IGNORED

The worst thing you've seen a City player do on the pitch

Unan

Lee Johnson in 2007 against Southampton. Jamie McAllister and Grzegorz Rasiak were having words when LJ decided to become peacemaker by sidling up to Rasiak and elbowing him in the stomach (it was as high as he could reach) Rasiak then cuffed LJ on his head. LJ went down as though hit by Mike Tyson in his prime and stayed down (probably through embarrassment at having gone down in the first place) and getting Rasiak sent off. My mate's then 10 year old daughter exclaimed' I can't believe what Johnson just did!'

14 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

On a similar line, Carl Shutt in the play off game at Walsall. City had a corner right in front of us, and as the taker floated it in, Shutt just punched goalkeeper Fred Barber square in the face. Obviously got sent off.

It's funny how time plays tricks on you. We were by the half way line and my memory was like you say from a corner but the keeper collects the ball having dived on it. To me it looked like Shutty saying "You get up and I'll deck you." He did and he did. Don't forget I was only 50 yards away and my vision plus hearing were perfect!

My list of City horrors is endless! However top few in no particular order

Atteveld Millwall away. Sublime chip from 30 yards over his own goalkeeper...But we did win in the end!

being done by six anytime AT Home...Sunderland and Wolves spring to mind

Miller hitting the post at Swindon

Being 3 down at Swindon inside 10 minutes....Nearly bringing it back but Akinbye hit the cross bar from two yards out with the goal gaping.

Sags last minute equalizer at AG...The bloke smacking them as they left the field is quite a memory

I could go on!!

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Gordon Parr coming on as sub on a Friday night against Carlisle. We were three or four nil down at the time and Stan Bowles had hit three. In the first minute on arriving he belted SB straight in the kisser , he went down like a sack of shit, spark out !  Unbelievably neither ref or lino spotted it. In the players bar after Gordon merely said....... "No one takes the piss out of Bristol City ." !:clap:

Slarti, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Stan break his leg at Ashton Gate? The story, if true, is that the St John's ambulance stretcher bearers loaded Stan onto the canvas and took him to the car park. As the ambulance hadn't arrived they left him there for ten minutes on his own!

2 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Slarti, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Stan break his leg at Ashton Gate? The story, if true, is that the St John's ambulance stretcher bearers loaded Stan onto the canvas and took him to the car park. As the ambulance hadn't arrived they left him there for ten minutes on his own!

Yeah he was playing for QPR....His wife had just left him and it was all over the news. The ee were singing Staley where’s ya wife gone at a corner...Stan turned to us raised his hands and shrugged....Funniest thing ever...I was talking to a Rangers fan about it the other day....Then Stan broke his leg. If I remember it was a bit innocuous, but i would say that!

Can't remember the game, but seem to remember it was Paul Agostino was virtually on the goal line, when the ball was squared  for him to tap into an open net, but he decided to show boat and let the ball pass him so he could reverse kick it in (if that makes sense) and missed, can't remember the score but think the miss was important

Not the worst thing but certainly strange. Tom Ritchie, must be around 1980 ish, somehow lost his shirt during the match. He may have been having it tugged, and took it off to offer it to his opponant. Anyhow, he put it back on the wrong way round and spent the rest of the game with a big number 8 on his chest. Also, the City player (Baird  ? )who got sent off and then climbed up into the Atyeo stand and tried watching the game with the fans. The ref was having none of it. 

48 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

He screws our season right up missed one last game against Swindon so missed the playoffs then missed one at Wembley.

Remember placard back of coach        Gordon Owen Lynch Squad

He was, important missed  penalties apart, a tidy little winger who played a big part in the club’s success .

I feel a bit sorry for him actually they largely overshadow the good things he did here . 

2 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Yes, I seem to remember that incident, but I believe that was another game, playing for someone else ?

4 minutes ago, man in the middle said:

Sat right behind the goal that game. Shouted “why don’t you just **** off Jame” hope he heard me. What a joke!

Same here, just high enough so the crossbar was in line with the edge of our box. Thought I miss saw it when it happened, unfortunately not. 

Back in 1967 or 68, City at home to Gas in Gloster Cup Final.

City playing toward Covered End and Chris Crowe was making Rovers left back, Alex Munro, look a total idiot.

Crowe got the ball on halfway and set out at pace toward the corner flag. Munro, half way inside his own half and fifteen yards from touch line, ran as fast as he could with the aim of taking Crowd into the enclosure terracing.

As they got closer and closer, at the last second, Crowe stopped dead and the Gas left back smashed shin first in to the concrete and wood "ringside seats".

I can't remember if it finished Munro's career but my question is: Was this a bad thing for Crowe to do?

It's the only time I have laughed at seeing any footballer break his leg!

9 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

From what I have seen just this season, Semenyo's 20 min shift v Reading.

I’ve always hated the recent football phrase “ he put in a shift” - the way the world is at the moment really shows how ridiculous that wording is, not having a go at you OTIK - but footballers haven’t got a clue what it means to ‘put in a shift’ ...

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Back in 1967 or 68, City at home to Gas in Gloster Cup Final.

City playing toward Covered End and Chris Crowe was making Rovers left back, Alex Munro, look a total idiot.

Crowe got the ball on halfway and set out at pace toward the corner flag. Munro, half way inside his own half and fifteen yards from touch line, ran as fast as he could with the aim of taking Crowd into the enclosure terracing.

As they got closer and closer, at the last second, Crowe stopped dead and the Gas left back smashed shin first in to the concrete and wood "ringside seats".

I can't remember if it finished Munro's career but my question is: Was this a bad thing for Crowe to do?

It's the only time I have laughed at seeing any footballer break his leg!

Stood near there heard the crack first Derby was  11

6 hours ago, man in the middle said:

Sat right behind the goal that game. Shouted “why don’t you just **** off Jame” hope he heard me. What a joke!

I am pretty sure that, after that howler, Del-boy dropped James and re-installed Dean Gherken, and we went on an unbeaten 8 match run which included beating our long standing bogey team Forest away live on Sky (Chris Woods penalty) with head bandaged Louis Carey being interviewed straight after the game. Then beating Coventry at home over the Easter weekend.

On 15/04/2020 at 01:53, New Dazzler said:

I am pretty sure that, after that howler, Del-boy dropped James and re-installed Dean Gherken, and we went on an unbeaten 8 match run which included beating our long standing bogey team Forest away live on Sky (Chris Woods penalty) with head bandaged Louis Carey being interviewed straight after the game. Then beating Coventry at home over the Easter weekend.

Gherken was a much better keeper at the time, James was only in the team cus he was on 20k a week 

On 14/04/2020 at 22:38, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ve always hated the recent football phrase “ he put in a shift” - the way the world is at the moment really shows how ridiculous that wording is, not having a go at you OTIK - but footballers haven’t got a clue what it means to ‘put in a shift’ ...

I think the whole point was Semenyo did not put in a shift. Neither in the context of a footballer nor of someone doing amazing things in the NHS...

On 14/04/2020 at 14:20, The Horse With No Name said:

Not the worst thing but certainly strange. Tom Ritchie, must be around 1980 ish, somehow lost his shirt during the match. He may have been having it tugged, and took it off to offer it to his opponant. Anyhow, he put it back on the wrong way round and spent the rest of the game with a big number 8 on his chest. Also, the City player (Baird  ? )who got sent off and then climbed up into the Atyeo stand and tried watching the game with the fans. The ref was having none of it. 

I’m pretty sure we took the field with two players wearing the same number, so Ritchie changed to wear number 8 and put the shirt on back to front, so he played the rest of the first half with the number on his chest. 

Archived