IGNORED

Peter Bonetti RIP

Ronnie Sinclair

The first time I saw him play live was for Chelsea Youth (Under 18) in the FA Youth Cup Semi Final at Ashton Gate in 1959-60 season.

We got a complete forward line of 'Lou' Peters, Brian Clark, Terry Bush, Adrian Williams and Jantzen Derrick.

Chelsea had Bonetti in goal, one of the Harris brothers at full back, Bert Murray, Terry Venables, Bobby Tambling up front.

Attendance if memory is correct was around 19,000 but Chelsea won over two legs. I was 16 years at the time so all the players were born within a year or two of me. I was just plain jealous at how good they were compared with me but a cracking game.

Thanks for the memories Peter. 

What a fantastic goalkeeper Peter Bonetti was - made around 600 appearances for Chelsea.

I couldn’t believe it when people tried to blame him when West Germany knocked England out at the 1970 World Cup - we lost that game when we inexplicably took Bobby Charlton off - that allowed Beckenbauer free reign to charge forward, which he did, and that won the game for the Germans.

Rest easy Peter - a superb custodian 

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What a fantastic goalkeeper Peter Bonetti was - made around 600 appearances for Chelsea.

I couldn’t believe it when people tried to blame him when West Germany knocked England out at the 1970 World Cup - we lost that game when we inexplicably took Bobby Charlton off - that allowed Beckenbauer free reign to charge forward, which he did, and that won the game for the Germans.

Rest easy Peter - a superb custodian 

If memory serves, I think a certain Jurgen Grabowski, a fresh, substitute winger playing against a clearly tiring Terry Cooper might have had quite some influence on the game. 

Archived