IGNORED

Games you remember fondly that didn't mean very much

Unan

19 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Games that meant nothing at the time, rather than games that ultimately ended up meaningless eg vs Wolves December 2017.

Or the latter, who am I to dictate.

Apart from the fact that every game that didn't end in promotion (or relegation, come to that) is deemed meaningless, the one I really enjoyed was City 6 Fulham 0   end of 68-69 season.

A meaningless game I highly enjoyed was QPR 3-3 city in the league cup this year! Or else I recall us drawing 2-2 (I think?) at home to Wolves in the howling wind a few years ago. I’m sure at least one of our goals took a big helping hand from the weather.

Trouble is, almost every single game feels meaningful at the time. And ironically nearly every single one ends up completely meaningless in the end. 

4 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

A meaningless game I highly enjoyed was QPR 3-3 city in the league cup this year! Or else I recall us drawing 2-2 (I think?) at home to Wolves in the howling wind a few years ago. I’m sure at least one of our goals took a big helping hand from the weather.

Trouble is, almost every single game feels meaningful at the time. And ironically nearly every single one ends up completely meaningless in the end. 

Wasn't that the game Basso could barely kick it out of the box, due to wind. The second half started and the wind done a 180, negatively effecting us again. 

Two spring to mind, both midweek away games.

Bolton. About 100 City on that huge terrace at Burnden Park freezing our nuts off and winning, I think, 4-0. The Bolton fans started singing `There`s only one player trying` and it went on for ages. The player in question was Warren Joyce.

Chesterfield. Again, only a few of us there and we`re winning again. Dave Waller got subbed for them (probably their best player at the time) and didn`t take it too well. At the old Saltergate the front of the main stand was bare brickwork (like the Dolman used to be) with one solitary door on about the half way line. Waller stormed off, wrenched the door open, and slammed it so hard behind him that the noise echoed around the stadium.

I have no idea why these two games and incidents stick in my mind best part of 35 years later.

Can't remember if there was anything on it but against Cardiff the snow had been swept off the playing surface, we had free programs, lost 6-0 and remember a lot of the programs ended up as paper aeroplanes, it was flipping freezing 

2 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Can't remember if there was anything on it but against Cardiff the snow had been swept off the playing surface, we had free programs, lost 6-0 and remember a lot of the programs ended up as paper aeroplanes, it was flipping freezing 

I can still remember the smug, self-satisfied smirk on that irritating shit Ross McCormick`s face as he ran round in front of the Atyeo after scoring as if it was yesterday.

Watford away 1997, I think.

We’d been traveling to home games on our own since we were 12 (a tight little group of us, who’s number swelled with the banjo boys our age that got the same bus and latterly the Portishead boys) and been sneaking into pubs for a year or so.

In the build up to this match all the talk in the pubs was catching the train up and previously we had only got cats to away games.

I remember saving my Asda money for a return ticket, getting my mum to drive me down a couple of weeks before and buying  4 return tickets to Paddington.

On that Saturday, I got dropped off outside temple meads, saw a couple of older blokes who I recognized and followed them to our platform.

From the moment I stood on the platform, the day that unfolded was just mesmerizing. Paddington, to Euston, to Watford Gap. The most amazing day I had ever experienced.

It completely changed my expectation of football and redefined who I was as a person.

It set the tone for the following 23 years.

I often think about that first away day on the train. Its something I’ll think about to the end of my days.

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Watford away 1997, I think.

From the moment I stood on the platform, the day that unfolded was just mesmerizing. Paddington, to Euston, to Watford Gap. The most amazing day I had ever experienced.

Er, I think you mean Watford Junction, or High Street. If it was Watford Gap you'd have been miles away !  :laugh:

1 hour ago, SDBS36 said:

Glad you mentioned that one mate.Probably shouldn't admit it but I thought it was absolutely hilarious, probably due to the reactions of the City fans.

2 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Er, I think you mean Watford Junction, or High Street. If it was Watford Gap you'd have been miles away !  :laugh:

? Of course!

The most important thing to remember though was ‘we need to make sure we link up with Jaspers coaches’ ?

Probably all you need to know, but at the time I thought it was a travel company.?

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Two spring to mind, both midweek away games.

Bolton. About 100 City on that huge terrace at Burnden Park freezing our nuts off and winning, I think, 4-0. The Bolton fans started singing `There`s only one player trying` and it went on for ages. The player in question was Warren Joyce.

Yes, I was there for that one.............god knows why ?

Beating Barnsley away during the run-in of 2004.

We could have scored a hatful on a hot, sunny day at Oakwell. I remember it most because Tony Rougier was absolutely superb and tore them to shreds all afternoon.

As I sat down on our CATS coach with my mates afterwards and reflected on the game, I remember thinking that even if QPR won their last match and beat us to promotion, nobody would be able to live with us in the play-offs ?

Pompey 2 City 3 - Feb 1993 - it was ultimately the result that cost them automatic promotion and then they lost in the play offs - we had nothing to play for .... we stayed in Portsmouth that weekend and they were angry, very angry ... it was watch yer back time, but I still laughed at them! And at the very end of that season we relegated Brentford when we had nothing to play for to send them down and keep Sunderland up ... I actually felt sorry for their fans that day 

Coventry away in 14/15, 3000 odd city fans which was probably over a third of the overall attendance and a few goals to boot while winning.

Watford home probably sometime around 10/11, just remember it because Henri Lansbury was off the pitch injured and ran back on to stop a counter attack getting a yellow for it, Tom Cleverley also played for them.

Southampton away under possibly McInnes? We hadn’t won away for a long time and all they needed to do was draw to go a whole year unbeaten at home. Needless to say we got one of the strangest wins of the season, they went on to ease to the league title and we stayed up fairly comfortably  

2-0 win over Forest, 9 Feb 13. Leaving aside it was our first home win over them for ages (which was a great 18th birthday present for my niece sat with me), pre-match in the Tobacco Factory turned out to be the last time I saw my dad alive (I headed back to Cayman on the Monday, and he died the following week). Maybe fondly isn't the right word....

Archived