IGNORED

City V Cardiff 1970

Rich

4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Looks like John Feeney standing to the right of Angus.

Great guy with a smashing sense of humour, whose brothers were good friends of mine.

I think one of the brothers is immortalised in a book about Arsenal fans in the 70s. One of the Gooners recalls a demented City nutter biting chunks out of them during a flare up in a pub near the Gate.

Others by initial only (in case they don't want their names put out there), I D,   A N,   A W,   D E.

10 hours ago, pogue malone said:

I loved that city team, money was tight for my family, and me and mate would walk from southmead to get in at half time when gates were open

Had an easier walk from Knowle West mates dad worked on the dolman used to be a place to sneak in 

20 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Scan_cardiff20200416.thumb.png.5e75195f4e88e6603c64bc3b4040fa7b.png

That line up, including Tainton as Sub was the same every week. We onlyy needed a programme as a souvenir of the game and to see who was playing for the oppos.

Despite the difference in heights, at one point Dickie Rooks out jumped Toshack to win a header.

On a sadder note this was to be Gerry Sharpe's final season due to that tackle / physical assault  in January.

Please correct if wrong, but the following season did Cashley replace Gibbo in goal? Gordon Parr also departed after 18 years and moved to Waterford. They then won the Irish league, so after all that time as being steady rather than spectacular for City, there he played in the European Champions Cup in 72/73.

12 minutes ago, 22A said:

That line up, including Tainton as Sub was the same every week. We onlyy needed a programme as a souvenir of the game and to see who was playing for the oppos.

Despite the difference in heights, at one point Dickie Rooks out jumped Toshack to win a header.

On a sadder note this was to be Gerry Sharpe's final season due to that tackle / physical assault  in January.

Please correct if wrong, but the following season did Cashley replace Gibbo in goal? Gordon Parr also departed after 18 years and moved to Waterford. They then won the Irish league, so after all that time as being steady rather than spectacular for City, there he played in the European Champions Cup in 72/73.

Cash appeared towards the end of 70/71 (played 11 games). In 71/72 Gibbo was still in the squad but only played 11 games (mid-season) and Cashley played the rest. The following season Gibbo had gone and Len Bond was the backup for Cash

21 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Looks like John Feeney standing to the right of Angus.

Great guy with a smashing sense of humour, whose brothers were good friends of mine.

I think one of the brothers is immortalised in a book about Arsenal fans in the 70s. One of the Gooners recalls a demented City nutter biting chunks out of them during a flare up in a pub near the Gate.

Feeney had ginger/red hair as i remember and is not on the photo ?

All these lads were part of about 50 of us who would hire our own coach (Turners) and travel away for a bit of a laugh.

We all looked after each other with no real harm done and all part of what was going on at the time.

5 hours ago, BobbyC said:

Feeney had ginger/red hair as i remember and is not on the photo ?

All these lads were part of about 50 of us who would hire our own coach (Turners) and travel away for a bit of a laugh.

We all looked after each other with no real harm done and all part of what was going on at the time.

Were there two or three Taunton lads who went with you?

I`m thinking NN, JJ and PC if that means anything to you mate.

12 hours ago, archie andrews said:

JJ told me about oxford he reckoned it were 68....I swear on my accountants eyesight mind......

The 0-4 game was Oct 70, they also came on the East End early in the April 72 game, (4-2), they got run out before the match started, I kicked one up the ass to cheerily send him on his merry way

Archived