IGNORED

City V Cardiff 1970

Rich

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Gerry Sharpe, last minute...........1-0   !

Going on the other thread goals you've missed this was one for me.

My Dad was always an early leaver, I was 14 at the time and can still remember the roar from inside the ground from two streets away.

The worst though was missing the Fulham 6/0 game, still can't believe my new interest at the time in the female sex caused me to miss it!!!!

13 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Just out of interest, was the Dolman open at that point?

I've got the programme for that game and in the notes it says the Dolman Stand was "nearly completed" although I believe it was being used for the first time that season (70/71), Cardiff was the 2nd home game and probably the 2nd time it was used, the first game that season was against Sunderland.

Yes people were sat in the Dolman Stand. I was stood on the Open End where that last minute goal went in. That was so fitting as in December 1969, John Toshack scored for Cardiff in the last minute to give them a 1-0 win. My overall memory of that August day though is the incredible heat. The Sun beat down from a cloud less sky. It was bad enough stood watching,but it would be interesting to see how much weight the players lost running around in the heat.

For younger members of this forum,players could only get a drink at half time, not throughout the game from bottle as is the current practice.

37 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I've got the programme for that game and in the notes it says the Dolman Stand was "nearly completed" although I believe it was being used for the first time that season (70/71), Cardiff was the 2nd home game and probably the 2nd time it was used, the first game that season was against Sunderland.

Never happen now. Half the Dolman was open, the other half was still a building site, no testing or anything !

28 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Thanks for the replies on the Dolman. I've seen some pictures of that stand with what appear to be clear end panels. It could still have been under construction or was it actually like that to start with?  

Yes it was clear corrugated plastic cladding . That lasted until the first winter storm stove them both in, so they went back to the standard asbestos sheeting .

22 hours ago, Rich said:

ski-head-riot-bristol-cardiff-football-match.jpgAnyone remember this, I was fifteen at the time. The excitement going to games then was immens

e. Much nicer experience nowadays, when it's back

For anyone who is interested,  - the incident would be close to the horse and cart on the right of this picture outside ashton gate brewery on the corner of ashton road and north street .

2043340194_6491ee95df_c.jpg

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes it was clear corrugated plastic cladding . That lasted until the first winter storm stove them both in, so they went back to the standard asbestos sheeting .

A mid week  game v Oxford. The game continued, those sat at the ends moved to other seats. Unlike today no mass evacuation or abandoning the game. The East End started a new chant "We've got the rubble end"! ?

40 minutes ago, 22A said:

A mid week  game v Oxford. The game continued, those sat at the ends moved to other seats. Unlike today no mass evacuation or abandoning the game. The East End started a new chant "We've got the rubble end"! ?

Got told once on "very" good authority Oxford couldn't be budged out of the east end..... 

On 13/04/2020 at 13:28, Rich said:

ski-head-riot-bristol-cardiff-football-match.jpgAnyone remember this, I was fifteen at the time. The excitement going to games then was immense. Much nicer experience nowadays, when it's back

Fans still sometimes fighting in that same area almost 50 years on.

The 'youngsters' above must be 70 and over now. Wonder what they would make of their younger selves if they saw the picture?

31 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fans still sometimes fighting in that same area almost 50 years on.

The 'youngsters' above must be 70 and over now. Wonder what they would make of their younger selves if they saw the picture?

I think some in that photo may still be at it ! ???

20 hours ago, Final 3 Star said:

I remember it well... Trevor Tainton cutting in from the right edge of the box at the Open End. Figured he was going to take a shot, but then pulled it back for Gerry Sharpe to rifle home. Great stuff!!

How do you remember the build up play to City’s goals 50 years ago?

I can’t even remember some of the goals from this season!

On 13/04/2020 at 13:28, Rich said:

ski-head-riot-bristol-cardiff-football-match.jpg 

Anyone know if that's City fans 'putting the boot in' or a present day City septuagenarian on the receiving end?

No colours and the boot boys attire of choice presumably more or less the same for both sides.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Anyone know if that's City fans 'putting the boot in' or a present day City septuagenarian on the receiving end?

No colours and the boot boys attire of choice presumably more or less the same for both sides.

Possibly some of these likely lads will know. image.thumb.png.a6c19dab612b08aa85843f82403f4ea5.png

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Seeing as no one on her has confessed to being captured for posterity in the picture,I am guessing it is the taffs.

28 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Seeing as no one on her has confessed to being captured for posterity in the picture,I am guessing it is the taffs.

Don't think they were that well dressed.  They were a scruffy lot and a couple of years behind the fashions, 1973 still dressing as skinheads.

Wasn’t it one of the very few times we gone done on our patch when Cardiff came over for a League Cup tie around that time?  It was an early round, and think we won the first leg convincingly at their place. The second leg was seen by me, and others, as a non-event. Didn’t even bother going, which was unusual for a local derby.

For whatever reason, Cardiff decided to come in big numbers and ran riot around Bedminster area. Wasn’t there something like 100 odd arrests, including the son of a famous Welsh footballer.  

Can’t recall many others running amok in BS3.... although the usual suspects Millwall, Brum have caused a few anxious moments. 

Archived