IGNORED

Acronyms

Leaning To One Side

Does the increasing use of acronyms in everyday life drive anyone else mad?

You can probably guess I'm from the older generation 

I find myself having to try and decipher what people are saying and completely get the wrong end of the stick.  As an example in another thread someone has just posted "NFI", given the context of the thread I'm guessing this means "not f*cking interested" or am I completely wrong?

Would love it if we could go back to speaking/writing in lovely plain English :laugh: (sorry)

29 minutes ago, Leaning To One Side said:

I find myself having to try and decipher what people are saying and completely get the wrong end of the stick.  As an example in another thread someone has just posted "NFI", given the context of the thread I'm guessing this means "not f*cking interested" or am I completely wrong?

Would love it if we could go back to speaking/writing in lovely plain English :laugh: (sorry)

Tend to agree. I work as a consultant to several London Councils and it's like talking in another language FFS .......oops sorry.

Can I just say that we need to be clear on the difference between an acronym and an initialism. 

But both are annoying. To be fair (TBF) though, who hasn't been guilty of using them in a work environment?

4 hours ago, Leaning To One Side said:

FYI, IDC. 

SCNR.

13 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

I remember ACAB used to be a popular tattoo back in the 70's!

Back in the day someone was arrested and brought to trial for behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace for wearing a badge with ACAB on it.  In court his defence was that he could not possibly be accused of causing public offence to the policeman because he didn’t ask what ACAB stood for on his badge, and suggested it could stand for All Canadians Are Buddhists. He got off...

Archived