IGNORED

Best City goal you missed

Unan

Think it was a penalty, so in terms of skill it wouldn't have been particularly good, it's more what the goal meant. But the goal from our boxing day win in 2013/14.

Had only missed one home game that season, which was the Crawley game- our only home league win at that point.

On boxing day I was running late because of a bus being late and was walking through the turnstiles as the penalty was taken, missing the only goal of the game in a 1-0 win.

So the first league win I saw that season (where I actually saw the goals) was the Stevanage game on the 29th December. 

22 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

JET vs the Gas, don't even remember why I missed the game but I had to.

A mate of mine did too. IIRC it was moved to the Wednesday (?) for Sky at fairly short notice and he had arranged the Tuesday night off work and couldn`t change it. I expect there were a few like that.

This season, Brownhills winner v Charlton. It was 1-1 and we were down to 10 men so we left as soon as the board went up for injury time. Got to the Statue when the goal went in. I found it surprising how little reaction there was from fans outside, whereas if we had actually seen it happen we would have been going mad.

I was in the Dolman bogs when Trundle scored v Palace.....there were a lot of us in there and time stood still as the noise from outside grew from a loud rumble of expectation as Trundle shaped to shoot to a massive roar as the ball hit the back of the net....cue a rush to lace up and get up the steps to join in the celebrations.....it was not the first goal missed by being in the toilet but probably the most important...

10 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

This season, Brownhills winner v Charlton. It was 1-1 and we were down to 10 men so we left as soon as the board went up for injury time. Got to the Statue when the goal went in. I found it surprising how little reaction there was from fans outside, whereas if we had actually seen it happen we would have been going mad.

Me too, I was out on the street when I heard the roar, I didn’t think the roar was particularly loud and feared it was Charlton who’d scored until someone said it was Brownhill. First of all I celebrated, then preceded to bollock my mate for convincing me that the game was done, and to head for home!

In terms of best one I truly missed.  Marlon Pack’s header v Man City.  I had tickets, got all the way to Winterstoke Road with 1hr to kick-off before being told Ashton Road was closed etc and no cars could get closer to the ground.  As my parking space was in the club car park, I argued, but police were having none of it.  No other routes to the car park available.  Tried for 45 minutes to find a parking space anywhere, even as far as away Dean Lane by Asda, before giving up and driving home to watch it on tv.

I have 2 goals that I missed

David Seal v Stockport ? at home in the 80’s, due to a toilet break, apparently it was a screamer from distance.

Jimmy Mann v Forest, I wasn’t in the stadium as I was playing football elsewhere, again a screamer from distance.

To this day I have never seen either goal on tv or any other platform.

4 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

I was in the Dolman bogs when Trundle scored v Palace.....there were a lot of us in there and time stood still as the noise from outside grew from a loud rumble of expectation as Trundle shaped to shoot to a massive roar as the ball hit the back of the net....cue a rush to lace up and get up the steps to join in the celebrations.....it was not the first goal missed by being in the toilet but probably the most important...

I hope that you washed your hands!

16 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

I have 2 goals that I missed

David Seal v Stockport ? at home in the 80’s, due to a toilet break, apparently it was a screamer from distance.

Jimmy Mann v Forest, I wasn’t in the stadium as I was playing football elsewhere, again a screamer from distance.

To this day I have never seen either goal on tv or any other platform.

I don’t think you missed David Seal scoring for us in the 80’s..!

21 minutes ago, UK0wnag3 said:

That Freeman volley VS Ipswich

Was going back to work after the game but had a few messages around HT, decided I needed to head back a little earlier. Heard it on the radio as I pulled away.

“A little earlier” he scored in the 72nd minute..! 

It was a scrappy goal, but I was gutted when I missed our 2nd v Walsall at Wembley in 2015 - my young daughter needed the toilet at h-t and we didn’t quite make it back in time - we got to the top of the concourse steps as everyone was celebrating. Bloody children. 

3 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Did you get the job?

Nope and I was glad not to. As the business, workplace environment and location did not suit me. If I was offered the job I would of hated it. So I am glad the decision was taken away from me. Making the whole situation bloody worse if anything... 

8 hours ago, 22A said:

I was working THAT Tuesday night in April 1976, so didn't see THAT goal v  Pompey.. My mate who did go, was still queuing outside when the goal was scored.

I was a queue that night too waiting to get in - but still a great night as far as I can remember!

Donny Gillies winner against Leeds in the FA Cup 5th round replay on 19 February 1974.  Played in the afternoon due to the power strike I had to attend school. I actually played hockey for George Ward against Corsham that afternoon and heard the goal on the coach radio on the way back after our game. 

40 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Donny Gillies winner against Leeds in the FA Cup 5th round replay on 19 February 1974.  Played in the afternoon due to the power strike I had to attend school. I actually played hockey for George Ward against Corsham that afternoon and heard the goal on the coach radio on the way back after our game. 

16 at the time,  and for some reason was off school, (power cuts spring to mind) and on way back home from fishing trip to Abbots pool with transistor radio strapped to bars of bike, nearly fell off celebrating like a loon hearing score.

Archived