IGNORED

City players who's careers had a rapid decline post AG

Unan

6 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

How have any of these three had a "rapid decline" since leaving City? All three currently play at the same level they played at when they left us, and Reid has had a season at the very top. All three probably earn more than they did with us. Pack and Flint with us where solid but not spectacular championship players, at the very worst they've stood still. You cannot say they've declined.

I was going to quote all 3 of those players if you hadn’t. They are all playing for a team who are literally just behind us. Hardly a rapid decline. 

8 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

As another involved in the "incident", and bearing in mind he was a top player for us for a few years, I would put forward Bradley Orr. Bradders was only 27 when he left and had a bit of a nothing career after that.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt simply because he went to the qpr team what won promotion to the Premier league and then went to Blackburn who themselves were in the Premier league too. Granted, according to Wikipedia, he only played 70 times in 5 seasons for those clubs but I think its fair to say he didn't fall into the catagory of the others we've named. 

23 hours ago, Redpool said:

Not many players have gone on to do better since leaving City. Not sure if that says more about them or more about us..

Sean Goater , Wayne Allison, Andy Cole, Gerry Gow. I could go on but you get the picture, loads of city players have gone on to do very well for themselves.

When the Ashton 8 tore up their contracts, I thought that as they had several years experience in the top division, some at least  would be snapped up by higher teams, but that didn't happen.

Chris Garland went to Hong Kong, Jimmy Mann moved to Scunthorpe, Ray Cashley crossed town to join Rovers and teamed up with Don Gillies who had moved there the previous season.  Clive Whitehead went to WBA for a fraction of his true value as City were desperate for cash.The previous season Man C realised this and had paid just £100K for Gerry Gow.

8 minutes ago, 22A said:

When the Ashton 8 tore up their contracts, I thought that as they had several years experience in the top division, some at least  would be snapped up by higher teams, but that didn't happen.

Chris Garland went to Hong Kong, Jimmy Mann moved to Scunthorpe, Ray Cashley crossed town to join Rovers and teamed up with Don Gillies who had moved there the previous season.  Clive Whitehead went to WBA for a fraction of his true value as City were desperate for cash.The previous season Man C realised this and had paid just £100K for Gerry Gow.

There wasn’t enough money in football for Sir Gerry’s real value but to put it into perspective a little bit , we paid £ 90,000 for Joe Royle who was an experienced international having played all his career at the top division.

So £100,000 wasn’t too bad a fee . 

Guess you could say Murray after his first spell, from his interview a while back he said he was out the team, later same season manager was bringing in another winger and had accepted an offer from us for him to come back

3 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Scott Brown too

On a side note, it was very sad to see him break his leg at Ashton Gate playing for Cheltenham. A few months ago I was working up north and decided to head to The Shay to watch Halifax v Harrogate Town, it wasn't a great game but with around 15 mins to play on comes Scott Brown for Harrogate Town, he played really well, was good to see him out there.

13 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

How have any of these three had a "rapid decline" since leaving City? All three currently play at the same level they played at when they left us, and Reid has had a season at the very top. All three probably earn more than they did with us. Pack and Flint with us where solid but not spectacular championship players, at the very worst they've stood still. You cannot say they've declined.

A contentious opinion I know re: Aden Flint and I was a fan of him but I wouldn't say he's kicked on and bettered himself since leaving and arguably has regressed.  I don't think he'd get into our side now.

Don't think wages can be used as a true indicator of player status/ability IMO

Fair do's though, not a rapid decline as you say

9 hours ago, The Batman said:

I gave him the benefit of the doubt simply because he went to the qpr team what won promotion to the Premier league and then went to Blackburn who themselves were in the Premier league too. Granted, according to Wikipedia, he only played 70 times in 5 seasons for those clubs but I think its fair to say he didn't fall into the catagory of the others we've named. 

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

In the Prem with Blackburn no ? 

Point taken as Bradders career after us doesn't really fit the title of the thread, which signifies a total car crash of a career after leaving us.  I  would say though that 6 Prem appearances for QPR and 12 for Blackburn may have been a bit of a disappointment.  TBH I did not realise he had racked up that many appearances in the Prem, so fair enough.  I thought it was more of a Matt Hill top flight career at Wolves (2 Prem appearances, one against Man Utd IIRC).

18 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Jordan Wynter, been dropping down a league almost every season since he left us. I also think, despite a decent season at Villa, we got the best out of Kodjia

This is a key point, and something the club should be praised for.

We do seem (of late) to be selling players for top money who are at their peak and it's downhill from there.

Granted, there will be some (like Kelly) who you will expect to push on, but very few players seem to leave us and move up a gear.

37 minutes ago, jrabrewer said:

A fair few from the Wilson era I reckon, Danny Coles, Tommy Doherty, Aaron Brown, even Lita to an extent. All tipped for big things and never fulfilled potential

Even players like Joe Burnell, Alex mecham etc 

We had a lot of players who played a lot for us but no one else. 

Archived