5,000 feet above sea level  and then an FA Cup Final two years later. 

Ok we were struggling at the start of the 1910-11 season, but October is still a bit early in the season and to get the boot after a 1-0 defeat at Notts County when the ref made a pig's ear of the game's duration having forgotten to add on the minutes the game was delayed so the players and spectators could watch a plane that was flying over the ground (a very rare event in 1910...as it is in 2020 come to think of it), was a tad harsh and seeing we were relegated anyway. 

What's even more shocking is that with such a great managerial record he wasn't snapped up by one of the big clubs of the day. In fact he wasn't snapped up at all. He then became a publican in Trowbridge.

Both the Ward and Lennartsson sackings were just wrong change at the wrong time.

Ward had deserved time to adapt to the division and Lennartsson seemed to be making belated progress.  

The harshest by a mile was Cotterill's.  Victim of his own success and the sly corporate culture that was taking over.  If we'd bumbled along in the play offs in League 1 for 2 seasons , he would have lasted longer. Wasn't just the sacking but the way he was undermined. He wouldn't have taken us down, He would have forced the issue to the point of getting his own way and therefore being able to keep us up or walking.  That's why he was sacked.  

9 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I thought the Thickett sacking in October 1910 was pretty poor. In his five years at the helm he got us promoted as champions of the second tier - something we have never done since - in his first season and then finished runners-up in our first bite at the top tier, which would be a CL spot today, and is our highest ever finish to a season - If you discount the post season tour of Zimbabwe in 1994, about 5,000 feet above sea level  and then an FA Cup Final two years later. 

Ok we were struggling at the start of the 1910-11 season, but October is still a bit early in the season and to get the boot after a 1-0 defeat at Notts County when the ref made a pig's ear of the game's duration having forgotten to add on the minutes the game was delayed so the players and spectators could watch a plane that was flying over the ground (a very rare event in 1910...as it is in 2020 come to think of it), was a tad harsh and seeing we were relegated anyway. 

What's even more shocking is that with such a great managerial record he wasn't snapped up by one of the big clubs of the day. In fact he wasn't snapped up at all. He then became a publican in Trowbridge.

Brilliant. It seems like it was only yesterday. Didn't he give Tinnion his debut?

16 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

I’d go with John Ward, I know we were struggling when Benny was brought in, but we’d just won 3 games in a row and after an outstanding season in getting promotion only a few months before, he didn’t deserve to be undermined like that. It’s not as if he’d of done any worse than Benny did either is it?

Unfortunately JW shot himself in the foot , as did Cotts , Wilson , Smith and Johnson.

( hang on a bit for Johnson just until it becomes clear that he is behind the corona virus pandemic ) 

Benny came in at the the time we were a drinking club. He had to start pre season training during the season, players refused training twice a day as it would disturb their golfing, people throwing up at training having been out in Birmingham all night. Biggest concern the older players disunderstanding of the game. Like talking to eight year olds.

Think TC could have been given until the end of 87-88 season to try and reach the play offs that JJ managed after coming in as caretaker. Bit of an anti climax for Coops after all he had done for the club. Went on to do OK at Birmingham afterwards

5 hours ago, wood_red said:

The start of the second half was slightly delayed, due to crowd “disturbance” (still don’t know how anyone can walk over netting, after 9 pints of cider!) and although we had a couple of bad injuries, the game seemed to go on for ever!

I remember that the clock on the scoreboard continued to tick, even after 90 minutes, so no hiding the time played!

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

The start of the second half was slightly delayed, due to crowd “disturbance” (still don’t know how anyone can walk over netting, after 9 pints of cider!) and although we had a couple of bad injuries, the game seemed to go on for ever!

I remember that the clock on the scoreboard continued to tick, even after 90 minutes, so no hiding the time played!

Think he scored on 97:20

On 10/04/2020 at 21:09, Fordy62 said:

I think their man was lined up ready to go and it was just a case of waiting for an excuse to sack Cotts. 

I love Lansdown for what he’s done for us, but that was not nice. 

Cotterill getting sacked totally changed my way of thinking re City. 

I honestly thought we were better than that.

He had given us long suffering fans the best season in decades ( imo) and deserved to be treated with far more respect than I feel he got given. 

That was the moment I thought I just couldn’t carry on travelling to Ashton Gate after 40 years of doing it. 

I still say he shouldn't have been backed by SL, and worst of all SL bought in a manager that was a ‘mate’ rather than actually looking around for quality. 

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Cotterill getting sacked totally changed my way of thinking re City. 

I honestly thought we were better than that.

He had given us long suffering fans the best season in decades ( imo) and deserved to be treated with far more respect than I feel he got given. 

