IGNORED

The worst thing you think a city player has ever done (possibly allegedly)

Unan

On 14/04/2020 at 20:31, CodeRed said:

Worst thing ever by a City player?

Has to be County Ground Swindon, Stratton Bank, Lee Miller .......FFS. How did he Not score, ANYONE between 9 and 90 and less than 9 hours dead scores that open goal.....

I've been banging on about this for years, he completely bottled it that day one quick glance at the keeper and shut his friging eyes.

Absolutely gutless 

On 19/04/2020 at 21:00, Between heaven and hell said:

But you felt obliged to have your little comment didnt  you.

I'm sorry mate, it's not just you, Lee missing that one has become a tired old chestnut. Why not remember the brilliant goals he scored for us instead? eg the brilliant header from a corner at Grimsby Town when we won our 10th game on the trot and went top of League 1?

On 14/04/2020 at 22:11, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Christian Roberts’s autobiography reveals a lot about the drinking culture of the Danny Wilson years, some of it quite astonishing...

There was many of us witnessing it but most chose to ignore it.  Peacock being thrown out of a taxi by training ground because he threw up was the worst. Police found him in a nearby ditch at 5am. Missed the Brighton away game which we won 4-1 without him ?

14 hours ago, TomF said:

There was many of us witnessing it but most chose to ignore it.  Peacock being thrown out of a taxi by training ground because he threw up was the worst. Police found him in a nearby ditch at 5am. Missed the Brighton away game which we won 4-1 without him ?

I`d love to know if we were an exception back then or were a lot of other clubs the same. You`d think if it was just us we`d be getting stuffed every game.

On 21/04/2020 at 10:00, 77 punk said:

has anybody got a video clip of the miller miss at swindon i can remember that miss causing me a lot of misery !

I have it in my head - I was at the front, in line with him and that post. I saw it leave his head, saw the ball on its way from his head, his expression change as he missed and then the final whistle. It can only have been an instant but I see the agony of it all in slow motion. Thanks for reminding me!!!

Off topic, but I've seen it mentioned a few times in here (and many, many times over the years). This is probably a very unpopular opinion; but I never blamed Miller's miss at Swindon for us missing out on automatic promotion that season.

For me there was always one game that stood out (and still makes me annoyed) - Just after Sheffield Wednesday had beaten us to end the winning streak we had a golden opportunity: facing a crap Wycombe side (rooted to the bottom of the table and managed by Tony Adams at the time I believe?) at home. Somehow we contrived to squander a lead and I'm sure from memory Jermaine McSporran equalised in front of the East End fairly late on.

I think that we won something like 1 in 7 games in the league and undid so much of the good work we had done before. Can't help but think if we'd won that game so soon after the Hillsborough defeat we'd have put ourselves right back on track and finished in the automatic places quite comfortably.

46 minutes ago, Calculus said:

I have it in my head - I was at the front, in line with him and that post. I saw it leave his head, saw the ball on its way from his head, his expression change as he missed and then the final whistle. It can only have been an instant but I see the agony of it all in slow motion. Thanks for reminding me!!!

As much as we can blame Miller for that miss, we should have beaten Brighton at home a few weeks later. Everyone was happy QPR had lost to Plymouth at FT that day yet we failed to capitalise.  

13 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

Off topic, but I've seen it mentioned a few times in here (and many, many times over the years). This is probably a very unpopular opinion; but I never blamed Miller's miss at Swindon for us missing out on automatic promotion that season.

For me there was always one game that stood out (and still makes me annoyed) - Just after Sheffield Wednesday had beaten us to end the winning streak we had a golden opportunity: facing a crap Wycombe side (rooted to the bottom of the table and managed by Tony Adams at the time I believe?) at home. Somehow we contrived to squander a lead and I'm sure from memory Jermaine McSporran equalised in front of the East End fairly late on.

I think that we won something like 1 in 7 games in the league and undid so much of the good work we had done before. Can't help but think if we'd won that game so soon after the Hillsborough defeat we'd have put ourselves right back on track and finished in the automatic places quite comfortably.

Might have been the week after that Wycombe game (was certainly in that slump following the winning run) we were away at Stockport and got beat 2-0 with an abject performance on a pitch that was more akin to a ploughed field as they were sharing with Sale Sharks at the time. Remember our end streaming out of the ground with 5 minutes left with the home fans giving it the "cheerio, cheerio" and that 11 game winning streak felt a lifetime ago.

18 minutes ago, TomF said:

As much as we can blame Miller for that miss, we should have beaten Brighton at home a few weeks later. Everyone was happy QPR had lost to Plymouth at FT that day yet we failed to capitalise.  

I know, I know, but the thing about that miss is what it was the last touch of the match - if he scores we win. We get 3 points not 1. A certainty. No ifs, maybes, should haves or anything else. Can't ever remember anything similar. Miller, of course, is unlucky that his error is so exposed, so obviously the cause of a lost victory but there it is...

On 16/04/2020 at 01:20, poland_exile said:

On the pitch, I'd say Baird giving the crowd the v's up - don't think he ever played again after that? Off the pitch - my memory is a muddle but I'm sure there were "oi, that's my mrs" incidents involving Jacki and another player or Robbie Turner and someone else?

Tins did the same in front of the Dolman, or did I imagine it?

2 hours ago, TomF said:

A 0-0 draw IIRC. I remember the whole of AG being really up for it and convinced we`d win only to end up with a pretty insipid performance from City.

28 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A 0-0 draw IIRC. I remember the whole of AG being really up for it and convinced we`d win only to end up with a pretty insipid performance from City.

Yep we were dire that day and Brighton only ever came for a point.   You could also argue we completely threw away that winning run at turn of the year by then taking 4 points from a possible 36 in March.  

The lot of a City fan since 1980....Terrible misses, terrible performances and failure....With the very occasional high spot of One Championship and two League Cup semis.... 

With that much failure its no wonder some get heated over yet another abject performance! 

You Know I'm quite enjoying the break from it. Cathartic on some level.

In defence of Miller he was stretching and got as much on it as he could and hit the post. I have seen a lot worse by our players, but as the bloke said above it was high profile match at Swindle! I suppose the upside of whats going on Since SL took over is Swindle and Rovers are no longer considered rivals on or off the field

Archived