IGNORED

City Players Extra 6 Weeks in Lockdown

Robin101

56 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I agree players contracts should be extended, but can the league overwrite employment law? 

I just think it will be difficult to find a compromise. If your Stoke would you want a fit Afobe playing for you, if your a club at the top of the league would you be happy if we were allowed to extend the loan and have him score the goals potentially when he isn’t our player anymore.

Hopefully what I’m suggesting isn’t breaking any law. Rather than a blanket extension by the league, it is a choice of a player and club.

If either party won’t extend, then contract ends. They are free to sign for another club, but won’t be eligible to play until next season.

If they extend it can be until end of season (eg another month or two) or they can sign a totally new deal.

Does that make sense?  Nobody is forced to do anything. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hopefully what I’m suggesting isn’t breaking any law. Rather than a blanket extension by the league, it is a choice of a player and club.

If either party won’t extend, then contract ends. They are free to sign for another club, but won’t be eligible to play until next season.

If they extend it can be until end of season (eg another month or two) or they can sign a totally new deal.

Does that make sense?  Nobody is forced to do anything. 

But "next season" starts on Jul 1. That is already written into thousands of players contracts and the authorities have no power to amend contracts without the express consent of the two parties to that contract, the player and the club.

10 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

But "next season" starts on Jul 1. That is already written into thousands of players contracts and the authorities have no power to amend contracts without the express consent of the two parties to that contract, the player and the club.

It's a global pandemic- worst in a century.

These are far from normal times and as such, football to me is fairly entitled to if necessary make small adjustments.

Say it finishes mid to late July, the season. That's another few weeks or so. Just push things on by a month or 2.

7 minutes ago, HiddenGem7 said:

Without knowing the true wording of a football player’s contract (although I have seen one - should’ve looked closer!!), I would expect the contract to specify a date rather than season. “End of season” is too woolly I’d have thought.  Registration might be a very different thing.

Fifa, etc have already communicated (6th April) that the season is no longer forced to end on 30.06, allowing each country to decide their own fate.

As I’ve mentioned in my other posts above I’m not suggesting the authorities extend contracts...it must be a club / player mutually agreed decision.

Archived