That was the moment I thought I just couldn’t carry on travelling to Ashton Gate after 40 years of doing it. 

I still say he should have been backed by SL, and worst of all SL bought in a manager that was a ‘mate’ rather than actually looking around for quality. 

SCs sacking has been discussed on here numerous times so I must assume that you missed those threads..........:cool2:

Cotterill was sacked because he reneged on his assurances at interview that he’d implement SLs strategy of buying youngsters, developing them into Championship quality or selling them on if they don’t make the grade.

He failed deliver and because of that SL lost any trust in him and employed a man who knows Bristol City well and who he trusts to implement his sustainability strategy and nobody can deny that LJ has done exactly what it says on the tin.

On 10/04/2020 at 20:23, archie andrews said:

maybe dicks should have had more time.....

Or less. We could've bombed Dicksy out in '74, and approached Brian Howard Clough, languishing in Div 3 at Brighton, or in the four months he was doing nothing between leaving Leeds and going to Forest. 

Or in '78, we might've approached St. Mirren, asking to speak to their young, up and coming manager.

"It doesn't work like that, mate" I know, I know ..... too much time on me hands ..... need to get out more .....

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

SCs sacking has been discussed on here numerous times so I must assume that you missed those threads..........:cool2:

Cotterill was sacked because he reneged on his assurances at interview that he’d implement SLs strategy of buying youngsters, developing them into Championship quality or selling them on if they don’t make the grade.

He failed deliver and because of that SL lost any trust in him and employed a man who knows Bristol City well and who he trusts to implement his sustainability strategy and nobody can deny that LJ has done exactly what it says on the tin.

What youngsters has LJ brought through the academy and developed? I can't think of many bar Lloyd Kelly. Genuine question. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Ryan Fredericks was 22, Luke Freeman, he was 22 when SC signed him; Ayling was 23; Korey Smith, he was 23; Wilbraham, he was knocking on a bit though, I'll give you that. Wade, too. Looked after the younger ones well, them two, mind.

Harry Maguire, he was 22 when Cotts tried to sign him. Andre Gray was 23/24; Kodjia was 25, getting on a bit, but he "developed" rather well, as it turnt out, and swiftly, too.

After signing Adam El Abd, I thought he did ok with the "signing young uns we can improve" thing. That Maguire would've been a good one ......

11 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Ryan Fredericks was 22, Luke Freeman, he was 22 when SC signed him; Ayling was 23; Korey Smith, he was 23; Wilbraham, he was knocking on a bit though, I'll give you that. Wade, too. Looked after the younger ones well, them two, mind.

Harry Maguire, he was 22 when Cotts tried to sign him. Andre Gray was 23/24; Kodjia was 25, getting on a bit, but he "developed" rather well, as it turnt out, and swiftly, too.

After signing Adam El Abd, I thought he did ok with the "signing young uns we can improve" thing. That Maguire would've been a good one ......

Add Jessie Lingard to that too, not a 'great' player relative to Man Utd but would've certainly been very good for us.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/transfer-talk/news/bristol-city-to-make-jesse-lingard-move_237340.html

Apologies for the scum.. https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/football/144036/robins-on-gard/

20 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Add Jessie Lingard to that too, not a 'great' player relative to Man Utd but would've certainly been very good for us.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-utd/transfer-talk/news/bristol-city-to-make-jesse-lingard-move_237340.html

Apologies for the scum.. https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/football/144036/robins-on-gard/

One for the future 

12 hours ago, Redpool said:

What youngsters has LJ brought through the academy and developed? I can't think of many bar Lloyd Kelly. Genuine question. 

Brownhill, bought young and relatively cheap. 

We have to remember that it’s not always first teamers that fill the sustainability bill and nor are these players all academy graduates. 

37 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Brownhill, bought young and relatively cheap. 

We have to remember that it’s not always first teamers that fill the sustainability bill and nor are these players all academy graduates. 

So just 1 other then? Kelly & Brownhill in over 4 years or so...

Hardly a HC known for nursing academy/young players into stable, good first team players.

I don't think our academy has actually been that prolific in the last 4 years. I see no one emerging to break into the first team. Closest we have had is Semenyo, and he looks miles off to being Championship standard. 

5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Hardly a HC known for nursing academy/young players into stable, good first team players.

I don't think our academy has actually been that prolific in the last 4 years. I see no one emerging to break into the first team. Closest we have had is Semenyo, and he looks miles off to being Championship standard. 

There`s an argument for Joe Morrell - he just needs to be given a chance IMO. Max O`Leary too.

9 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Reid, Bryan and Kelly were all academy graduates.

Archived