IGNORED

Captain Sir Tom Moore

Slacker

Unfortunately, once he was admitted to hospital, aged 100 and suffering from both pneumonia and COVID, this was always to be expected, and the news yesterday evening that his close family were at his bedside suggested it was only a matter of time.

Nevertheless, I have no shame in admitting that my eyes are moist as I type this, and I cannot help but admire a man who gave so much, both during the war and towards the end of his very worthwhile life. 

His family can be very proud of him.

R.I.P. Captain Sir Tom Moore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

"Over the last five years, Moore had been receiving treatment for prostate and skin cancer, his family said. He had not been vaccinated against COVID-19 due to the other medication he was taking."

It would seem that this truly honourable and humble man kept that a secret.

And, to think, there are some who would ring in to work sick when they have a little 'sniffle' - truly, inspirational, but, of course, from a different generation.

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Captain Sir Tom Moore
On 02/02/2021 at 20:12, PHILINFRANCE said:

It would seem that this truly honourable and humble man kept that a secret.

And, to think, there are some who would ring in to work sick when they have a little 'sniffle' - truly, inspirational, but, of course, from a different generation.

A pretty sobering fact is that by the time us blokes reach 80, half of us are likely to have prostate cancer (although we won't all know it).

It's a gland with a seeming inbuilt self-destruct mechanism and it's one of the reasons women live significantly longer than men.

As the second most prevalent carcinomic malignancy (after lung cancer) it seems to me that very few resources are devoted into research into it, simply because most victims are elderly men.