IGNORED

Joe Morrell Article

Silvio Dante

10 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Do you not see a future for Korey next season then? Would have him in over Nagy and Massengo if Im honest. 

A central 3 suits IMO anyway, Nagy, Massengo and I'd suggest Walsh as well. 

You won't see the best of them without one- and you won't see the best of our squad without one. LJ is the problem, in this respect at least I think.

Korey? If he can get fit and something like his old self why not, well worth it- problem is, with the regular and recurring injuries is it possible anymore?

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You won't see the best of them without one- and you won't see the best of our squad without one. LJ is the problem, in this respect at least I think.

Korey? If he can get fit and something like his old self why not, well worth it- problem is, with the regular and recurring injuries is it possible anymore?

Walsh Morrell and Korey first not seen anything from Nagy and Massengo to suggest they are better than what was already in the squad regardless of formations

4 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Walsh Morrell and Korey first not seen anything from Nagy and Massengo to suggest they are better than what was already in the squad regardless of formations

We haven't played a system that would suit them best. That would be 4-3-3 IMO, so it's hard to say.

Massengo in particular is from a highly renowned academy. Check Monaco's track record- don't produce a lot of duds.

I'm not saying they're definitely better, but OTOH the jury is out for me. Massengo is 18- still pretty early in his development trajectory to say the least!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We haven't played a system that would suit them best. That would be 4-3-3 IMO, so it's hard to say.

Massengo in particular is from a highly renowned academy. Check Monaco's track record- don't produce a lot of duds.

I'm not saying they're definitely better, but OTOH the jury is out for me. Massengo is 18- still pretty early in his development trajectory to say the least!

Both signings were unnecessary Massengo shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. After that performance against Stoke last season Walsh should have played the next 10 games regardless to see if he could recreate that regularly. A player who can get on the ball and make things happen how we've needed that this season 

8 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Both signings were unnecessary Massengo shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. After that performance against Stoke last season Walsh should have played the next 10 games regardless to see if he could recreate that regularly. A player who can get on the ball and make things happen how we've needed that this season 

The shape we play and how LJ wants us to set up in conjunction with that will always leave us at a disadvantage in this division.

Look at the top sides in this division- all control the ball better than us, all play a bona fide central 3, all have lots of flexibility and fluidity. Some have bigger budgets ie Parachute Payments, some have more cash- but not all.

Massengo is 18. Long way to develop yet. Walsh, you won't get the best out of if not in a 3 (IMO). Genuine 3 will often outmanouvre 2 or whatever hybrid LJ devises- and will make players suited to it less effective or seem less effective than they might be.

Don't disagree on Walsh though, he's been badly underused.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The shape we play and how LJ wants us to set up in conjunction with that will always leave us at a disadvantage in this division.

Look at the top sides in this division- all control the ball better than us, all play a bona fide central 3, all have lots of flexibility and fluidity. Some have bigger budgets ie Parachute Payments, some have more cash- but not all.

Massengo is 18. Long way to develop yet. Walsh, you won't get the best out of if not in a 3 (IMO). Genuine 3 will often outmanouvre 2 or whatever hybrid LJ devises- and will make players suited to it less effective or seem less effective than they might be.

Don't disagree on Walsh though, he's been badly underused.

The central 3 should be Smith Morrell and Walsh I sometimes question if Johnson has the ability to see what's right in front of him, can he spot a player? it seems 95% of his signings are no better than what's already there. Hendriksen Why? 

9 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

The central 3 should be Smith Morrell and Walsh I sometimes question if Johnson has the ability to see what's right in front of him, can he spot a player? it seems 95% of his signings are no better than what's already there. Hendriksen Why? 

Henriksen is another you won't get the best out of without a 3 IMO.

Pre injury Smith I might agree, but is he the same post injury?

Pretty solid record in a middling Championship side, Henriksen- don't think the players are often the issue, or haven't been of late. 

I'm fairly sure that, Leeds, Brentford, likely WBA and quite possibly Fulham- these would find a way to get a higher optimum level out of Nagy and possibly Massengo than LJ. Is Nagy of such a different level to Klich at Leeds eg? Or Norgaard at Brentford? Two important players in their respective sides- I reckon you could interchange (a pretty much fully fit granted) Nagy for either of them and not notice much of a difference in those shapes.

Lot of scepticism about foreign players on here though- him watching Verratti, you won't like that eh. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He’s already got fit and something like his old self..! Been our best player, along with Fam, since he’s returned. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Debatable- don't think we'll ever see the true Korey pre significant injuries.

Doesn't mean we should get rid of course.

Of course it’s debatable. Football is all about opinions. 
I’ve been delighted by how strong he’s returned. 
We miss him so much, defensively, when he’s not in the team. 

26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agree, think he’s got back up to speed really well, been impressed.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Would, be better still, I think if in a 3, ie a bona-fide 3.

That's a wider debate though. He's done well but given the number of goals we shipped from Birmingham at home onwards, not so certain.

6 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Massengo is 18 give him a chance smith coming to the end of his days you have to be exceptionally quick in a championship midfield .

16 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Massengo is 18 give him a chance smith coming to the end of his days you have to be exceptionally quick in a championship midfield .

Brownhill, Eliasson, O'Dowda (to an extent of seeing his best) took a season to adjust before we saw their best, clear signs that players do need a year before showing what they can really do

7 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

Walsh can play, no question, he has to be part of the 11 next season.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interested in the line of reasoning though by @ORANGE500 that says a guy from a highly renowned academy such as Monaco, and scouted (if press to be believed) by Arsenal, Chelsea and  Borussia Dortmund, isn't good enough for us.

HNM is a player. He will move on to bigger things.....but, hopefully not soon.

I came over for that Stoke game when Liam Walsh came on for the second half. I gave up my season ticket in 1994 when I moved to Stoke but was still able to watch the reds at least a dozen times a season. I say this as I'm struggling to remember a player that made that much of an impact and continued to do so albeit on loan. Liam, what a stunning second half performance that was.

I listened to Joe's debut live on the City iplayer. He sounded like the next Gerry Gow but maybe not as physical. Having watched his progress at Lincoln and together with Liam, what a season they have on store.

Well done Brian Tinnion and Lee Johnson for not giving up on them. Now put them in the first team and show to others that our academy is worth joining.

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

HNM is a player. He will move on to bigger things.....but, hopefully not soon.

Agree.  Sometimes it’s worth ignoring where the ball is and just watching him.  Of course he’s had the odd poor game, name me a City player who hasn’t this season...he’s done better than I expected following arrival 8n a new country.  LJ was hoping to bed him in gently, the odd 10-20 minute sub appearance, cup games, etc....but Nagy’s injury meant he went straight in.  He’s done well in my book.

I’ll never understand our January signings this year. It was almost like we were making up for the last two. We should’ve brought in the striker and re-called Morrell or Walsh. As a result we became bloated and almost straight away there were reports of changing room arguments involving Henriksen, who had fallen out with the previous manager he played under. Just seems like we abandoned a system that had served us well in youth and committed talent in favour of a FIFA-esque deadline day. Not that it’s likely to matter.

Would like to see Joe feature next year. It’s also clear as day, to me at least, Liam Walsh given a run of games would be exactly what this side has been missing over the last two seasons. 

55 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I’ll never understand our January signings this year. It was almost like we were making up for the last two. We should’ve brought in the striker and re-called Morrell or Walsh

If we’d recalled Walsh/Morrell and we fell short he’d have been accused of bottling the transfer window, pressure of being in the run for the play offs again was huge. How many fans would have been against signing Benkovic given how much he cost Leicester.

Archived